(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

That all said, United do have some very promising youngsters coming through.

Rafael, Fabio, Rodrigo Possebon (who is off to Portugal on loan for this season), Danny Simpson and Federico Macheda for starters. By the time the loss of players like Giggs, Scholes and Neville starts to bite they will be more mature, proven players.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Darren Gibson too who looks like Fergie won't be selling after all. ^ Danny Simpson is going though he never pushed on despite a good debut 2 years ago.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Fergie has set his eyes on getting Ashley Young and I for one would love to see one of England's greatest future prospects join Utd. MON would only consider selling at £20 million but thats no problem and to be honest Fergie should sweeten the deal by offering Nani as a full time replacement or if Villa can't gives Nani the wages he want then a 1 or 2 year Loan deal.

Do you think O Neill would take at least £20 million and Nani ? Also he wants to buy both Downing and Bentley so maybe MON could get rid of Young. I do think MON will buy Bentley and switch Milner possibly into the centre because theres no spark in there middle going forward with Barry's passing gone now. I would take Nani on a season loan because Downing injury means no point in buying him till January you might as well agree a deal that sees Downing return in late October/early November play a bit of championship football and come to PL for Villa in January.

Foster

Brown-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra

Valencia-Scholes-Carrick-Young

Owen-Rooney

I've seen worse ;)

4. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Well if Young did go to United at least he'd finally get a full call up for his country. Playing for a top 4 club is the quickest route into that team. £20m plus Nani though... I'd stick with the cash. Nani has shown he's not good enough, or at least not good enough yet, plenty of times now. Villa need quality sooner rather than later.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think Nani would be good for Villa though because of his potential Fergie could make it a 2 loan season or something he'd only be 24 after that still I think. TBH I would go as high as £25 million in this current transfer market to land someone like Young who would blossom at Man Utd under Fergie.

I would love to see a future Utd Team contain the likes of Rooney, Agbonlahor and Young just because if Utd stays succesful that wouod be good for ENG.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I read this on the Teletext on Monday but I'm not sure if it's true - England are planning a friendly against Brazil to be played in Qatar in November. This would fulfill an outstanding contractual obligation to play an away friendly against Brazil that was part of the deal that brought Brazil to play the first England game at the new Wembley.

Not sure I like the idea of England going to the Middle East in the middle of the season.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

in 2005 we played Argentina in Geneva (december), I don't get why we just don't stay in the continent again?:confused:

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

In a slightly football related story - ITV is having to shake up its soap schedules to make room for Wednesday night Champions League, FA Cup and England international matches.

Coronation Street is being dumped from its traditional Wednesday 7:30pm slot permanently and moved to 8:30pm on Thursdays.

The new Champions League contract means that instead of having two first choice Tuesday night games (with the rest going to Sky) they now have only one first choice Wednesday night game (again, the rest going to Sky).

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Getting back to talking about what clubs should do in the transfer market, lets do Spurs...

IMO Harry might not have as much money as he would like so I wouldn't bother buying a goalkeeper till last but really Cudicini is a much better keeper than Gomes so they need to switch the number 1 Jersey around.

A fit king plays so that leaves Woodgate to partner with Dawson as back up but you need 4 defenders especially with King's dodgy knee. I think someone like Upson, Steven Taylor might fit that mould to play with King or when hes out Woodgate. Corluka at right back is good but can be a little lazy but really I wouldn't spend money here since they have Hutton fit again as back up. Eskottu got better under Harry but Bale needs to leave though getting a left back whos decent is no easy job these days, maybe could ask Utd to loan out Fabio who needs the experience.

Lennon, Modric, Palicios are 3 names always starting so a left winger plus a cover winger is needed. I am not surprised Harry's not looked at brining his old Pompey player Niko Kranjcar whose a 24 year old with some good skills. On the bench for cover maybe he could look at Adam Johnson whocan play either wing or Damien Duff too. I know they want Joe Cole who could be forced out at Chelsea but I think thats unlikely and Young is deffo not going there. Zokora gone, Huddlestone & Jenas could follow so he would need to buy at least 1 midfielder maybe Michael Johnson could reluanch his career there but they do have the promising O Hara & young Bostock.

Keane & Defoe should stay and if he really wants to get rid of Roman & Bent then he should look at Jones at Sunderland for something different or Hunterlaerr who Real have agreed a £17 million bid from Stutgart but I think he would prefer a move to PL and they could get £25 from the sales of Bent and Roman Pal (hate his 2nd name :lol:)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  10. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Looks like Barcelona don't want to be outdone after Real's big spending and are lining up bids for Ribery and Fabergas. Ribery I understand, guy is quality, but Cesc seems more interested in his hair and finding new ways to secretly spit on his opponents so the cameras won't see.

Liverpool also apparently has interest in Ribery. Didn't he say he would only go to Real Madrid, no where else? I doubt Bayern will sell though.

Rape Van Persie signed roughly a 80k a week contract extension, which really is great considering they are overpaying for a guy who will play 25 games and not get along with anyone in the dressing room. The Dutch can't even get along with the Dutch for crying out loud. Solid move.

Apparently Eto'o is done in Barcelona with AC Milan and both Manchester clubs in hot pursuit. That could be interesting.

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not a title-winning side though is it?

Rooney and Owen never performed well together for England, Scholes is over the hill and linked with Everton, Brown offers very little, and none of Valencia, Young or Carrick are likely to hit the back of the net very often.

You've still got a massive Ronaldo-shaped hole in a side lacking in real midfield quality.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I disagree Rooney and Owen worked well between 2003-2005 before injuries on both stopped themn playing them together. Owen scored more but Rooney overall play was impressive 2006-2007 which was Rooney's worst in a ENG shirt was ironically without Owen.

If he could get Young then that would be a good replacement for Young in the long run this boy can be special.

13. ATW

ATW Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't understand after the Champions League why any United fan would leave out Fletcher from the centre of midfield. :confused:

14. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Young still flatters to deceive. He's a talented player, but I don't think he will push on and join the top bracket. He fades very badly in the second half of the season. He's 24 now, the same age as Ronaldo, and older than Messi and Silva. I just don't think he has enough in him. He is, and will continue to be, a good player, but let's not go overboard because he's English and can put in a cross.

The United central midfield is weak compared with Liverpool's or Chelsea's. Pick any two of Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher or Anderson (Ferguson obviously doesn't know his perferred pairing), and it is lacking compared with Essien, Lampard, Alonso or Mascherano. Hargreaves might make the difference, if he can stay fit.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I was waiting for this - Manchester City and Arsenal are in talks over the potential sale of Emmanuel Adebayor. Hopefully we can mug them for £30m or so.

16. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with you. I just don't see where those 26 to 42 (past two seasons) Ronaldo goals are going to come from, whether the Owen Rooney partnership works or not. A fit Owen getting quality service may be good for 12. Then what? As tight as the table was the past two seasons every one of those Ronaldo goals counted.

Mixed feeling here. I'd rather he'd gone overseas. He was (IMO) worthless and disinterested for a year and a half. But I'd rather not see a motivated Adebayor with something to prove playing for the side which may challenge for the Top 4.

17. Garak

Carlos Tevez is making a long move to Manchester City.

Link

Looks like they will try and shore up that signing with Emma "The Headbutt" Adebayor, offering him more than Arsenal ever could at 130,000 pounds a week. As Emma proved last summer, he's all about the money, so look for that to happen. Jeez, it's starting to look like CL glory awaits Man City at the expense of that stagnant and perennial 4th place team from North London. :lol:

18. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I wouldn't bet on it. A bunch of expensive players don't make a team.
    I think Aston Villa or Everton have a better chance of making the top4 than Manchester City.

19. Garak

This is true. I'll take O'Neil and Moyes over Hughes any day, I'm stunned that Man City despite splashing the cash haven't brought in an above average manager.

Still though, it is nice to see some teams breathing down the top 4's necks.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Man City still have a weak CB parntership so they will leak goals so the top 4 will be out of reach still at this rate. Mark Hughes will be sacked at somepoint this season the only question is when.