3 more TOS novels added to S&S catalog for 2013

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As 8of5 reports on his Guide to the Trek Collective the Simon and Schuster website has been updated with listings for three new TOS books:

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hm.... A total of 4 TOS novels is perhaps a bit heavy, but then again, this year it's mostly 24th century. I can life with it. Although, I haven't read the TOS books from this year yet, so perhaps I need to order those soon.

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did pretty much the same in 2009 when the movie came out. I guess it worked then, so they're doing it again to tie-in to the next movie.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good point. Didn't think of that.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Oh great - more TOS... :(

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually it seems to be a recurring pattern these days to split the year between a cluster of 23rd-century books and a cluster of 24th-century books. In 2010 we had TOS in January, March, and April, were supposed to have the Abramsverse novels in the middle third of the year, and had Typhon Pact in the last third. In 2011 we had 24th-century stuff from March through May, then Vanguard and TOS from June to September. And this year we've had TOS-era books from January through April and 24th-century books the rest of the year. So if 2013 is heavy with TOS books in the first half of the year, we might see a lot of 24th-century stuff in the back half if the pattern holds.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Good marketing sense leading up to the movie - casual readers probably won't really mind which Kirk and Spock is which...

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just a shame there are still no genuine new universe tie-ins.

And, surely May should be the month of the Star Trek XII novelization? Or will that be a TPB release?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it's not like the YA Academy novels are counterfeits...

Remember, the "May" books come out in late April. So the movie novelization would probably be the "June" book. Although it could be a TPB at that.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but they're still YA. I want bigger and deeper.
    Good point.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Beats more of the depressing as hell 24th century books.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Horses for courses - let's just hope they aren't stand-alones and pick up on the post Vanguard situation.

As they may well be going for the casual reader interested by the new movie, I have my doubts though...may have to reconsider my 'read everything' gameplan.

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I know this is an old argument, and I probably have no chance of convincing you, but anyone that calls Raise The Dawn depressing doesn't know what the word means.

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Wooooo, more classic trek.

Was Deny Thy Father any good? Never picked that one up since riker's such an uninteresting character in general.

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Deny Thy Father was... boring. Nothing particularly bad about it, just nothing particularly good about it either. The only Lost Era book I didn't think was awesome.

16. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Not that great, but I thought it was more interesting than MWB's installment with Sisko and Uhura...

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For the record, The Weight of Worlds is indeed the Book Formerly Known as The Twilight Realm. Some changes to the plot called for a new title.

And let me take a second to welcome Tony Daniel to the ranks of Trek writers. I edited Tony's first two novels, Warpath and Earthling, at Tor years ago and am looking forward to seeing what he does with Trek. (His most recent sf novel just came out from Baen.)

I've also been enjoying Jeff Marriotte's recent CSI novels.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  18. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Hopefully we will get DS9 and TNG novels in the latter half of the year.

19. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't typically read the TOS novels, so these don't really get me excited. However, given the abundance of 24th century Treklit that's scheduled for the latter half of 2012, I guess it's fair to balance the scales a bit.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well Greg's a safe pair of hands, and some new blood could be interesting.

I just hope there's a little 'interconnectedness' being planned into the 23rd Century stuff...