fan fiction ideas opinion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by surak-toc, Sep 15, 2013.

1. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

basically i need some critical opinions off of all of you fan fiction writers and such, below are some of my ideas, nothing solid i should think.

Zeta quadrant stories
    New federation star base, starbase omega with academy on site for orientation, the planet chosen for the base is discovered using a test probe built with a boom tube and automatic recall device.
    New unexplored planets, new species to be discovered, boom tube technology enabling instantaneous travel with fleet to quadrant, cardinal class ships, first class to be equipped with a boom tube drive, fleet of 15 ships to explore and catalogue all flora, fauna, planets and all known species of the zeta quadrant, all possible new members of a brand new alliance formed to bring the federation to a whole new age.
    Cardinal class - exploration ship. The cardinal class maybe built for exploration but it has a range of weaponry that makes it a tough contender in any battle, the cardinal class was designed with the look of the old constitution class of starship in mind.
    The cardinal class uses the main deflector dish as its point for the boom tube drive and when not in use it retracts for repairs, plus with its 4 warp nacelles it can go at warp 10 for ordinary travel to planets in the vicinity.
    Not every cardinal class starship is equip with the same features, earlier models have basic armoury equipment, standard phasers and other weaponry, only a hand full of holosuites for leisure purposes, a reasonable dining suite and other standard Starfleet designated stations.
    All cardinal class ships are equipped with a crew compliment of 225 human and interspecies crew and 225 hard light holograms, a extra 100 crew spaces for new species.
    U.S.S Helix - first cardinal class ship, captained by captain Jacob Moore, his first officer is commander J'onn v'erga a half Klingon, half Vulcan male.
    Starbase Omega - situated on the planet marinus.
    Space dock Hercules - station orbiting the third moon of the planet marinus, space dock Hercules is a massive complex.
    Planet marinus - a planet found in the tor zone of the zeta quadrant, marinus is much like earth in size.
    Unlike earth marinus is a lush unspoiled planet with unimaginable flora and fauna, creatures of the most exotic variety, the planet is home to the race of humanoid beings called the tor.
    The Tor -

the tor idea for a race i have a bit of trouble figuring out what to make of them, the Klingon / Vulcan hybrid is a idea i see as a good one, a character which is an merger of a bit of spock and a bit of worf so to speak, hope you all can give me some solid hard nose criticism.

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless you're specificially doing a crossover story with the Jack Kirby New Gods comics by DC, I'd either call this something else, or use something already in the Trek universe, like the Iconian gateways we saw in TNG.

3. surak-toc

good point there, i will change boom tube for transwarp drive.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if you're setting this in the post TNG/DSN/VOY era, I'd suggest slipstream drive, rather than transwarp drive. the transwarp concept is generally accepted to have been a flop, while the slipstream drive is currently beign used in the published ST novels.

5. surak-toc

fair point, Quantum slipstream drive it is then, the story is post TNG/DSN/VOY era, but its set a 100 years after the dominion war, during that period many new classes of ships have been designed and built ready for the line of duty, the first to travel to the new quadrant, the zeta quadrant is the cardinal class ship, equip with the Quantum slipstream drive, ready to help forge a new alliance in a new area.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the ship can go to warp 10, why would it need slipstream or transwarp?

7. surak-toc

warp 10 for ordinary travel, Quantum Transwarp for quadrant to quadrant travel at way faster speeds.

the captain, Jacob Moore is an ex-red squad leader, ex- Starfleet academy tutor who taught Astro-navigation and stellar cartography, serving after his tutor days on the starship U.S.S Saratoga as its helmsman, then getting promoted to captain after 25 years of the cardinal class ship U.S.S helix

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Warp ten is infinite speed. How can anything be faster than that?

9. surak-toc

from where my story/stories are going to be set from technology has come on a lot more, become even more advance so to speak, the 100 years after the dominion war were hard but races who the federation thought were their enemies became their allies and shared with them some pretty nifty tech

10. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

But you can't get faster than infinitely fast. No matter advances are made technologically, that won't change.

11. surak-toc

having among the help of the other species help they have some push with the travellers help

12. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

USS Helix might be a Cardinal-class ship, but she wouldn't be the first of her class. USS Cardinal would be the first Cardinal-class, as the class is named after the first ship of that design.

13. surak-toc

i forget about that, let put it as the U.S.S helix is the first ship that has all the discussed new upgrades and such from the U.S.S cardinal

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Where did you plan on the Zeta Quadrant being located?

Since all four "Quads" of our galaxy have been named, how about the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy? It's one of the satellite galaxies of the Milky Way Galaxy. It's about 10,000 light-years in diameter, and is about 70,000 light-years from Earth, so it's no farther away than the far side of the Delta Quad.

Fan fiction lives and dies (imho) on the people who inhabit them, while the location and situation are important, the crews of the Starfleet ships, and the people who they encounter are even more important.

You need to flesh out your personnel.

While that is the norm, there have been exceptions in naval history. If multiple Cardinal ships were in simultaneous product, the Helix easily could have been the first commissioned.

:)

15. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

No, it's not. Take a look at the chart in the ST:TNG Tech Manual. It shows that to go Warp Ten requires infinite power. It even says "Power usage approaches infinity." How they read their own chart to later say that Warp Ten is infinite speed is beyond me.

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So what you're saying is warp ten = infinite speed.

Old sources get overwritten all the time. The tech manual chart said one thing, the show went on to say something else.

Anyway, back to the fan fic, he could do what TNG did and rejig the warp scale to allow more factors below infinite. "Go to Warp 15" does sound more dramatic than "Go to Warp 9.99932" or whatever.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  17. surak-toc

i agree with you there, warp 15 it is, it will work better with amount of warp nacelles my ship has

18. surak-toc

A load of great valid information, for where the zeta quadrant is i think the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy is as good as any place for the zeta quadrant.

For me fleshing out my crew i have a little info on my captains history, he is an ex-red squad leader, ex- Starfleet academy tutor who taught Astro-navigation and stellar cartography, serving after his tutor days on the starship U.S.S midnight as its helmsman, then getting promoted to captain after 25 years to the cardinal class ship U.S.S helix.
    info for the Vulcan/Klingon hybrid i can say that he is an genetic experiment combining the best qualities of two of the federations most interesting compadres, i sort of a amalgamation of worf and spock as it were.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Starfleet or whoever changed the warp scale sometime between the TOS era and the beginning of TNG, in the possible future of All Good Things the warp scale was changed (possibly) again to allow for a speed of warp 13.

A century after the Dominion War, sure warp fifteen plus, with the hero ship topping out at warp ten.

Change is good.

:)

20. surak-toc

oh yes, change is very good, i expect through the century there would be some major upgrades in the warp scale and warp related technology