Will we ever see proper Trek races?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't get me wrong, one thing that I love about the Nu-Trek movies is their inclusion of some pretty cool looking alien species (many of which I use in my fanfics)--as they help add some much needed diversity to distinctly human-dominated scenes (I'd personally want to see more aliens, but that's beside the point).

But are we ever going to see some of original Trek species in the Nu-Trek films, such as: Andorians, Bolians, Caitians, Edosians, Tellarite, Tiburonians?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If there's a story reason for them to be there, then I'm sure we will. For background filler? I'd rather see aliens I haven't seem before.

3. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope we get some familiar races in the background. Besides, the familiar alien races are cheapest/easiest to make-up too.

-Andorian background crew people; Paint them blue, give them a white wig, and add some antennae.
    -Vulcan background crew people; Give them a bowl cut, shave their eyebrows, and glue some fake ears to 'em.
    -Tellarite background crew people. Glue a pig snout on their nose.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Both the Gorn and the Salt Vampire were cut from the '09 film. The two girls in Kirk's apartment in STID were supposed to be Caitians. I'd love to see more classic aliens in these films.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bry_Sinclair

Caitian with a rather severe bikini wax maybe :lol:

The 09 Gorn looks pretty good, not sure about the need to include a salt vampire though.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Bolians, Caitians and Edosians were original Trek species? As I recall it, the second and third species were introduced in the animated series, and the first not until TNG.

Gorn: OK

Salt vampire: not proper Trek race, even though it was the focus of one of the earliest episodes

Got it.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

We saw Vulcans. That's enough for me. ;)

That's exactly why they shouldn't use them. What was acceptable in the 60s would look embarrassingly cheap today.

8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Then why did they include an orion which is nothing but green skin paint? Does it have to look like a million dollars to be a viable-looking race?

The answer is--because some Trek races are just iconic and it doesn't matter how ornate the makeup is. Orion chicks are fun to have around, and it would be nice to have andorians even if they are little more than blue skin-paint, a white wig, and antennae.

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose they could be the Cornish Rex of their species.

For both of these films, casting put out for people who already look unusual and gave them minor CG enhancements. For the last film, the girl with anime eyes was oft discussed, and this time out, they used Joseph Gatt to good effect by changing his voice and putting in one brief glimpse of an effect on the back of his head. A good background alien doesn't have to be an all CG fest or fifty pounds of sculpted latex. They have to look cool for a second.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

^ :techman:

Why not simply say, then, that "These are Trek races I'd really like to see, because I enjoyed seeing them before"? Why diddle around with a "proper Trek races" appeal to legitimacy which holds no water?

"Because I want to see them" is all the reason one needs for saying one wants to see them.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Which is the reason I was asking, as I'd love to see some of them in the background. ENT did a good job updating the Andorians and Tellarite so they didn't look quite so awful, but there are loads of other Trek races glimpsed at (especially in the TOS films) who could do with modernising.

Granted, I could have posed the question as "previously seen races", but meh, 'proper' fit my mindset at the time I wrote it.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I just hope they keep Berman-Trek alien races out of the films henceforth.

The one problem with having really alien-looking aliens on Star Trek is that it makes Spock look much less alien and much more human by comparison, and takes away much of the mystique he had at the beginning of TOS when he was really alien. If that makes any sense.

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

We saw Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, and Orions, out of the classic species. And tribbles, I suppose.

I wouldn't mind Andorians, Tellarites, Gorn, Edosians, Caitians, etc. Those things in STID were not Caitians IMO. Not enough body hair!

Andorians and Tellarites you'd expect to be there, being founder members of the UFP and all.

14. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I admit that I would like to see Andorians and Tellarites, specifically.

15. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think someone mentioned in another thread that the Caitians twins showed might have been half human/half Caitian...

16. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Or retconned...

17. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I'd love to see some Andorians. Loved in ENT how they had the antennae undulate with their emotions.

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Aren't Caitians tied up in some legal mumbo-jumbo?

19. Bry_Sinclair

That's the first I've heard of it. Any clue what about?

20. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Since they made it into Star Trek Online, I don't think there's a problem with them. I think maybe the Kzinti is what you're talking about, because they crossed over from Niven's Known Space continuity.