Shelby

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by SchwEnt, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been decades and I've watched BOBW dozens of times.
    So why did I just notice that Shelby doesn't have a first name?

Such an important character in TNG... I thought for sure she had a full name...

Then I stopped to think about it. Nope, she doesn't.

I coulda swore I knew her name...

2. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

They were planning to add her to the main cast as the enterprise's first officer if stewart didnt agree to return to trek(his contract was up)she would og had been given a 1st name there i guess.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

She's Shelby Shelby, a direct descendant of Wilson Wilson from Home Improvement.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Peter David gave her the name Elizabeth after the actress who played Shelby. Sure it's non canon but it's the best we got.

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Elizabeth suits her. Liz Shelby. I read some fanfic that had her called Mercades. I quite like that too. In an alternative universe there's a Captain Bill Riker and his XO Liz Shelby. :lol:

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I heard that some time ago and wonder how the show would have turned out had Riker been promoted Captain, and Shelby had come on board as First Officer. I think the dynamics between the two having to work together for an extended period of time would have made for good drama.

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This interview, posted today, seems to debunk this story: http://www.startrek.com/article/where-are-they-now-tng-guest-star-elizabeth-dennehy

She states she was only ever signed on for 2 episodes, with no hints to additional appearances.

8. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

INCORRECT. Just fan speculation/wish.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Shelby didn't need a given name :)

I wasn't into TNG when BOBW was first aired, but I've since heard/read that there were loads of different theories about what might happen, a couple that come to mind are: Picard would be killed and Shelby would be kept on as XO; Shelby would sacrifice herself to save Picard.

Wild speculation about where shows will go can't be avoided. I would love for a studio to play on this at the end of a season, have a big event which one or more may not survive and leak 'rumours' that several cast members are looking to leave, to help build up the hype and tension about what might happen.

She was a good character though. Its a shame she never returned.