STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since I have not seen anyone else mention it:

In the daily breakdown for the long Memorial Day Weekend, The Hangover III fell to #4 on Monday, allowing Into Darkness to climb up to #2. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the week plays out, but at this juncture it would appear that word-of-mouth is hurting H3, but helping Trek.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2013-05-27&p=.htm

EDIT: Looking at the numbers again, Trek was actually #2 on Sunday as well, but by a smaller margin.

2. StevenM

StevenM Ensign Newbie

I think that if Paramount can't get this cast to sign on for more movies after the 3rd within budget they will likely do another re-boot or go in a different direction with Star Trek.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I didnt think so, it was a telegraphed plot, poorly paced, and very small scale. It also hasn't aged too well. I thin STID is superior in every way including the terrorist/assassination plot.

Im thinking a $150-160 million budget will be in place for the next movie.

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

and unlike TFF, TUC (to me) doesn't look like a cheaply made movie. Meyer knew how to get a lot of movie out of a little money.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It adjusts to about $50 million today. Hollywood budgets escalated dramatically in the 1990s and 2000s, outpacing general economic inflation by a wide margin. A lot of 1980s and early 1990s films that were considered big budget at the time adjust to what would now be low budgets for films of their scale.

For example, the budgets for the three 1980s Indiana Jones movies adjust to about $45 million, $61 million, and $88 million respectively in today's dollars, while Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had a budget of $185 million (which adjusts to about $197 million today).

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's the sad fact about the current movie business: if they don't invest megabucks in the production to begin with, they won't spend the money on promotion and distribution to give it the best shot at success in a crowded release schedule. That money will go instead to a movie that they did spend a lot on and the success of which is therefore more crucial to them.

Frankly, Serenity was doomed as much by being a movie that Universal could afford to throw away as it was by any other single factor.

7. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

If they want an anniversary deal open on the same day that TOS hit the air.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

TOS debuted in September 1966. September is one of the worst box office months of the year.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

One thing not mentioned here at all is that STID never opened in the same number of theaters as ST09...by hundreds. This is likely because of all the movies coming out. So the increased numbers from Imax and so on are mitigated by the lower numbers of theaters...and it STILL is doing about the same as ST09.

RAMA

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Aside from yesterday's Memorial Day sales, Into Darkness has been underperforming '09 for the past week

[​IMG]

11. Robert_T_April

Robert_T_April Captain Captain

Agreed. He's brilliant!

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, September is where movies go to die.

Release it on 2016? Sure. Same day? Hell no!:lol:

13. Admiral-H

Admiral-H Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol: It's doing well on the foreign box office and might end up being on par if not exceed 2009 by worldwide total. It's by no means a failure. It's not even out in some anticipated bigger foreign markets yet.

JJ and team saved Star Trek. I remember in 2005 the franchise looked completely doomed on TV, and in the theaters. I really thought it was all over.

Nowadays. Star Trek, even if it doesn't make a huge amount of profit is saved. If they made a TV series now it would atleast have a bigger domestic and international audience.

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

i hope they give it back to berman and co so we can finally get that romulan war movie with enterprise away on holiday on risa

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Paramount already announced Bad Robot would produce the movie whether Abrams directs or not.

16. StevenM

StevenM Ensign Newbie

IMO Paramount would be crazy to give it back to Berman. He and others did not know when to leave and pass the torch to others and the franchise suffered for it. It will never happen.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  17. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

With all Bad Robots first choice people busy with Star Wars I wonder where that leaves Star Trek? Everyone except the script writers will move to Star Wars and Trek gets the B team?

18. StevenM

StevenM Ensign Newbie

I doubt all Bad Robots top people will be all working on Star Wars. I'm sure the company has a lot of good people that will be working on Star Trek, likely some will work on both.

Plus if Paramount thought that Star Trek was not getting the attention it needed, I'm sure the relationship with Bad Robot would come to an abrupt end.

19. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I hadn't thought of that. I assume Abrams will be utilising most of his usual collaborators on Episode VII. I do hope some of Bad Robot's main talent will stay involved with Trek XIII. Orci and Kurtzman will still write, I assume. Lindelof's out. I think he's developing a new movie or series. Michael Arndt is writing Star Wars episode VII.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's nice, but you really don't have a clue what you're talking about here.

Do you have a list of those at Bad Robot, other than Abrams, who are "going to Star Wars?"

Bad Robot will produce a Star Trek film for Paramount to be released in 2016. It's that simple. :cool: