Finished season one

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Janeway’s Girl, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember when I said that I just couldn't get into TOS? Well I watched a few of the movies and they made me want to try it again. I realize that the first batch of episodes I watched, I had the mindset of comparing it to the modern shows. For the second half of the season, I decided to pretend that all the other shows and movies didn't exist. It became more enjoyable once I did that.

I really liked:

The Naked Time
    Balance Of Terror (Sarek! Kind of)
    The Galileo Seven
    Tomorrow Is Yesterday
    This Side Of Paradise (my favourite)
    The Devil In The Dark (the Horta is cool)
    The City On The Edge Of Forever (could not believe that was Joan Collins!)

I'm glad I gave it a second chance:)

2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

It was exactly the way TOS was when I watched it for the first time..there wasn't ANY other series available at the time (1966)..so the originals are really the classic series IMHO... all others are derived from this..the prototype

You've entered an entire new world.. one far more action adventure oriented and story driven than the latter series..
    (after all the original effects though good for the time weren't expected to carry as much of the story as the TNG era ).

Welcome aboard!:techman::beer:

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I spent my childhood (early '70s) seeing TOS as the most advanced and futuristic-looking thing ever. Back then, it still was.

Since then, I've found that the show is even more enjoyable when I re-capture that mindset and view it strictly on its own terms. :bolian:

4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

The original series is so much better than any of the 80s and 90s spin-offs,maybe with the exception of DS9.

5. Janeway’s Girl

^ DS9 will be my next walk down Trek lane.

I really like how the crew flows together. They all just fit amongst eachother so effortlessly.

6. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the reasons I like TOS so much is the chemistry between the actors/characters. Glad you gave it another try!

7. Janeway’s Girl

:)

I watched This Side Of Paradise again today, because Spock being in love is so sweet (even if he's drugged) and I have a question about him and Leila. They knew eachother six years before. As far as I can tell it's implied that they were together. Spock suppresses his emotions in everyday life but from what I've heard is that Vulcans can be affectionate to someone they love (ex: Sarek towards Amanda). So because Spock didn't open up to her, like she said towards the end. Prior to the episode, was their relationship unrequited or did Spock ever care for her?

8. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

I envy you. There are still a lot of great episodes for you to watch. You are going to love The Doomsday Machine and The Corbomite Maneuver. Keep us updated on what you think of the episodes. Enjoy.

9. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

Glad you're enjoying it this time around! I recently finished a series rewatch for the first time in at least a decade and it still holds up very nicely, especially Season One.

Regarding your Leila-Spock question above, I'd say that at the time they were together Spock clearly loved her (as revealed by the spores here), but his Vulcan discipline didn't let him act on it. So in a way it was one-sided on her end back then.

10. Janeway’s Girl

^ Thanks! Spock should take a cue from his father in the love department. The ending to that episode is so heartbreaking.

@Pubert, The Corbomite Maneuver is from season one so I've already seen it. I thought it was weird. Creepy alien kid and all.

11. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now, as you're getting into the first half of season two, you're about to see the best that TOS has to offer, particularly with these five great episodes:

Amok Time
    Metamorphosis
    Mirror, Mirror
    The Doomsday Machine
    Journey To Babel

And some very strong stories that rate just below great:

Who Mourns for Adonais?
    I, Mudd
    Friday's Child

After the first half of season two, the series begins it slow decent towards cancellation, which accelerates significantly in season three.

Oh, and by the way, you'll love DS9--the second best Trek series after the original.

12. Pubert

Oh I thought you just started season 1 and watched the eps you listed. Well there are still a lot of great eps. One I like during the 3rd season is Spectre of the Gun. It has some strange set pieces but it is interesting.

Yeah the kid Balok was creepy. He is Ron Howards brother and still looks creepy today.LOL!. THe episode was weird but I liked it because they actually meet a strange huge alien vessel in space that dwarfs the enterprise. Also Kirks cool poker face during his corbomite ruse was excellent.

13. Vger23

Maybe instead of setting expectations, we should just let the poster enjoy the show and make their own judgements on what is enjoyable and what is not.

14. Vger23

Corbomite Maneuver sets up the characters, relationships, and tone / philosophy of the entire franchise to come. It actually is more of a proper "pilot" than Where No Man Has Gone Before" in that sense.

15. Janeway’s Girl

I have already seen Amok Time, Mirror, Mirror, and Journey To Babel, and loved them! They were part of my "random episode watch" before I decided to buy season one.

16. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Totally agree, and it's nice to see someone else say it. DS9 is underrated by most.

17. Markas

Markas Captain Captain

Having seen the show (gulp) first run as a young child, then countless times in reruns, it's great to see new people introduced to the original, and enjoying it. There are so many people I know that look at it and say "oh, it's so cheesy."

Perhaps that is true, but that's just the way I like my cheese. ;)

18. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Another factor in Spock not going for Leila six years earlier is that he was already spoken for. While "This Side of Paradise" is a first season episode, and "Amok Time" is a second season show, in stardate order, "This Side of Paradise" is the very next adventure after "Amok Time." So, with his "less than a marriage, more than a betrothal" situation with T'Pring out of the way, he no doubt feels more open to such dalliances. Plus he gets a chance to get that rest of the pesky pon farr hormone out of his system...

--Alex

19. Pubert

I think its ok to let her know what are favorites are. There are clearly superior episodes and letting her know the great ones will actually increase anticipation to see certain episodes.

20. Janeway’s Girl

Then why did Spock get involved with her in the first place? Knowing that he was betrothed, he should have told her beforehand.

Btw, I'm totally fine with people naming their favourites. What's everyone's opinion of TNG and ENT? Last year I watched a few episodes of TNG but found the characters to be very bland. It's the only series I'm not too sure about watching.