Other planetary unions other than the Federation

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bbjeg, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

The Inter-Stellar Concordium, portrayed in Starfleet Command II (to include the Orion Pirates standalone expansion) is a multi-species union, based on the original version seen in the Star Fleet Universe. (Taldren made a couple of changes to their take on the ISC, such as adding in the Meskeen, an amphibious species that does not exist in ADB's version.)

The SFU has a few other multi-species realms, which have yet to show up in a SFC-esque "hybrid" game setting; such as the WYN Star Cluster (a collection of renegades and exiles from various neighbouring empires), the Mæsron Alliance (a multi-species union founded over in the Omega Octant of the galaxy) and the Federal Republic of Aurora (another Omega power, this one established by various "lost colonies" transplanted from Federation, Klingon, and ISC space). There is also the Imperium, a multi-species power out in the Triangulum Galaxy, but it's not yet clear whether that realm is dominated by a single species or not.

So far as Paramount/CBS novels go, I remeber there being a power called the Regnancy of the Carnelian Throne present in The Buried Age. I'm not sure off-hand if they had a primary species "in charge", of if they treated each of their member/slave species equally.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The Romulans and Cardassians are each highly xenophobic and have difficulty trusting any race other than their own. An alliance between the two powers likely wouldn't last long.

It also doesn't make sense for powers separated by such a significant interstellar distance to form a collaborative agreement, as each side would have difficulty forming appropriate trade routes and supply lines with its counterpart.

Worf said that because he was considering a position with their organization after leaving Starfleet in "The Way of the Warrior."

Beat me to it.

The Xindi were a single species with several sub-species who had evolved sentience, not an organization composed of races hailing from multiple planets.

--Sran

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

While the Romulans are certainly territorial, I've never seen them as rising to the description of xenophobic, and definately not "highly xenophobic."

The Federation seems to make it work.

:)

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How significant are these distances with Warp Drive? We've seen Sisko and others travel from the "frontier" to Earth in days if not hours.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

The premise behind the Regnancy of the Carnelian Throne was that it had evolved out of an older kingdom whose monarchy had been effectively but not legally ended; it had originally enslaved other species, but eventually the oppressed races ended up in effective control of the government. The original species of the Regnancy was forgotten, but the interstellar union they had created lived on. The formerly-oppressed peoples, however, kept the nomenclature of "slaves," with the idea being that their true master was no mere person or government, but the ideals of peace and justice. Anyone who did not consider himself a "slave" to peace and justice was someone the Carenlians did not trust.

The depiction of the Regnancy was inspired by a single line from TNG, where Picard describes seeing Natasha Yar for the first time while she's dodging a Carnelian mine.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Regnancy_of_the_Carnelian_Throne

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I had forgotten that.