Old Star Trek TOS DVD's

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by DoctorZ, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Do not like.

2. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

That's a slightly odd position to take. I went TOS Blu-ray and never looked back.
    1. I see more detail with better contrast and nicely saturated colors, which all leads up to a TOS presentation that's better than ever before. I don't think it hurts things at all.
    I'd like to see as much of the detail of the original 35mm film as we can get.

2. TOS-R on BD does not mean you have to see the new CGI, you can choose the old effects, so again best of both worlds there.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember when these came out in 1999 but I never got them because I didn't have DVD at that time. :lol: I can imagine that these "earliest" DVD releases would be quite collectable today. Say what you will about the convenience (and saved shelf space!) of boxsets, but I've always thought individual releases of TV shows have got a greater collectability factor. They look great all lined up together on shelves too!

The Star Trek DVD Files also released individual discs with the episodes in production order (three episodes to a disc IIRC). I saw the one for 'The Trouble With Tribbles' at a local thrift store no more than a few weeks ago.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

This.

5. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Can't argue with that. :techman:

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I have a Blu-ray player.
    I'm happy with the DVD sets I have.
    I have no interest in TOS-R.
    Why should I spend the money?

No different than the DVDs of movies I bought before the I got the Blu-Ray player. Since the Blu-Ray player is backwards compatible then I have no need to replace those films I bought previously---a good thing because it would be quite an expense.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  7. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I watched the Blu-rays on a 7' wide front projection screen (Full HD) and despite the large image I couldn't really see production screw-ups except for the occasional seams at Spock's ears (and I only paid attention after it had been mentioned here).

One of the great things about HD resolution is the sharpness that gives the images such a "live" feel that you actually do wonder if they shot this a week ago. To me the whole thing had characteristics of a time travel experience into the future.

My biggest issue with DVDs has and always will be that the MPEG-2 data compression is sacrifying a lot of color fidelity.
    Considering how colorful the original show was (at least from the director's point of view), DVD betrays a lot of these colors while the Blu-rays don't (however, it did seem to me - "Journey to Babel" murdered Tellarite scene! - that in the latest restoration they didn't get these colors always right).

Bob

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Um... what do the added FX have to do with the remaster? Nothing. I don't watch the cartoony FX myself. I watch the episodes with the original FX. In HD. And it's absolutely stunning.
    This position makes sense to me. What I don't get is the outright hostility to the HD remaster of TOS. If you're a TOS purist as I am, this should be a no-brainer -- presenting TOS (again with all the original FX) as close to the quality of the 35mm film as possible, what the show really looks like but which TV was never before able to reveal. I don't care for most of the new FX, but 1) the new FX have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the remaster, and 2) I don't have to watch the episodes with the new FX.

I just don't understand your position at all.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm happy with the DVD sets I have (circa 2006 or thereabouts). I can't justify spending the money to buy something yet again for a little extra resolution.

What I have presently satisfies we whenever I want to watch a TOS episode and they're sufficient whenever I need a screencap for one of my photomanips. TOS is my favourite overall series ever, but I draw the line when it comes to expressing my fan interest. Speaking only for myself it's folly to spend money for something I already have and for little gain. If I didn't already have the DVD sets or they were stolen or lost somehow (heaven forbid) then it would make sense to get the Blu-Ray sets even though I have no interest in TOS-R. But as it stands I don't have the incentive or justification to spend that money.

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CLAMSHELLS, baby! yup, ditto

My enjoyment of Trek and my happiness with life would go up 0% with sharper pictures of a 1960s 2-D television show. Everyone should stop telling us what to do. :p

11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Does anyone know if they created the remastered episodes from the original 35mm? or from the DVDs produced in 1999 or 2004?
    I'm thinking that both the 1999 and 2004 versions have pieces cut out to fit in an hour broadcast but I don't really know. I would like to get the most complete version of TOS that I can.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Nearest I can tell the versions I have on DVD don't have any scenes missing.

13. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Blu-ray disc prices have dropped a lot the past few years.

For me, $34.00 for the first season of TOS in HD is totally worth it. C'mon - it's like a dollar an episode - and it's the best of Star Trek has ever been.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And it's still money spent for little gain when I can spend it elsewhere for greater gain, like maybe getting something I don't already have.

Then again I can just not spend anything---a wise option presently since I'm between jobs and in no hurry to burn through my savings until I have a regular income again.

15. plynch

1. Good job being rational instead of just buying the new thing b/c it is the new thing. We really should weigh our purchases for utility more. (Not a slam to you Blu folks - if you are truly happier as you watch your Trek now, good for you.)

2.Sorry to hear about the straightened circumstances, Warped. I am beaming you positive wishes and regards for what it's worth.

16. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's how I watch them too. And I agree that it is, in your words, absolutely stunning. When I watch the show in high definition it's like a great movie-going experience. The grain, the clarity, the rich colors, the crystal clear audio (always original mono audio track of course), it reminds me of going to the movies. But it's not some dumb movie. Instead, it's the best tv show of all time! Greatness.

When I watch it in standard definition it always feels like I'm missing out now. I guess this is how drug addicts feel when they go from low grade drugs to high grade drugs. It's the same drug, but it's so much more intense. Lol, a sick analogy, but it's true.

I also think the old effects hold up quite well in high definition and barely ever switch to the crappy CGI.

nice comparison pics:

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x04/TOS_2x10_MirrorMirror0026d-Trekpulse.jpg DVD

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x04hd/mirrormirrorhd0083.jpg Blu Ray

If you can't tell the difference in clarity, try blowing up the DVD picture to the same size as the Blu Ray Picture. Look at how much blurrier the DVD picture is. It's night and day. Notice the superior color timing. It's not as faded, the colors are richer. Of course the quality difference is even more noticeable in motion. The audio quality is also better.

Of course not everyone cares about these sorts of improvements. Nothing wrong with that. But it's a god send for those who appreciate the higher image and sound quality.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well it does seem to create significantly larger screenshots. I suppose with the proper screen, it would be a lot like seeing a film in a theater. But do you really want to notice every imperfection or detail in the sets, clothing, makeup, and possible booger in the nostril that was never meant to be seen?

18. SpHeRe31459

A. The screenshots are larger to you when you view them up close on a PC. From a normal seating distance on an HDTV the episodes look great.

B. In addition to the above, it's a rather silly thought to say suddenly in HD you see everything you weren't supposed to. TOS was not such a cheap production that you ever saw tons of errors and makeup lines, etc. Further, remember this was shot and edited on 35mm film, the production staff and editors all saw TOS in pristine condition at one point in the '60s, which would have looked much like the Blu-ray versions, and it got their approval.

C. So what if you see the occasional latex appliance seam? We all know they are there, it was a TV show on a tight budget in the '60s. It doesn't detract from the generally amazing detail and rich color palette that's been there on the 35mm film this whole time, that a proper 1080p restoration has now made it available to home users.

19. plynch

No argument, it looks slightly better. But again, it would not make me a happier human to watch it in blu. The dvd's I have are SO much better than the VHS's I used to have, they look great to me. This reminds me of research I saw video of, re. happiness. You give babies a mobile with three items, they like it. Give them five items, they like that too. Now step them back down to three and see what happens. I'm happy with my three-item mobile. It is WAY better than the one-item (b&w UHF) I grew up on. (Which made me happy at the time, by the way.)

20. SpHeRe31459

I guess what I don't understand in all of this "DVDs are good enough" stuff is why wouldn't you want the best presentation you can get (the closest we're going to get for the foreseeable future to having your own pristine 35mm copy of each episode)?

I've owned TOS on VHS and DVD too, and watched plenty of syndicated repeats on TVs new and old. Including a little B&W TV in my grandparents basement. All of which made me happy at the time too.

As I said, the clarity, color, and contrast of the Blu-ray release is unparalleled, so I've never looked back.