With the trailer out why are they keeping the villains ID secret?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Dec 7, 2012.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also like the included evidence :D

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They should have also noted how the subscribers of Nacelles Monthly are still debating over whether the warp nacelles rising from the water belong to the Enterprise or not.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Wonder what he'd been expecting to see - "G'day, Christopha! I'm Poida"?

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He must not have recognized him without Poida's mullet.

6. Greg Cox

Here's the thing: Even if they put out a press release tomorrow announcing, once and for, that Cumberbatch was playing Gary Mitchell (or whomever), what practical difference would it make?

Would millions of previously undecided moviegoers suddenly circle the opening date on their calenders? ("Well, I wasn't planning to see the movie, but if it's Gary . . . well, sign me up!")

Would millions of devout Trekkies suddenly decide to skip the movie after all? ("I loved the last movie, but Gary Mitchell? That's a deal-breaker!")

Would hordes of disappointed Garth of Izar fans storm the Paramount lot, forcing them to reshoot the movie so that Gary becomes Garth? Would they have to digitally turn Alice Eve green so that she looks more like Yvonne Craig than Sally Kellerman?

Would knowing the villain six months in advance have any impact whatsoever on the final reviews and box office? Of course not.

All that would happen would be a flurry of news articles, followed by six months of heated debate about whether Cumberbatch is right for the part--and whether Garth or Khan would have been better. Which could be entertaining, but inconsequential.

In the end, the movie will succeed or fail on its own merits. And we won't know that until May . . ..

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

How can you be sure? Maybe finding out who he is will be a huge part of the movie and his identity will only be revealed at the end of the movie as a big suprise to everyone. If that's the case, then they would practically giving away the end of the movie five (not six) months before its release!

I still think that the identity of the villain will not be officially revealed until the movie hits the theaters, not even in the nine minute preview.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The real question is what will the lose if they announce now who Cumberbatch is playing. Although they initially kept Tom Hardy's role a secret when he was cast in Batman, it was eventually officially announced he was playing Bane nearly a year before the movie was released. We are now withing the window when the information should be made known.

I miss the days when the entire script to a movie was online 17 months prior to release.

9. SalvorHardin

I sure hope those days never come back.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's just unusual, especially compared to similar properties. We knew that the Joker was in Dark Knight and Bane was in Dark Knight Rises long before the trailers of both films, and neither film released a trailer that pretended that their identities were ambiguous.

Telling us that it's Gary or Khan may not generate a lot of hype or interest, but intentionally not telling us doesn't either.

11. SalvorHardin

I don't know.
    I say plenty of threads and pages upon pages of people talking about their theories on who the villain is and what's his story.
    It seems there's more talk now than if we had just 1 name.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. Speculation is fun, wild theories are fun.. and all that's going to end when we find out the truth.

13. Greg Cox

Okay, I have to ask: why?

Doesn't that defeat the point of actually seeing the movie the first time?

Unless I'm writing the novelization, I try to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

14. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Why do people even read the novelizations if they've already seen the movie? Doesn't that defeat the point?

What about the Lord of the Rings movies? The plot of those were known well beforehand. Did making those movies defeat the point?

Or how about, why buy DVDs? If you've already seen the movie once, then you know how it ends, so what's the point?

Personally, I'm fine to not have the script, but I can see the side of the argument that it doesn't change that much if you do.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

That would be magnificent. And everytime someone says his name in the movie, they're drowned out by an explosion.

16. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

Prior to finding out the real plot, the sky is the limit as to what the movie is about, and all speculation on possible plots is fun to talk about.

However, once we all hear what the plot is, all we will have will be a bunch of fans over-analyzing everything about the plot and complaining about the story flaws.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[​IMG]

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of when the writers didn't call McCoy by name in the TNG pilot and instead just called him Admiral.

I wonder how many people still didn't get who he suppose to be?

19. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

How about every time someone's about to say his name, this plays?

20. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Woah, Pine has a huuuuuge mouth :klingon: