Bring Back Kathryn Janeway to the Voyager books! Online Petition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Syn.Sixx, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Syn.Sixx

Syn.Sixx Ensign

Hello,

I am writing tonight because I am a member of a Facebook group called "Bring Back Janeway".

As you may know, the novel-verse books have written that Admiral Janeway was "killed" in The Next Generation novel, "Before Dishonor" and according to those in charge of Pocket Books, the company, which produces all the different Star Trek books, she will remain dead. However, in the book she was saved by one of the Q and taken into the Continuum, thus she isn't really dead.

I, and others in the group have created a new online petition in support of the effort to convince the publishers and authors of the book series to bring Admiral Janeway back to the books, as we believe that her story is far from over!

We are posting here, in hopes that other fans of Star Trek: Voyager and of Admiral Kathryn Janeway will speak out and support this new effort to right a wrong..

http://tinyurl.com/savekj/

The new online petition sends an email to Pocket Books / Simon & Schuster with each signature gained in support of returning the character Admiral Kathryn Janeway to the Voyager novel-verse.

Help make some noise! Sign the petition to tell Pocket Books / Simon & Schuster that we want Admiral Janeway returned to the Star Trek: Voyager novel-verse! They would not have even considered treating Kirk, Picard, Sisko, or any other male character so poorly.. Sign the petition and help us make some noise! It takes less than a minute of your time and every signature helps!

http://tinyurl.com/savekj/

Also, visit these sites to learn more about our efforts and ways you can help!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BringBackJaneway/

http://www.newearth-jcparadise.de/bring_back_janeway.php

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

This will end well.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The Mayans were right...

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's an untrue statement. The person in charge of Pocket Books would be that division's vice president and publisher, Louise Burke, and she has never made any such statement as far as I know. Pocket (along with its sister imprint Gallery Books) publishes a wide range of different works of which Star Trek tie-ins are just one small segment.

If by "those in charge" you mean the editors in charge of determining the events of the books, that's still an untrue statement (even aside from the inaccurate assumption that editors are in charge of the publishing company that employs them). The editor responsible for choosing to kill off Janeway, Margaret Clark, has only posted here on the subject twice as far as the TrekBBS search engine can determine. On March 3, 2009, she said the following:
    And on May 22, 2009, she said the following:
    So Margaret certainly wasn't saying that Janeway would definitively remain dead. And the editors who've succeeded her at Pocket don't post online, so they haven't said anything about it one way or the other.

As far as I'm aware, the only people affiliated with Pocket who've discussed the question of Janeway's fate in public have been freelance Trek novelists, including myself. Our comments about whether Janeway should stay dead or not have been expressions of our own personal opinions. It would be a grave mistake to assume that any of us are "in charge" of the publishing company that contracts us on a book-by-book basis, or that our preferences represent the official policy of Pocket Books, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.

Considering that the decision to kill off Janeway was made by a female editor, that is a ridiculous and unjustified accusation. It's also easily disprovable. In this recent post I did an overview of canonical Trek characters who've been killed off in Trek literature, and determined that a clear majority of them are male.

Also you seem to be forgetting that James Kirk was killed off canonically over 17 years ago, and a lot of people felt he was treated poorly. There are also a number of readers who have felt that Picard was treated poorly in Destiny or that Sisko was treated poorly in Rough Beasts of Empire (though of course neither was killed).

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I trust that if Janeway is re - introduced to the storyline, it will be at the behest of the talented writers and editors of TrekLit. I trust their judgment in this issue, and do not see the need to force their hand.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I just wish it would end period... :rolleyes:

How about a petition to keep Janeway dead as the post-Janeway Voyager books have been among the best Voyager stories ever told? :vulcan:

8. Jedi_Master

The death of Janeway was not the result of any gender bias, Voyager bias, or any other bias whatsoever.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

As I've said before - I didn't particularly like Janeway. Kirsten Beyer is doing a great job with the books without her, which are imho much better than the actual series ever was.

Janeway may well return at some point but I rather hope not. While I am probably in a minority not wanting her back, there really are quite a few on here who don't care either way.

S & S will do what they plan to do - a petition is pretty pointless, and may not be particularly well supported...

10. Jedi_Master

Whatever your feelings about Janeway, you have to acknowledge that the Voyager novels written by Kirsten Beyer are quite simply magnificent.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really, again....REALLLYYYYYYY!!!?????

12. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

I still don't see how regaining her humanity and individuality through sheer willpower (and possibly because the cube was weakened; it's been a while since I've read the book) and using her position to destroy the largest Borg Cube in existence and saving Earth in the process is 'treating her poorly'. That's a hero's death.

T'Lana was treated worse in that book.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Who cares?

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

About Janeway coming back? Not me. I think the books have proven that Voyager doesn't need her to tell good stories.

15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. The best Voyager novels ever have been the three where she is dead.

16. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though I am not a Janeway fan and consider VOY the weakest of the Trek series, I do agree it was a mistake to kill Janeway as I've discussed to death and have no desire to respout my opinions.

That said, this is not the right means to restore the character or "right the wrong". Cohersing the franchise to resurrect a character won't make for a good return story.

The efforts of Janeway fans would be better focused getting DST to produce a Janeway fig. Their efforts would probably get just as much results.

And may I add: "FORCE THE FRANCHISE TO RESURRECT DATA AND JANOS!!!!"

17. MatthiasRussell

Seconded.

18. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Want to take bets on what page this thread will be closed by? I'm going to say Page 4.

19. Jedi_Master

Editors note - it is spelled "coercing".

I would eagerly support any "resurrect data" efforts. Data is a far more compelling, interesting, funny, and beloved character. Yet no one is organizing rallies in his behalf.

20. MatthiasRussell

I like the "h".