Love, hate and the AMT Enterprise model

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jayrath, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malformed

Malformed Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember my father helping me with the saggy nacelle struts, copious amounts of glue were used. It was messy but they held.

I used a pencil to color in the windows.

She wasn't the prettiest, but she was the Enterprise and I would lay there at night with the model lit and dream with my eyes open. Though if I wanted to fire phasers I would squint.

2. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

Thanks. I never got the K-7 station, but when I was a teenager I did buy the Galileo shuttlecraft and I also bought the 3 piece TOS set with Ent, D-7, and ROM BOP.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

3. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I've got a... few... of each kit.

[​IMG]

And that's just the reserve stock in the attic.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Now that's...an obsession. :lol:

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Holyyyy crap...

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I almost passed out looking at your collection.

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I got ripped a new one for saying that same thing in a different thread! :) I was "stifling discussion" or some such. I do hate it when you want to know something and people just start making guesses. I'm quoting you next time. If Christopher can grouse like this, so can I. You made my evening!

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wasn't grousing, just asking for a more authoritative source than a fan website.

10. Malformed

Malformed Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ummm... there is something both sexual and disturbing about that photo, and I admit it

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The disturbing thing is how much frickin money I wasted on all those! :lol:
    That was when Ertl declared they were cancelling the Trek model kit line. I thought "Crap! I need kitbashing fodder! What if I can never get another Enterprise kit again!?!"

A decade later I've used maybe five from the whole stack, and Polar Lights has reissued most of the kits with improvements. oy.

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look at it this way; unless you bought those from eBay at inflated collectors' prices, you probably paid a lot less compared to the amount Round2 now charges.

Now comes the next logical question... Have you considered selling a few of your duplicates? (No, I'm not "in the market". It's just a hypothetical pondering.)

Sincerely,

Bill

13. TREK_GOD_1

More K-7 scale details with a standard shuttlecraft giving us the true size of the 1701 in relation to the K-7...

[​IMG]

I know some will be compelled to say, "but that image on the left was retconned scale from DS9," but it one thing was certain about the 1967 miniature and the AMT kit: there was a "door" of sorts in the same area as the DS9 miniature, and it since a Constitution class could not "land" in that space, it only makes sense that it was some kind of hold for signifcantly smaller craft or cargo. So if DS9 proved anything, it was that AMT's mini 1701 was so out of scale, it should have been added to the kit.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh, hell, HiWay hobby blew out those Reliants at $10 each!

Yeah, I've been thinking of maybe a table at MosquitoCon some year. But I don't do ebay or anything like that. Shipping things and figuring postage isn't something I like to do.

15. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to add: DOUBLE HOLY CRAP!!
    Any time I've gone looking for a Star Trek model at the local store and I can't find it. Now I know why.

After I told my hbby stor owner how many unbuilt model kits I had. He told me "If you can count them. You don't have enough." That picture makes me feel better.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

There's a guy in the model club I used to belong to who (20 years ago!) claimed to have at least 4,000 models in his stash. At the time he was in his 50s. I saw him with a table at last year's MosquitoCon trying to sell a biiiig pile of them.

That'll probably be me in a few years, and I only have about 1500. I KNOW I can't build them all before I croak.

17. TREK_GOD_1

Personally, i never got into having too many of the same kind of model; my "dream" (not yet realized) was to have a perfect display model, along with one still in the box. But if i'm not careful, even that threatens to make my home look like a hobby shop.

18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I ind up getting additional copies because after I've finished making a kit, sometimes later I want to do it again. The fun was putting it together and I have no interest in "real world" subjects. So I now have three submarine Seaviews, two Jupiter's 2, two flying subs and a half dozen starships...

I've had dozens of this kit throughout my life (I broke the first few by sitting on them) and it's still my go-to kit for making the Enterprise. It's exactly the right size. The Polar Lights snap together kit is too small (and the nacelles are unnecessarily hard to get together). The new Round 2 kit is HUGE. The AMT is just right and even though it's inaccurate, it's still a beautiful model and a fine representation of the lady. The recent reissue with the smooth hull is the best version yet. Get some after market parts, like the deflector dish and nacelle tips and you have a great model.

19. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Much frustration, since I wasn't that good at modeling. Getting those pylons up and straight! Finally built it upside-down once; that helped.

Decals that would curl up in the water. Arggh!

Once I painted the whole thing silver, which was a very soft, gummy paint that would not dry.

When we moved to a house, the dining room table wouldn't fit in the small dining area, so it went in our basement. It became my modeling table. With a cool, plastic Testors drop cloth. Well, one day in frustration at the AMT Ent. I picked up a nearby hammer and went whamwhamwhamwham into the very nice table, making a very not-so-nice 1/2-inch-deep hole in the tabletop. My dad is pretty mellow, but not when he found the hole.

20. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I have some AMT/ERTL unbuilt models too, al bought in the nineties.

I never bought two of the same kind, except in two cases: the Enterprise-A, because at the time there was no model of the Reliant and I thought I would kitbash one. Never built either one (but someday I intend to).

Also I have 2 Ktingas because the first one I built sucked. The 2nd never got out of the box.

Such modeler I am....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.