The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

Tonight's episode was pretty fantastic as well...

JR is definitely back in fine form. Also, that nitwit Cliff Barnes makes an appearance. Was Cliff's bodyguard Captain Robau?

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yep. That's the same guy.

3. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I agree. DALLAS should have been left alone and not resurrected. I've said it a million times you can't go back. It's over. Let it go. I guess Hollywood has run out of ideas so they poach oldsuccessful properties hoping that the name alone and trappings will be enough but it never is.

All of the shows or films they have tried resurrecting and giving a modern sensibility just remind me of what was once and can never be again(Footloose, Karate Kid, Nightmare on Elm Street, Melrose Place, 90210 etc). I think Hollywood knows it isn't putting out worthwhile stuff so their only hope is to feed off our nostalgia for how great music and pop culture was in the 80s/90s. Truth is I'd rather watch a rerun of these originals that I've seen a million times than watch the new updated dreck they have paraded out.

That's why I decided not to watch nuDallas after the weak start last week with the first two episodes--it isn't the Dallas I grew up on and rewatched on The Nashville Network.

4. doubleohfive

So.... are you going to stop watching? Or are you going to keep watching just so you can complain?

Yeah, you said almost the exact same thing in this thread a few pages ago:

I'm not trying to suggest you shouldn't critique it, but if you've already made up your mind that it's crap, why even bother anymore? Why watch something you don't like? Is it just to rain on the parade of people who actually are enjoying it, or is it just because there's nothing better to do?

Too: Don't you think it's a bit presumptuous (and, frankly, unfair) to already be condemning the show before three whole episodes have even aired? If this were a Firefly discussion, I have no doubt fire and brimstone would be raining down upon this very thread for similar commentary on its third episode...

5. startrekwatcher

Uh... I think I said I stopped watching after last week's two hour premiere.
    I'm talking about it because it is yet another poorly done update of a show I loved and I hate seeing it mangled so badly. I bitched when they brought back and horribly botched Melrose Place, 90210 etc etc. Why can't Hollywood try to be original and come up with their own ideas for television shows the way these original shows' creators did.

What next a Roseanne reboot? How about a Golden Girls reboot with Kim Kardasshian, Lindsay Lohan, Snooki and Paris Hilton? It is just lazy. Dallas told all it needed to in 13 seasons--I'd argue S1-7 and 9 were the only really good ones with 10-13 just grasping for ideas so why go back to this well. It was absolutely unnecessary.

6. startrekwatcher

No, not really considering my personal experience with tv shows from the last decade demonstrate if it doesn't start out of the gate strong in S1(like The Vampire Diaries, Veronica Mars, Heroes, BSG, LOST) it isn't going to get better(Falling Skies, The Killing, Rubicon, V, FlashForward, The Event, Melrose Place 2.0, 90210 2.0, Alcatraz, Revenge, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Camelot, SGU, Kidnapped, Daybreak, The Nine, No Ordinary Family, The River, The Borgias, Invasion, Surface etc) and I end up wasting my time thinking it might get better the way some shows would in the 80s/90s like orig Melrose Place, TNG etc. And even if it starts out hot it always crashes and burns with the first inkling in season 2(Heroes S2-4, BSG S3-4, LOST S2, 3 and 6; VM S2/3,)

Plus I can't stand the new cast of youngsters and since they aren't going anywhere and are a big focus of the new show I can safely say the show won't ever get better.
    Well you wouldn't be getting that from me since I tried out Firefly and thought it to be an overrated piece of garbage pumped up by hyperactive Whedonites.

7. doubleohfive

Meh. Your mileage obviously varies. The range war storyline when Carter McKay shows up in 1988 (or was it 1989?) was well done I thought, but you're not wrong in your assessment of the later years of the show. Too many of the original characters were written out and of the new ones brought in, really only April had any real impact in terms of staying power. Cally and Michelle were great in the beginning, but quickly lost steam. Writing out Donna, Ray, Jenna, and Clayton was unfortunate too. The Russia arc was fun, as was the Europe arc a year later. And I also enjoyed Sue Ellen's making the movie as a weapon against J.R.

So I disagree that there was nothing of value in the final years of the show. Was it as good as the earlier seasons? Of course not. But it wasn't all terrible either.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Decided to catch the third episode. Still like the old timers, still hate the kids.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well you got a girl from Chuck facing off against a girl from Eli Stone.

It's Second Banana City.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder how many Trek actors have appeared in this series over the years...probably dozens, but I can only think of one at the moment (Mary Crosby, i.e. Kristin Shepard, played a Cardassian on DS9).

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Off the top of my head:

Morgan Woodward--Captain Tracy and Van Gelder
    Susan Howard--Mara
    Mary Crosby--Natima Lang
    Glenn Corbett and James Cromwell--both Zephram Cochranes
    Robert O' Reily--Gowron
    Dedrie Imershien--Lt. Whatley (DS9) and Risian Girl (TNG)
    Kate MulGrew--Not gonna name her, you guys know
    Leigh McCloskey --Joran Dax
    Michelle Scarabelli--Data's girlfriend Jenna something

And at least 50 more that escape me at the moment.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It's good that they are using more than the name and "trappings" then.... unless you count Larry Hagman as a trapping...

Third episode, I'm surprisingly still interested... less so with the kids, though Jon Ross is growing on me...

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I figured it was a lot more than I could think of. :lol:

And I repeat: going the other way around, I always thought Connor Trinneer would make a good J.R. Certainly better than bloody John Travolta! :scream:

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I'm glad they got this series off the ground instead of that John Travolta remake.

15. startrekwatcher

Meh to me it just doesn't feel like DALLAS even with Hagman--it just feels more like the "jump the shark" years on Dallas when Duffy and Hagman were the only ones left on the show after all the other characters left and they kept bringing in new characters to try to spark some life into the show.

16. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I'm still thoroughly interested in this series, and enjoying it. The kids, not as much as the older folks, but maybe they will grow on me.

doubleohfive, thank you so much for all your posts here. Reading your comments is reminding me of so many things I had forgotten about the series, and making me enjoy it that much more.

17. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I ran to Wikipedia the other night, and apparently she claimed he was J. R.'s son from the affair, but tests later showed that he was Kristin and her husband's son. So he's Sue Ellen's biological nephew.

Or the nephew of the Next Governor of Texas (I'd vote for her). :lol:

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Great, then I guess you'll be spending your time watching the DVDs.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The third episode was somewhat better than the first two, probably because JR's scheming is front & center now, and that's fun. Also, no Sue Ellen (sorry, her bug-eyed weird acting just annoys me).

Cliff has Robau working for him; JR should just surrender now. :rommie:

20. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

Something else for you to bitch about, TNN is being relaunched shortly as well, by Luken Communications and Jim Owens Entertainment.