Windows 7 Gaming Problems with Solutions

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by black_dranzer, Jan 15, 2010.

1. yochenhsieh

yochenhsieh Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Dominion Wars on Vista/Windows 7

Have you tried remove or disable one of your video card? I mean not only disable crossfire, but disable one video card in control panel completely.

I'm not sure if it will work, though.

2. xachine

xachine Ensign Newbie

Ok Disabling the second graphics card got the graphics working but, the game now crashes during the intro movies or at the main menu. Tested several compatibilities modes just in-case, no luck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. yochenhsieh

Is your screen resolution larger than 1600x1200? You have to reduce resolution if it's too large.

4. xachine

xachine Ensign Newbie

That got it. Game plays wonderfully, and I'm hitting myself in the head for not considering screen size as part of the problem.

Thank you for all your help.

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Re: Windows 7 ST Game Install & Run Issues with Solutions

When STO crashed the other day it did something to my launcher. Everytime I started it would say files were corrupted and asked it I wanted to verify. After it passed that, it would still crash and go to the Cryptic Report Error screen. After going through that about 10 times it started working again. Don't know the exact problem, but seems to have resolved by itself.

Win 7 Prof on Gateway M1629

6. winkler

winkler Cadet Newbie

Hi friends,
    As we know that windows 7 has the all the driver software and the graphics software , when we installing the windows 7 operating system. Some time,if you have a problem occur during to play the game, i will some suggestion you. In the my opinion, you should upgraded you windows , so that it can aquire all type of the driver which is need to play the game .
    The second reason is that You want to check the properly of the operating system .It may be possible to enable some property.
    I hope to you that this information are some valuable to remove your problem . I hope that if you finds something then you mail me "kashif.rd@gmail.com" . I am waiting your action .
    Thanking you .

7. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Thanks a lot guys, I tried to run the game using the wrapper in Windows 7 32 bit (with intel HD graphics, on a Core I3-M350) and it works like a charm! Never thought I would get this to run short of installing Win98 on some old PC! :techman:

My laptop is equipped with Nvidia optimus, but the start videos and menu would not work when I activated the Geforce 310M, curiously enough. Luckily the Intel HD graphics seem already powerful enough to run the title without problems, anyway.

8. Damarai

Damarai Cadet Newbie

Hey guys, just going to have to hope and pray there are still eyes on this.

I've managed to push through again (after years of trying beforehand) with the solution here, using yochenhsieh's patch (EU version installed here). Things look golden until start-up and I get an immediate CTD with no evident problem. I've changed the resolution in case but I don't run higher that 1600x anyway.

Have I blatantly missed something crucial??

9. yochenhsieh

Hello,
    If you have two or more video cards, you need to disable or remove one (or more) of them so only one GPU is available when you start DW.

But, if this is not the cause, please try uninstall the game, then re-install it, and use the EU 1.04 patch here
    http://gaming.trekcore.com/dominionwars/downloads.html
    If the patch finished successfully, please upload the dw.exe or ds9dw.exe in your game folder to mediafire or rapidshare. I'll check it out.

If you know how to use hex editors, you may also try modify it according to Komat's page:
    http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/dw/
    (It's not too hard actually, only one digit need to be modified.)

Thanks.

10. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Majority of people would allow Windows updates to be applied.
    I did and still do.
    To that end, 'missing updates' are not the issue.
    It's the software itself.
    The games are very old and Microsoft stopped supporting DOS based programs some time ago.

To that end, 16-bit installers, etc. don't exactly play 'nice'.

Some games under x64 OS will essentially 'do nothing' for a while until after about some time they end up running.
    I don't know what causes this delay in installation, but it doesn't appear always.
    ST: Voyager 'Elite force' seems to exhibit this issue under Windows 7 x64... as does Armada.

Bridge Commander is yet another example.
    I tried running the installer in XP SP2 compatibility mode (under admin privileges) and nothing - I've waited over an hour in some cases... nothing appears in terms of installation.
    Looks like BC is 'gone' for good.

If someone can point me to a direction on how to install the thing on my Win 7 Ultimate x64, I'd appreciate it.
    :)

11. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

For those of you experiencing problems installing Bridge Commander on Windows 7 SP1 x64.
    I found a solution.
    Its not perfect, but a solution nevertheless.

As you know, I was unable to install the game. I ran the installer, tried to run it as admin, in various compatibility modes, even left the laptop on after running the installer over night, and nothing (I could see the process in Task Manager, but ultimately, there was no installation going on).

Anyway, I downloaded the 'core' of BC off the net, which is roughly 350mb.
    It's essentially the install directory of the game.
    Has all of the animations, dialogue, scripts... its a full game, and works on my system nicely.
    Now I just want to play around with mods.

12. BigFattyPlus

BigFattyPlus Cadet Newbie

I mde an account hre JUST to say thank you for making that patcher! I can finally play this game (nw I just eed someone to fix the graphic card issue with Star Tek New Worlds). Only one issue.

I noticed that the patcher lets me ply the gamefully WITHOUT the cd, but here's an issue. When the promt comes up tellinge to put the d in (with 3 options; Retry Continue, Cancel), if I click Retry or Continue, the game freezes the second I move the mouse, and Retry just looks for the cd again. But if I click the red axe on the promt, the game runs nromaly with a minor hiccup which hasn't happened again so far.

Agan, thank you!

13. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does starfleet academy work on windows 7?

What about klingon academy?

edit- nevermind, answered my own question. Got them working fine!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  14. Jaaten

Jaaten Cadet Newbie

Sorry for necroing this thread after so long, but for the life of me I can't get the hex-editor to work. If anyone still has the modified file (or can be persuaded to try it again) please let me know, especially if anyone's figured out a way of doing it with a no-cd playable .exe file. (I can provide that file if needed)

Sorry again, and thanks in advance.

15. HGGundamReviews

HGGundamReviews Cadet Newbie

Well I have the game working to a point to where it starts all the videos and menus load and I can even get the game play to load. I have the Wrapper patch installed.

Here is the issue I am having. When the game starts all the videos play normally no issue. Once i hit the main menu its super slow and jerky. Mission Briefing is the same. The audio even pauses for 3-5 seconds after every word. Game play its self is also super slow and jerky.

Here are my specs.

Intel I3-370m 2.4ghz CPU, Windows 8 64 bit, Intel HD Graphics 128mb V-ram, 6gb Ram.

Any help to fix this problem would be great.

16. Gllifrey29

Gllifrey29 Cadet Newbie

there was a year ago a post on running klingon acdemy in a neighboring thread that got closed does anyone know how to fully implement the changes so the game will run smoothely on win 7 64 bit? there was a post on the furom but there is a broken link instead.

as for the other games i'm playing armada 2 on my win7 using adminstrator and compatibl usage on par with win xp

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Armada on Windows 7?

This also works for Armada 2.

18. yochenhsieh

Please try
    http://www.mediafire.com/?96bg71sf9fj92gm

Thanks.

19. yochenhsieh

Please try to run it with or without compatibility mode (Win98/Me).

In Win7 DW does not need compatibility mode. Perhaps it changed in Win8...

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Can i assume you have the UK/EU version of the game........this was also a problom with windows XP as well.........the mouse was all over the place and the game would turn into a slide show.

Now the US version got a patch that fixed this issue in xp.........the UK/EU version never got said patch....there was at one stage a altered US version of the EXE patch that would work and fix the EU/UK version, but i have no idea if it is still out there on the internet, and have no idea if it would work with Windows 7.