Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Saw this last friday. Could have been better. But Dr. Doom was creepy.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He looked half Jelly fish.

(Oh god. I can't stop myself.)

Dr Doom's kyptonite then must have been human pee?

They should have tried that.

Reed had a super long hose, that I assume had universal aim.

Sue's invisibility means that she could sneak up on Doom and squat without him being any the wiser, and you don't want him any wiser, since he's already an evil genius.

Is johnny's piss immune to his powers? Because if he's going to be the air pee force, strafing a hard stream is good, but if that fire coat he sweats is going to particulate aerosolize his wiz, I'm not sure if that's more or less effective in dusting their target rather than hitting it hard with a penetrative super soaking.

[THEBILLMURRAY]Ben Grimm has no dick! This man has dick![/THEBILLMURRAY]

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guy, I can't imagine what it must be like to have your brain. Mine just never comes even close to going places like that.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I've skipped the series to save myself the cringing.

5. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We have a show here called 'Movie Juice' that was hyping FF a few days after its release (it came out on Thurs and the show aired on Saturday).

They showed some prerelease interviews with the cast and Trank, and the actors were trying so, so hard to sell it - so many meaningless meaningful words being thrown around. And funny enough, Trank didn't seem at all annoyed by the final product then.

Also, kudos to the presenter for acting so excited about a film she had to know was failing so badly. Her acting has certainly improved since her Home and Away days.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Holy shit. :lol:

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Doesn't surprise me. For all its many, many faults, GL was a lot more entertaining than FF.

8. Guy Gardener

Positive word of Mouth "It's awesome, you should see it."

No word of Mouth "What? ####? They made that into a movie? Dunno? I'm hungry."

Negative Word of Mouth "I wouldn't touch it with yours."

9. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, I found FF to be a fascinating disaster. It was bewilderingly inept, and that was funny,

GL was just really, really uninteresting. And I think I hated Hal waaay more than anyone in the FF movie. Reed was pretty dickish, but we didn't have to put up with him for as long.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  10. Guy Gardener

I need to backstep in time to his birthday, and punch Hal Jordan back inside his mother.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern had a reported budget of $80m more, though... so I don't think the lesson is that FF is a significantly (if at all) worse flop; rather, they're both failures.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It had a budget of over 200 million according to wikipedia so it probably broke even. So maybe FF actually did better.

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

It probably did, just not from the ticket sales.

People tend to forget marketing costs (north of 50 mil. at the least, probably over 100 mil.), and the fact that studios don't get to keep all the box office earnings. In fact, the rule of thumb is, IIRC, 50% from domestic sales, and 15-20% from overseas.

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern had a pretty large failed toyline attached to it too. Not so w/ FF.

"Thanks" Marvel, I guess, for that much.

15. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I just saw it a few hours ago. I hate to go against popular opinion, but I enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong - it had some problems. But not (big) enough that I couldn't enjoy repeated viewings (as opposed to the 2005/2007 films). Is it the FF film I would have made (or wanted to make)? No. But I had a good time.

I'd still like to see Marvel Studios get their hands on the Fantastic Four and do a '60s period piece set in the MCU.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This thread's lasting longer than the film...

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Rather than the period piece that is often mentioned, my ideal version of the MCU FF would be that the team went into space in 1960 (ahead of everyone else) and that the cosmic storm they encounter not only gives them their powers but deposits them back on Earth in our present. Sure, Cap has already done the fish out of water routine, but I like the idea of the whole team being thrust not only into a new world with new abilities, but the fame and celebrity that (to me) is a crucial part of who the FF are. What would the FF be without fame, fun, color, and space travel? :)

...A box office bomb and a real turd of a movie, that's what. *Rimshot*

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Tosk, I had the exact same idea. Start out in the 60's. Since the FF were originally going to space, as part of the US cold war with America (during the Space Race). Cosmic storm happens. Reed and the gang land in 2015/2016 Earth and have to adjust to their new environment.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The thing for me is, I think the Fantastic Four work best as a team that's already extremely well-established -- not just famous in the sense of being a flavor-of-the-month novelty, but in the sense of being establishment figures, the royal family of the superhero community, the anchor of the superscience community. And they couldn't be that if they were added to the MCU, because then they'd be brand new. Reed couldn't become the go-to inventor and supergenius without displacing Tony Stark from that role. So it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't capture that sense of history and legacy that worked so well in the FF comics I've read (mainly just the recent stuff by McDuffie and Hickman). So I fear it's already too late to incorporate the best possible version of the FF into the MCU. They would've had to be there from the start.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The FF could retain that status if they were done as a period piece...I think there's wiggle room in the MCU for that sort of thing. If there's a jump forward to the present involved, I think it would happen in one of their adventures after they'd established themselves, not as part of their origin. And this is a team that traditionally kept a time machine in their headquarters....