The Dresden Files Short Story placement

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The UK ones just look like file folders of various colours, usually with something like Harry's pendent on or something like that. I don't mind too much if they don't match up so I have UK paperbacks up to White Night then a mixture of UK and US hardbacks.

2. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Hat...

Cover art and The Books themselves rarely sync up from a marketing standpoint.

Butcher said that his Publisher thought that Black Fedora, screamed P.I. louder than anything else they could have done.

And based on the few panels I saw at DragonCon this year, the Companies could care less if the images on the covers match up to what's in the books, as long as those images continue to sell the books to walk-ins and new readers. They say that once you're hooked and like the stories, they don't care about marketing to you anymore since you're likely to buy regardless of a cover in most instances. LOL.

3. Bob The Skutter

I like how he has started to make a bit of a joke out of it in the books though. I think he's pointed out at least once in each book recently that he doesn't wear a hat.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What bugs me about the book covers is the way Harry's staff is covered in "runes" that are actually backward Japanese katakana that don't seem to spell anything. To anyone familiar with katakana, it's very unconvincing.

5. Technobuilder

Apparently it's supposed to be some sort of katakana form of saying "MATRIX" or The Matrix (as in the Title of the Film in Japanese) Link: http://japanese.about.com/od/kataka2/a/052103.htm

The story behind it is quoted in the second post here, since the original post by McGrath has since been pruned for some reason.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,597.0.html

And again, it's just another thing Chris McGrath drew that isn't in the books.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. Bob The Skutter

^There's tons of cover art that has nothing to do with what's in the books though, often it makes them look fairly generic. It's a shame.
    I think Jim Butcher said of the Codex Alera art he had to come up with something on the spot months in advance when they commissioned it, and then he was stuck having to try to find a way to fit that image in to the story. Must be a nightmare.

7. Technobuilder

Yeah, that was the cover for Cursor's Fury

[​IMG]

He described a scene depicted above that didn't happen uptil the last 2/3rds of the book while he was still working on chapter 3.

8. Bob The Skutter

I broke and imported Side Jobs from Amazon.com. I'd read all of them apart from Aftermath and Love Hurts. Reading them in quick succession like that, I noticed there's quite a few things that keep popping up, I'm thinking there's some hints about the future in there.

9. Technobuilder

With TDF:#13 Ghost Story almost upon us (late March/early April), what hints from the short stories do you think point to future events?

10. Bob The Skutter

I noticed reading the short stories there is a lot of ancient gods and old monsters reappearing and along with
    the Norse god element of changes
    I think that points to something big in the future. Also I'd say from
    Murphy's story it seems like she's going to decide to take up the sword sooner rather than later to protect Chicago with Dresden out of the picture.

11. Technobuilder

Interesting thoughts. My personal theories are syncing up with yours.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Mine, too. The last rumor I heard was that the series would eventually lead up to an apocalyptic trilogy, so Bob's first theory would make sense if that's the way things really are going.

13. Bob The Skutter

Apparently the thought is the apocalyptic trilogy will be called Stars & Stones, Hells Bells and Empty Night.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

15. Bob The Skutter

Stars & Stones doesn't quite meet the naming convention though, so I guess it'll be a special dispensation like Changes.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Those three titles, IIRC, are all oaths/exclamations that Harry habitually uses. So the trilogy has its own naming convention.

17. Bob The Skutter

Yeah, I knew that. I suppose the Trilogy may have an overriding title anyway and those are just the names of each book. And Changes has already shown Jim's willing to change the naming convention in certain circumstanced.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say that's a rumor as Butcher has said it multiple times. I've heard him say it at signings for "Turn Coat" and "Small Favor".

19. Technobuilder

Well, the naming convention was never a firm hard line mandate. (just something of a nod to classic P.I. fiction)

The original title for Storm Front was Semiautomagic.
    The original title for Grave Peril was Knightmare.
    The original title for Ghost Story was Dead.

All shot down by the publisher.

20. Bob The Skutter

Plus you know Small Favour (in the UK). I like the alternate titles too.