The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

There have been a whirlwind of rumors circulating over The Dark Knight Rises over the past few days, from the outrageous to the downright peculiar. For one, there's the outrageous rumor that Jon Hamm will replace Christian Bale. There's also the rumor that WB is concerned over the script because it is "unique" and there is no name villain for the studio to sell to an audience (not that you need a name villain to sell to an audience with the sequel to The Dark Knight, but okay). Also, apparently, the title was a compromise between WB and Nolan.

Other rumors include that we will see two female leads in the film, in the form of Sarah Essen and Julie Madison (rumor has it, Essen would be a main character and Madison would be supporting). Charlize Theron has been rumored for Essen and Vera Farminga has been rumored for Madison. Clayface by extension has been rumored as a possible villain and a story synopsis has apparently "leaked" that includes Black Mask and Selina Kyle with Harvey Bullock running a Batman Task Force to capture the Batman (according to the synopsis, Gordon hires Bullock because he doesn't think he's equipped to handle the job). Gordon's mission is to prove Batman's innocence, and Selina Kyle is an underling of Black Mask's who is tasked to infiltrate Wayne Enterprises. Deadshot also features in this synopsis, with a role the size of Harvey Dent's from The Dark Knight. Naturally, take all of these rumors with a huge shaker of salt.

I would provide links, but there are so many links and probably more than half if not all of these rumors are probably false, so I thought I would not bother (however I'll provide some for everyone's viewing pleasure).

However, one thing: I hope the "unique" script rumor is true if anything because I hope after Ledger's Joker and the overwhelming success of The Dark Knight that Nolan doesn't so much focus on finding a villain to topple The Joker (which would be nearly impossible) but instead focuses on telling a good story. That's what really matters and who cares if the villain is some obscure Batman character. In fact, I would much rather see someone along the lines of Hugo Strange or Deadshot over The Riddler or Catwoman, but that's just me. So long as the characters tie into the story and don't feel tacked on (which destroyed the last franchise), then I'm all in.

Also, an alleged "insider" from the SuperHeroHype message forums further elaborated on what he has heard for The Dark Knight Rises:

Take it for what you will.

Links:

Alleged plot synopsis: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/board/thread/173074912?d=173074912&p=1#173074912

Clayface/actor rumors
    : http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...ises-rumors-point-to-clayface-as-the-villain/

Charlize Theron rumors: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Charlize-Theron-May-Be-Batgirl-s-Step-Mother-In-Batman-3-21511.html

Sarah Essen and Julie Madison rumors: http://batman-news.com/2010/11/01/will-sarah-essen-julie-madison-be-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

It is not really a rumor but could we possibly see Monk in this film?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_(comics)

[edit] After reading the alleged plot...it sounds pretty interesting and Nolan-like...to me anyway. :lol:

And it said Nolan wanted to call this movie "The Batman" I agree. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sounds like someone heard the chatter about Hamm being touted as a Superman candidate and confused Superman with Batman.

Now, having Essen as a female lead would be intriguing, because that would imply that Jim Gordon would be more central to the story than ever. I can definitely get behind that.

But Julie Madison? Bruce's girlfriend from 1939? Why not Vicki Vale or Silver St. Cloud?

Okay, I read that there some sort of connection in the comics between Julie Madison and some incarnation of Clayface, but it's bizarre that anyone would think Nolan would use such a fanciful character as Clayface.

Now that sounds cool. Basically Gordon picks someone he expects to fail. And maybe Harvey surprises him by turning out to be more competent than he looks.

They could have a hell of a movie here without any "name" villains at all. Just focus on the dangerous game between Batman, Gordon, Bullock, and the city. Batman accepts the role of bad guy and Gordon goes through the motions of chasing him even as they're really allies, but they find they have to make difficult compromises and things start to get out of hand, and this tenuous structure of lies they've built up begins to unravel and threatens to collapse destructively. There could be all sorts of neat psychological stuff going on, Gordon starting out trusting Batman but then starting to resent him for drawing him into this deception that threatens to ruin his life and career, so their feigned enmity becomes closer to reality, and so on. So it's not Batman vs. Riddler or Batman vs. Black Mask or whoever -- it's ultimately Batman vs. Jim Gordon and both men versus the impossible situation they've trapped themselves in. And that could be a hell of a movie if they went that way.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

God, movie studios suck.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Hugo Strange would be the most logical villain for this Batman on the lam plot they've set up.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

No kidding. Who thinks Warners would have wanted to call it Batman 3D? :barf:

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The amount of absolute, unadulterated crap that's cropped up over the past couple of days astounds me.

Beyond credible sources like The Hollywood Reporter and Variety, I trust only the following when it comes to news and/or rumors: Batman on Film, IGN, and SuperHeroHype, and all 3 places are smart enough not to post or even give any form of credibility to the BS that's cropped up. Jett (webmaster and operator of BoF) did post the Essen/Madison rumor, but, after doing some more research into it, has since said that he doesn't think there's any validity to it, but that's the only thing he's touched, and rightfully so.

You'd think people would actually use some common sense when it comes to rumors and stuff, but apparently that's not the case, which has led to the crap that we've been seeing the last two days.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Julie Madison the character played by Elle McPherson in Batman & Robin? That alone makes me think that those rumours have to be untrue.

9. Christopher

As I said, Julie Madison was Bruce Wayne's first love interest in the comics, way back in 1939-41. The character McPherson played in B&R was based on her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Madison

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not only that but Julie and Bruce were engaged if I recall correctly, Tony Daniel I believe it was did a flashback retrospective on the career of Batman after RIP concluded and there was a panel containing a scene where Alfred essentially has to inform Julie that the engagement is off and Bruce is occupied that he can't tell her himself. Something gets reported online and then a whole slew of speculation and rumors starts up from that initial report, for instance...'Nolan Meeting Actresses For New Female Lead' leads to rampart speculation across the internet everyone from Julie Madison to Talia. Drives me insane sometimes.

11. Captaindemotion

I did see your earlier post - but I was asking about that movie specifically, not the old comics :p. My suspicion is that Nolan will want to avoid anything that appeared in B&R.

I agree that it would make more sense to have Silver StCloud (crap name notwithstanding) or Vicki Vale in the movie.

12. Christopher

Except that that would mean avoiding Batman, Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Gotham City, etc. There have to be limits on avoidance.

And really, who even remembers that there was a character called Julie Madison in B&R? I sure didn't. She was a very minor part of the film. I can believe that Nolan would avoid Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy because of the negative associations, but Julie Madison? I don't think so.

13. Admiral_Young

I remember because Elle McPherson played her and it was a big deal back then that was supposed to launch her movie career. I believe that he's avoiding using Robin due to the negative associations that came from the misuse of the character in both "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin". I keep harping on it but a perfectly mature and great Dick Grayson origin story is staring them in their faces with "Batman: Dark Victory" and the tone of how Loeb handled and wrote the character fits perfectly with his films but I digress and it's a moot point since it won't be happening. I just hope that when another director is given the reigns with the film that Robin gets his due and is treated with the same serious and clear headed manner that Batman is and I'm not talking about character, I'm talking about use in the movie.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I do believe the part about WB execs INSISTING on Dark Knight being in the title. Its why the title sounds so lame, they felt they HAD to have it in there suddenly instead of just trusting Nolan and marketing the film in the same effective way they did TDK and Inception.

Not if it's the FIRST Clayface when he was just a human. Before he became the Ultimate Clayface we now know.
    Granted I don't see a way to work in a mad actor on a killing spree into a TDK followup but it would be a way to showcase a villain that has yet to appear on the big screen. He and Killer Croc are about the last big ones to not appear and Bane still needs to be done right but I digress.

Black Mask is a great second tier villain so I could buy into that rumor, at least it makes sense structure wise.

15. Captaindemotion

The difference is that Gordon, Alfred etc are pretty essential to the Bat-mythos. Julie isn't.

As I say, I only have a suspicion that Nolan won't want to use her, but this is bolstered by the fact that Bruce/ Batman has several leading ladies that haven't been used in the Nolanverse or even any of the Batman movies to date. Just as he avoided any villains who'd been used in live-action movies in BB and just as he's not using The Riddler in TDKR, I think he'll do something similar for the female lead in this movie. In particular, I think he'll want to avoid her because of the B&R connection. Vicki Vale is probably a more interesting lead, if he was going to use a character who's already appeared in the movies.

But it's merely a suspicion. :p

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Talia Al Ghul and Hugo Strange would be my picks. With cameos of Selina Kyle and a 3 year old Dick Grayson.

17. Admiral_Young

Grayson won't be in the films period. Talia, Strange, and Black Mask would be my preference I'd be pleasantly surprised to see either of them in the film.

18. Christopher

I'm sure people remember that Elle McPherson was in the movie. That doesn't mean they remember her character's name.

I'm pretty sure he's avoiding Robin because it's unrealistic that Batman would take on an adolescent sidekick, and because a character as bright and colorful as Dick/Robin wouldn't fit the tone of the Nolan movies. Robin is a child's wish-fulfillment fantasy and he works better in a more fanciful context than these films offer. In the Nolan films' gritty universe, a story about Batman taking on a teenager as his sidekick and dressing him in a bright, garish costume would play too much like Miller's TDKR, making Batman come off as a lunatic committing child endangerment.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ My response to that has always been... Make him fit. Anything can work if done right. Nolan did a 600 year old guy with a magic rejuvenation pit afterall.

20. Admiral_Young

Again I cite "Batman:Dark Victory" read it and tell me that Robin origin wouldn't fit perfectly to Nolan's movies. I wish fans would quit giving me arguments why Robin wouldn't work, I'm well aware of why he's not being used and in fact stated why several times. Give me a reason instead why he WOULD work. I'm tired of hearing fans spout the same old tiresome stuff about Robin.