The Lwaxana Troi Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by greenguy, Apr 23, 2010.

1. greenguy

greenguy Commander Red Shirt

I wanted to create this thread so that everyone can remember Majel and/or her on-screen character, Lwaxana Troi. I was disappointed to hear that Leonard Nimoy was quitting the Con circuit after this year, so it just made me think of all the Trek crew members who I never got to see---particularly Majel, who died just as I was getting into Star Trek. What are your favorite memories of her?

On other sites, I have found that Lwaxana isn't that popular and that people find the episodes she's in to be rather excessive and campy. However, I think Lwaxana is a pulchritudinous embodiment of what Star Trek was supposed to be---she is an artistic character whose honesty and a freedom is perfect when coupled with a Betazoid sex drive (which is all something we should strive for, in my opinion).

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will always give Majel credit for being very accessible to the fans at conventions. She was one of the first Trek actors I ever met, and always gave people time to say hello. That was very appreciated.

3. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

When she was the computer voice of Stewie's ship on Family Guy. That was great.:techman:

I hated the Lwaxana character, but other than that I had a lot of respect for her.

4. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I liked her. I loved how Picard would cringe when she came on board :lol:

i think she was a well meaning and friendly person, but she was overbearing and annoying.

5. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like Lwaxana. There's a scene in the DS9 episode The Forsaken where Lwaxana and Odo get stuck in a lift that is just lovely.

6. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

I agree with that. I actually didn't cringe when she was on DS9 anywhere near like I did on TNG. :techman:

7. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    People hate Lxwana because she was annoying...well, she was supposed to be annoying and that is what made her so good. Majel was brilliant in that role and you could see she had a lot of fun doing it.

I do miss her but I am happy she is finally united with her "dear Gene".

8. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

edit

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    People are comparing Lwaxana with Neelix...?:eek:

Horrible!

Neelix would butt into everything; Lwaxana knew when to keep to herself (and be serious) and when to joke around.

One of her best scenes is when the audience is first introduced to her in 'Haven.' She beamed up to the ENT facing the wall, and panics asking 'Where is everybody?' She then quickly composes herself when she faces Deanna and others who are welcoming her.:lol:

10. Maniarek

Maniarek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Anytime Lwaxana and Jean-Luc crossed paths :lol:

Her performance was great in Half a Life. Great character conflict and I think this is easily the best Lwaxana episode in TNG (and I'm glad the story ended the way it did, it wouldn't have worked any other way IMO).

Maniarek.

11. Maniarek

Maniarek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I didn't know that about her, it’s nice to see she was always willing to take the time to interact and thank her fans. A lot of other celebrities could learn from her.

Maniarek.

12. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Edit - should not have even posted in this thread.

13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

What I enjoyed most about Lwaxana was Deanna's reaction to her, and how Majel Barrett and Marina Sirtis appeared to have such fun playing their roles. Seeing Deanna so flustered always amused me, and I think that Sirtis enjoyed the opportunity to play her role differently.

14. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

The Lwaxana episodes have grown on me. I'm also impressed with her acting. You might not expect such a range from a what might have been a one-note character. I watched Menage a Troi last night. There is a scene in which the Ferengi shows her the bed, and then it cuts to Majel. She conveys so much in that one look - it could have easily been lost with a more generic expression of discomfort. I don't know if the other cast members could have pulled it off with such depth. And that one look sets up the tension for the next several segments - the fear of her being raped/molested to protect Troi and Riker.
    She was an excellent actor. Another often hated Lwaxana episode, "Cost of Living" - it may not be phaser blasting, time-altering sci-fi (which tend to be my favorites)but it says more than a lot of those episodes do. "Dark Page" was a strong Lwaxana ep also.

15. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Lwaxana was annoying and i loved her for it! The reactions she got from Picard, Worf and Deanna were great. And the episode Half a Life was wonderful thanks in part to her beautiful performance.

I never got to meet Majel and that will forever be one of my disappointments in life. I think she was extraordinary!

16. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

She was a fun character. I always wondered, in "Mmanhunt" when she made a comment about Picard's naughty thoughts as she beamed out in the final sequence, whether she was truly detecting naughty thoughts, or was just saying that to tease him.

17. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You hit it sqare on Randi. Being a huge TOS fan ever since I was little, I thought that the way Majel played Lwaxana was brilliant. I have long felt that Majel was highly underrated. Lwaxana was such a departure from Christine Chapel but Majel seemed to handle it with ease. She showed great comedic timing, but could take an over the top silly scene to dead serious in a heart beat. She was a very versitiel and talented lady and I've always enjoyed any episide that had Lwaxana in it.

18. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She used to say that her favorite character to play was Number One from The Cage, but after TNG, she talked about how she loved Lwaxana. She saw her as a very empowered character. She said she always saw Christine Chapel as being too much of a wimp.

19. Udat

Udat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah Lwaxana was a scream, always cool to see Picard looking uncomfortable.