Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Not to mention Scientology.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Philip Jose Farmer too.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Isn't that the Riverworld bloke? If so I've never read his stuff based on the fact that I've seen two different adaptations of Riverworld and they were both rubbish. Not exactly fair I know, but they felt similar enough that I assumed they were faithful to the source material.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading Heretics of Dune. Its actually the one Dune book in the main series that I'm nsure I read it at one point, but I don't remember it at all (which is weird, because I remember atleast the main story of the rest of the books). Its pretty good, although I really wish it hadn't continued the disturbing trend of adding pointless sexual stuff to the book. That said, that kind of creepy stuff is basically what the Honored Matres are all about, so I'm not expecting that much of a change. Its not like its brought up that often, but it really takes me out of the book when sex stuff is brought up. Why is it important to read about Orade's sexual training and experiences? The answer is that it doesn't matter at all, and just serves to creep me out. When it has a point with the plot, like with the Honored Matres, then its fine. But much like Nayla's rope climbing fixation in God Emperor, the sexual stuff just sometimes gets brought up for no real reason, and its not to the books benefit. Also, the Tleilax parts have been a bit boring so far. Still, overall I'm liking it with this reread.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'll tell you this: I'd rather read the weird sex stuff in the Dune books than the seemingly endless parade of rapes in the Song of Ice and Fire series.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I got about half way into the first book (Game of Thrones) before I put it down and never looked at the series again. Pretty much every character was super annoying and usually a horrible person, it was seriously the most irritating fantasy book I've tried to read. I've never seen the TV show, but I'm guessing its similar. I have no idea why that book/TV series is so popular.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You sir are cheating yourself out of the best part of Game of Thrones. That is to have many of those annoying characters suffer and die in some rather nasty and creative ways. ;)

Seriously though, my only real problem with GoT is the same problem I have with a number of other literary fantasy sagas, particularly the Wheel of Time books. In that it's clear the author has no idea where he's going with it, or is just intent on spinning the story out for as long as it's profitable.