MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

ISn't that part of the issue the Reeves films esp. the first two cast a long shadow of Superman. And it can be hard for a new film/TV show to escape that shadow.

And the Williams score is a classic

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHDWdGPomw[/yt]

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No doubt.

As campy as those movies were, Christopher Reeve was Superman. Long shadow indeed.

3. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I think I'm the opposite. Even as a kid in 1978, Reeve never struck me as anything more than an actor in a costume....one he was too small for no matter how much he tried to muscle up.

As an adult, I have a hard time watching the Superman parts of the '78 movie, but really enjoy everything from Krypton right up till he put's on the suit. Some really nice stuff there.

The first movie was the myth of Superman realized. MoS is Superman realized IMO.

4. marksound

I forgot how long those opening credits were. Yikes!

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

You will believe a man can fly. (or something like that)

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Yeah, opening credits like that are now quite out of style - mostly for good reason, getting right into the story is often preferable. But for that film, at least, what a way to set the mood!

Still, I'm glad MoS went its own direction - even if I found the overall result underwhelming, as compared to Zimmer's work on, say, Batman (the Supes theme he employs is good, it's just underutilized for my taste).

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Better than that crap Superman III opening.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sometimes though it is nice to just enjoy a great score as part of the opening credits.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree Reeve embodied the character the best, but I'd argue Cavill and George Reeves still come in at a very close second, as they both had the same kind of tough, commanding presence.

The only ones I kinda struggle with are Routh and Cain, who were both serviceable in the part but didn't really seem enough like "Superman" to me.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

These days, I always skip the Superman III opening segments with Gus looking for a job and the street gag that goes on for far too long. When combined, that's 8 minutes of torture!!:eek:

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

God, the Superman III slapstick opening is just terrible.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's unfunny and goes on too long.

Better to start the movie with just Clark showing up at the Daily Planet. I still think Clark holding the Smallville shirt with big S logo over his chest was fun.

13. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

True that. I know fans who aren't old fogies like me who share this sentiment. It's not just a female thing, either. It's not a dislike for Cavill; he was quite good but didn't *quite* own the role. Reeve had a charm to him. I think it's that he could deliver those boy scout lines and not come across as a wimp or sacrifice masculinity.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked the opening credits for Superman III, mainly because it tried something a little different. The attempt at humor may not have been the best, but integrating the theme and credit sequence into the action was a nice touch.

I wish Man of Steel had an opening sequence or even a title card with a riff. I was waiting for one and thought they'd put one in after Kal El was launched into space.

15. Trekker4747

Yeah, I wish there was a title-card too. We don't necessarily need a whole opening credits sequence but SOMETHING would be nice. Look at "The Avengers" nice build-up with the pre-card action then the theme beat with the title card and we go back into the action. Beautiful.

16. marksound

Returns is up for a rewatch as I haven't seen it since its original release. I hope I haven't slighted Routh.

Dean Cain always struck me as being a better Captain Marvel than Superman. Teri Hatcher was hot though. :cool:

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I consider the Loki opening the worst part of the Avengers, which I loved as a movie. I agree the title card with music was great. The ending credits with Avengers images was the best though.

Hatcher was the MAIN reason I watched Lois and Clark. Loved her hairdo in the first two seasons.

18. Trekker4747

The the ending credits sequence in The Avengers was good too. I agree the "teaser" opening with Loki is weak but something needed to happen to set the plot into motion.

19. Griever

Griever Captain Captain

I'm sure everyone's been waiting for it: How Man of Steel Should Have Ended!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjSNLmb0Ndw[/yt]

:lol:

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh, that was pretty awesome. :D