Maybe the Villian Was Originally Khan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Franklin, Jan 10, 2013.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

2. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    TWOK is done. I'm not paying to see it remade.

So is JJ going to treat these franchises like leftovers: just kinda put it all in a cassarole dish, pop it in the oven and then tell us in the family it's something new and exciting he just whipped up? (I'm a mom, I know how this goes.)

And if he does this kinda stuff to Star Trek, I can just imagine what he's going to do to Star Wars.

3. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Your posts never cease to amuse me. You never make arguments. Only pronouncements.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Making arguments on a casual fan site is NOT a requirement. Never has been.

I can't speak for Dennis, but if I were to constantly engage in "arguments" as you seem to enjoy so much, it would be far too much like my job. On occasion, I engage in a hearty "formal" argument (though usually in the forum most conducive, topic-wise, for it) but mostly I come here to relax and shoot the breeze, as I suspect do most people. If formal arguments are your thing, great. But it isn't the primary purpose of this place. Nor, frankly, does the membership of the board require periodic "lessons" on "proper forms and conventions of arguments". IF necessary, much of that membership can do it reasonably well (do note the "IF").

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

TMP was a "remake" of "The Changeling".

Who says a movie set in the new timeline, featuring characters from the old timeline, will be any kind of "remake"?

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if Khan were in the movie, it makes it no more a "Space Seed" or "Wrath of Khan" remake than "The Dark Knight" was a remake of 1989's "Batman" because they both featured The Joker as the villain.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Like :techman:

8. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

I think Benedict is playing Matt Decker or his son. :devil:

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. It's a waste of my time to take the kinds of nonsensical assertions that are made around here regarding matters of taste and opinion seriously enough to do more than bat the shuttlecock back across the net occasionally. ;)

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would argue that TWoK is barely about the Genetically Engineered Superman we saw in Space Seed. If it wasn't for the fact that Montalban reprised his original Space Seed role (at least in character name) and a couple of references back to some details of Space Seed, it would have been very difficult to determine that the plot of TWoK was any kind of Space Seed sequel at all.

TWoK had almost nothing at all do do with the "Genetically Engineered Supermen who would rule the world" plot. It was simply about what happens after one of those Supermen goes mad with revenge.

I loved TWoK for what it was -- it was a great film. However, I would love to see a REAL Space Seed sequel featuring one or more of the Botany Bay's genetically engineered super-humans in the 23rd century Federation (I mean a cool and calculating one with all his wits about them -- not one who's gone mad). I'm not saying this film will be that -- although it might. And if it were, it would NOT be a TWoK rehash; it would be a true sequel to Space Seed.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They made such an attempt in Enterprise with the "Augments". It was kind of "eh", IMO...

12. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with this. There was really nothing about the genetically engineered superman angle other then Khan mentioning he had a superior intellect. Khan only showed his super strength once IMO. It was when he lifted Chekov with one arm on Ceti Alpha V. I don't consider Khan throwing a few debris around the Reliant at the end of the movie as a show of super strength b/c we have no way of assessing how much that weighs, but we do know how much a human around Chekov's size would weigh.

If it wasn't for Khan lifting Chekov (and then mysteriously pulling him down) while he interrogates him and Captain Terrell on Ceti Alpha V, I would never guess they were people that had any type of superior strength and intellect. Hell Khan's followers in TWOK all seemed like doped up hippies anyway, hardly a MENSA crowd. When I was a kid this plot point was completely missed by me.

By the way, this is my first post back to the TREKBBS in over 3 years!! It's good to be back, the new movie brought me back!! This place sure has changed since back in 2000.

13. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's more than that. They could have even overtly told us they had superior intellect a strength in TWoK, but it still did not utilize/exploit the potential storylines that were alluded to in Space Seed.

Welcome back!
    You can check your sombrero at the door, a watch the blue nacelles light up the darkness.

14. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, their superior intellect would be implied by the ease with which they were able to figure out how to use the systems on the Reliant and "fly" it.
    Of coures, contrast that with the "book learning" version of really manning a starship, where they had no idea about prefix codes, and later in the movie, Khan's battle tactics were two-dimensional.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Harrison could always awaken Khan...

16. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Didn't Khan do some sort of meditation chant prior to prying open the doors to his quarters in Space Seed?

To me, if I'm remembering correctly, always kind of showed the superior strength of the "supermen"

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Meditation techniques, yes, but I don't think there was a chant attached to it. They did have that weird electric sitar music going in the background, though. I thought his crushing the phaser like it was play-dough was pretty indicative of his strength as well. :) As much as I love Wrath of Khan, that was the one major thing that I always thought they messed up on - a fight between Kirk and Khan. Or, at the very least, some kind of better interaction than trading jibes across the comm-link.

18. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Oh yeah, the phaser, I had forgotten about that as well! :) And yeah, its almost as if the writers of TWOK forgot that Khan was supposed to be both physically and mentally superior to regular humans.

Oh and on a side note, I was in the mess hall here in Afghanistan today for lunch and a terp walked by and his name tape said Khan. it took all I had not to jump up in front of him and yell "KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!" Of course he would of had no idea what I was talking about and I probably would have gotten a referral to mental health as well...so i didn't do it. :) I don't know, i thought it was funny when I thought of it. LOL

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Heh heh - context matters.

20. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Please don't curse it into existence, thanks.