Why no sequal to JC The Thing.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Haggis and tatties, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

So i had the option of watching John carpenter's The Thing last night on HD,and even though i have seen the movie i don't know how many times, i was really impressed with how the movie seemed to have improved due to being in HD, i was fixed to it from beginning to end due to the fantastic visual quality of it, and i was wondering why there has never been a sequel to this movie, the movie is just fantastic from beginning to end and HD seems to have only improved the viewing enjoyment of the movie..........so why have we not had a sequel.

Come on carpenter get us a sequel to this movie.

2. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

IIRC, it didn't do that well back in the day.

I prefer leaving it at the ambiguous ending...

3. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the movie was a flop, despite it being one of Carpenter's best films and being all round excellent.

It's gained a lot wider recognition in the years since though.

ETA: if a sequel ever was made, although i'd prefer it wasn't, JC should definitely not direct it. He has lost his touch a long time ago. We'd just get another Ghosts of Mars.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Why does there always have to be a sequel?

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't think there needs to be sequel, but the Thing movie being penned by Ronald D. Moore has been rumored to be both a sequel and a remake...I'm not sure how that works, but there it is.

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As others have said, there's no need.

Personally, I think that this movie is the best example of a paranoia flick that you're ever likely to find. In those terms, it's an absolute masterpiece of film-making. IMO.

7. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm also in the no need for a sequel camp. Sometimes all a sequel does is cheapen the original.

8. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

Id prefer to see a prequel covering the events that happened at the Norwegian camp.

9. zenophite

Well, maybe if they have a good "alien-esque" type exploration of the alien ship but otherwise it would be pretty much the same as the original. I guess it would be neat to end such a film exactly with the shooting of the norwegians at the beginning of the first film but could they pull it off considering how much time has passed?

Say speaking of the Thing wasn't ronald moore supposed to be involved in a remake? whatever happened to that?

10. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

Yeah, more then likely only geeks like us would appreciate it. :)

Speaking of geeks, I just broke down and bought a Blu-Ray player this weekend. On Sept 30th 'The Thing' is being released in that format. Can't wait to pick it up.

11. butch101

butch101 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

no need for a sequel. this movie is great, probably Carpenter's best. i love the ending the way it is. The big question mark and the soundtrack. a classic !

Butch

12. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

There were a few Darkhorse Comic miniseries sequels. I only read the first one; it was pretty well done.

13. zenophite

i liked the thing pc game...

14. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

While I don't think the film needs a sequel the closest thing your going to get is the Thing videogame that came out for PC and XBOX five or six years ago. Carpenter worked on it I believe.

15. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

There is a cool PC/console game which takes place after the events of the movie (and presumably changes those events a bit).

I used to play it in the garage in the dark with the windows open to let the frigid winter breeze in. When the little Thingies would pop up at you, it was totally freaky.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's on Sci-Fi Channel tonight, I should see if it's actually in true HD. How the hell did they manage to slip that in with Abominable, Yeti, Ice Spiders and Wyvern? I think someone's head is going to roll when they find out that they aired a half-way decent movie on Saturday night.

:lol: I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

18. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Totally serious. :) I'm all about atmosphere.

19. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

The worst thing about a possible sequel/prequel is that they'd use CG. There's something more visceral about using latex and rubber and fake blood and so on that CG can't match.
    The thing is you know the creature isn't real anyway...but the practical effects are right there in front of the camera...while my eye can still spot the CG quite easily. Especially if it's creature effects (CG backgrounds and buildings are usually quite good).

20. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Leave it alone I say. JC's film was a cover of an original THING from the late 1950's.

Not every movie has to be prequalled/sequalled.

J effing C:wtf: