Could Fury have worked with a rewrite?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Oct 27, 2013.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Suggesting you simply say sorry isn't being nice?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assholes don't apologise when they should apologise.

You suggested that this is a situation where I should apologise.

I disagree.

Therefore I am an asshole.

3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm not accepting any labels, I just acknowledge that the remarks were being aimed at me. I'm passionate about Star Trek, and Kes is one of my very favorites. This is a thread about Kes, so I'm discussing her. I care about Kes, much in the way other people I know are seriously into their favorite athletes or reality tv show stars. I think it would be nice if we all stayed away from name calling, even if it's implied.

As for Kes and Tom, and the whole age thing. I didn't have a problem with Kes's age even when she was with Neelix. Well, not much. She's an alien with a different life cycle than ours. She seemed to be a young adult, and was being played by a young adult, so that's how I saw her. I never really thought they were a good match, but I did like that she cared about Neelix, and that her values on attractiveness seem to be pretty different than ours. For that matter, do we even know if Kes and Neelix were intimate? I don't recall off the top of my head if we knew if they were sharing quarters. I think they were, but my memory is pretty terrible.
    But whatever issues with her age anybody would have, surely by the time the Year of Hell was going to happen Kes would be mature enough to have a relationship.
    Now what did freak me out is the alternate timeline where Kes and Tom's daughter married Harry. That's just gross. He was there from the time she was born, surely like an uncle to her. How he could get together with a woman after seeing her grow up from birth, that is disturbing. I do get that she was going to live her whole life probably around people who knew her as a child, but you'd think she'd have gotten with someone not as close to her family. I imagine Kes probably didn't have much of a problem with it, as she'd have a different pov about the age issue, but I'm sure Tom didn't take it well.
    If Kes did stay I wonder if that's where the story was going. Not exactly of course, but at least a relationship with Kes and Tom instead of Tom and B'lanna.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course they grow so fast that Harry could have been trapped in the Holodeck for a few episodes and come out and BOOM the baby he spent five minutes looking at was now an adult.

5. borgboy

Kes was a young adult at one year old, but her daughter was supposed to have aged slower - or possibly was just expected to live longer, right?
    I always felt kind of bad that Kes's daughter and grandson never got born. I'd think for Kes, who had memories of them, that would be sort of like they died.

6. teacake

People always seem to walk away from their alternate reality families without looking back.

7. borgboy

I get that in episodic tv that's pretty normal, but in my imagination Kes had some grief and angst about the loss.

8. teacake

You mean like how Janeway and Tom were in mourning for all those seasons?

9. Guy Gardener

Both the Captain and the Doctor had the right to veto the Kim wedding on legal/medical/ethical grounds.

Although, between daddy and being born on a Starship, Linnis Paris should have had the full rights of a Federation Citizen and should have been able to sue Janeway to officiate her wedding.

10. teacake

I remember watching some show or movie..where the main character was suddenly in an alternative timeline life with a husband and a couple of red haired kids. And the whole episode/movie she was trying to get back which would erase this timeline when she did it and she succeeded and there didn't seem to be any agonizing over erasing these kids from existence :lol:

11. Guy Gardener

Gingers are not real people like we are.

12. teacake

:: stares at Guy's avatar ::

13. borgboy

Any decent person should have some feeling over that.
    I try to block out Janeway and Tom's lizard babies. I tell myself that they were just surrogates to pass on the alien DNA so there wasn't much of a connection. It would've been strange if Janeway had gotten all maternal and insisted on raising her lizard babies. She could've started docking Tom's pay (replicater credits I guess) for child support.

14. Guy Gardener

You need to read more comic books if you don't know who that is.

15. Guy Gardener

By that reckoning then Sam was paying Neelix replicator rations to look after Naomi.

16. teacake

Memoryalpha disagrees with you, they are listed as the children of Tom and Janeway in their Bio cards.

Why are you taking me seriously.

17. Guy Gardener

Too much Scandal.

I have a phantom of Olvia Pope in the back of my head vetting and coaching all my new thoughts.

18. teacake

That's a little creepy.

:guffaw:

19. Guy Gardener

It's not like I've tried to squeeze a life size woman inside there before.

I know all of her won't fit.

20. borgboy

I can see why they would be listed that way, but I still don't think they have any of Janeway or Paris's DNA. At least I didn't see any resemblance.