Worst Main Cast Character in Any ST TV Series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JeffinOakland, Dec 3, 2014.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worf, and Ezri on DS9. I never saw a set of redundant characters for a TV series.

2. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

In his defense, Worf has been practicing his redundancy for many years.

3. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Worf (Michael Dorn) was in 5 movies and 272 TV episodes (1987-2002). Redundacy would seem inevitable over a long enough period of time.

4. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really surprised Troi isn't being mentioned more often here.

Just watched First Flight (one of the better ones), and he punches a guy who says his father designed a lousy ship. Admittedly he was already upset and had been drinking.

Bakula is one of those actors who really likes his character getting beat up - maybe a reaction against "leading man syndrome".

5. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Worst Main Cast Character in Any ST TV Series

I didn't mind Neelix.

He's annoying but he's supposed to be and there is some character development. I also don't have a problem with Kim. I know he's a little bland and underwritten but i'm sorta glad he's there and i like his friendship with Tom

I hated Worf in TNG but found him more engaging in DS9 (he seemed less growly......there's only so much an actor can do with a warrior race to be fair)

Also really disliked Quark the first time round (and anything to do with Ferenghi culture) but that also changed on later viewings

That's the thing with me. Each new viewing makes me think differently about characters and the show. I notice new things (except with Enterprise because i don't rewatch it....i feel like i have to make an effort....i actually have to motivate myself to watch Enterprise which is obviously not a good sign....hopefully that might change one day)

I hate to say it but the only character that has made me angry is Janeway....not often but just every now and then when her decision making is ridiculous

6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Worst Main Cast Character in Any ST TV Series

I agree that Neelix is one of the few Voy characters who received character development and that he was less obnoxious once they pretty much turned him into Naomi's nanny.
    That's also why I ate when shows drop characters "because they don't work". Don't drop, improve!

However, only because something is supposed to be annoying, doesn't make it any less annoying.
    If a violinist would play their instrument badly on purpose, it wouldn't hurt your ears any less or be less grating.

Now annoying characters can work, but....it has to be the right kind of annoying, they have to have some talent that makes them valuable to the rest of the characters "Yay we have Neelix on our side....oh no....we have Neelix on our side...." or it must be a (to the audience) humorous kind of annoying (and that's a challenge to write for the most gifted even)
    Neelix....was neither a valuable asset to the crew nor was he humorous. They did try to jusify his existence by making hi the Delta Quadrant expert, but that seldom played into the plot and didn't really make sense after the third season anymore (and that's if you are generous)

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Neelix and Voyager are a package deal; can't have one without the other. And I for one like him; always have.

Mandy Hampton, OTOH, was so disastrous Sorkin disappeared her in the middle of an assassination attempt scene with no subsequent reference, ever. She makes a whole season of her show into a continuity error.

[​IMG]
    Hey, look, it's a few West Wing characters,
    plus some lady wearing gray!

... Compared to Mandy Hampton's sins, Neelix is small-time, man. :p

8. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

True, but they become best friends after that or so he says because the other guy is dead