Anyone paying attention to the new pope thing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by farmkid, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Hadrian, Gregory, Alexander. All good names.

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Look up Saint Francis of Assisi.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    St. Francis of Assissi is widely considered one of the most beloved, down to earth and humble saints in Roman Catholic history. I'm not Catholic nor any kind of theology expert so I suggest Googling and using Wikipedia for more and better info.

4. Tora Ziyal

Francis of Assisi was obviously the first one that came to my mind, too, but I just saw that the guy's a Jesuit, so he could also be thinking of Saint Francis Xavier.

5. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All hail pope frank! Didn't have time to finish his w....

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Assisi as well, until my co-worker, a former seminarian suggested that it was most likely Xavier. I was rooting for Timothy Dolan, only because I met him a few years ago when he was still an Arch Bishop. Hilarious guy.

7. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So if we don't know who why is it a good start? I guess if it was a Saint with a unique name a distinction for good or bad can be made

8. cooleddie74

A Catholic analyst just said it's possible the new Pope had both men named Francis in mind when he picked his name.

9. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

That's about all that sounds good so far, though...
    Sounds like a prick to me.

10. SwimmingGnu

SwimmingGnu Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ Sounds really bad! I'm glad I'm not a catholic.

11. Tora Ziyal

Well, when I said it was a good start, I was assuming it was a reference to the much loved and humble Francis of Assisi. Plus I like the (not necessarily intentional) symbolism of a new name that no pope has used before. But then I thought of Francis Xavier, and he could be a good role model, too. One of the original Jesuits, missionary, very spiritual.

I think it's quite likely.

Yeah. :sigh: I like the name, I like that he's a Jesuit, I like that he isn't European. So far, that's where my "likes" stop.

12. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

13. cooleddie74

Yeah, it's probably going to take another generation or longer before all the insensitive and downright homophobic cardinals die off or retire and can no longer elect Popes or be Papal candidates themselves. Frankly I'm not surprised in the least that the new Pope doesn't approve of same-sex marriage....it's not as if the College of Cardinals is a den of 21st century socially progressive thought. I know some people were expecting the Catholic Church to be turned upside down by the results of this Conclave, but that just doesn't happen with a faith that's 2,000 years old and steeped in archaic and ancient dogma and habits.

14. SwimmingGnu

SwimmingGnu Lieutenant Red Shirt

I had hoped to see a glimpse of new thinking and a more liberal view on the world. But I guess the people who are old enough to be elected pope are too set in their ways to change.

15. Tora Ziyal

^Don't be so sure. People said that when John XXIII was elected in 1958 (he was 77), but he's the one who convened the Second Vatican Council that was responsible for major changes in the church.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is this Pope Francis I? I know which name he picked but I can't find out which 'number' he is.

17. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Surprised by the pick. If they were going South American, Scherer was my bet.

Thank God (pun intended) he's not Italian, but (as many Argentinian) he's the son of an Italian emigrant (coincidentally, his father hailed from the same city I did).

Generally speaking, I respect Jesuits more than other orders (which is not saying much, but still). They are quite active in the sciences, voiced for a full apology of the Church for the Galileo trial, wholeheartedly support the theory of evolution and vigorously oppose "intelligent design"; a Jesuit is the chief of the Vatican Astronomical Observatory.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep. This is Pope Francis I.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Not exactly. He's Pope Francis (well, technically Franciscus). He won't get a number until there is a Francis II.

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but I'm not sure if the "I" is officially part of his name or not. I don't think it's added until there's a "II".

*edit: Crap, ninja'd!*