"For the Love of Spock" documentary

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Duane, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Leonard Nimoy's son is trying to raise cash for this production. It's on Kickstarter if you want to see more.

2. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

Three days in and already at 115K. I think they're on their way to making the 600K goal.

3. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

That. Is. FANTASTIC!

4. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A great subject. 600K for a documentary - wow, I wonder what he has planned for that....

5. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Perhaps getting Nimoy's fellow co-stars to appear will require their being paid?

Even if its a small sum, it's still not free.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Kickstarter makes it clear that a lot of the money will go to licensing clips and music.

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Noon on 6/5/2015, $134,773

8. Corylea

Corylea Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They have to license Spock's image from Paramount/CBS, even though it's his own father whose image they're using. So yeah, I can believe that would cost a pretty penny.

9. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

I didn't realize Adam Nimoy had such a long list of director credits, everything from Babylon 5 to NYPD Blue. I also didn't realize that he directed his father in the new Outer Limits, I Robot episode. His father also starred in the original episode. Pretty amazing, this should be a real quality project.

10. newpball

newpball Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sorry but that is just ridiculous.

You raise cash for a poor child who needs a kidney transplant the parents cannot afford. Things like that!

Not for someone who just inherited a fortune and much more from future royalty payments for decades on who wants to make a documentary about his father's most famous character.

11. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

I am surprised that CBS/ Paramount isn't supporting this project by donating the property rights..

12. newpball

newpball Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If the documentary was a non-profit fan based production they probably would not make an issue of it, but I suspect that Adam Nimoy wants to make money out of this.

We will have to wait and see, but perhaps Adam Nimoy has similar "ideas" about the legacy of his father as Rod Roddenberry does. After all wealth often does not give satisfaction it merely breeds greed.

:(

13. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As much as I love the idea of a documentary about Nimoy; I hate the idea of his son using Kickstarter to fund it. It does seem greedy.

14. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. I am sure Leonard was a rather wealthy man, as now are his children. If his son wants to give something back to the fans or celebrate his father or simply make money with that documentary, going to the fan well is just plain wrong.

15. Corylea

Corylea Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

People are assuming that Adam Nimoy just inherited a lot of money, but Leonard's wife is still alive, and it's quite possible that he left his money to her.

Also, money is often used as a marker of worth or importance in our society, and I think it may be heart-warming for Adam to see that people cared enough about his father to want to donate towards the making of a movie about his life, especially since his father hasn't been dead long, and the children must still be grieving.

Sure, sheer greed is a possibility, but I'd rather not assume that about a man I don't know, especially when other motives are quite possible.

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

6:21 on 6/6/2015 $174,758

cf Star Trek New Voyages, which has given us 9 full-length episodes and a few shorts, up for about twice as long, $14,253. And Potemkin Pictures has asked for funds directly, as they have run dry on their move and attempt to set up four new series. I don't know what if any, donations they may have received. So obviously, this draws attention. (Links and details about these fundraisers in the Headline News section of Star Trek Reviewed through June of 2015).

17. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks good :bolian:

People had previously asked why it was necessary to raise money through kickstarter. As I understand it, to pay CBS for the licenses to show film clips and still photographs of Mr. Spock does not come cheap. I for one was happy to donate to this project as I would have paid to see this Spockumentary upon its release anyway. At least this way I will get an early download.

I have also opened a new thread for this in the ‘General Trek discussion’ as I suppose it is not, technically speaking, a fan production: Link

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016