VOY The Second Time Around

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by dub, Apr 3, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After watching DS9 for the first time the whole way through and finding my new favorite Trek, then watching Enterprise which I also enjoyed but not as much as DS9 and TNG, I'm now giving Voyager a second chance. I've started that journey tonight. Watching this series is a little different than watching DS9 or Enterprise which I had watched very little of. I was actually faithful to Voyager up until sometime shortly after Seven's arrival, then I watched sporadically through the finale. I remember finding Janeway's voice annoying, then I found Seven's voice annoying...two annoying voices! Aggghh!! Okay, I know that's sort of like complaining about hair (go ahead, call me "Slut"), but I eventually got used to those voices. The bigger problem for me was there were so many lost opportunities along the way for this show to take some risks and be truly great. I would shake my head and say to myself "they should have done this," or "wouldn't it be great if they did that." Keep in mind, I went off to college during the later seasons, so that partly (probably mostly) explains my sporadic viewing later on. So now I'm watching it again and filling in with the episodes I missed. And I'm honestly kind of excited about it!

I just finished watching "Caretaker." I'll tell you right off that VOY has the best show opener and best theme of any Trek in my opinion.

[​IMG]

I love Goldsmith's sweeping theme and the absolutely breathtaking visuals. Love, love, love. I remember also being in love with the ship design.

I really wanted to get a Voyager ship model when I was in high school along with an Enterprise C, but with what little money I had I opted to purchase Trek scores on CD. I was new to CDs and was amazed by them. Back then, they all came in those long, thin cardboard boxes. Anybody know why? I think my first purchase was the score for Star Trek IV because that was the only Trek CD available in whatever store I was in.

Later, I fell into the trap of BMG Music Service. Remember that? I also purchased the Trek films on VHS gradually until I had the whole set. Wowee! Boy, did I wear those out!

I love that DS9 is featured in the episode. Wish there was more of that.

[​IMG]

To me, Paris had the strongest showing early in this episode. He had attitude, but he was also a flirt and likable. You could tell he was hardened a bit from his past mistakes, embarrassing his father, his time with the Maquis and being imprisoned, but he also had a soft side. Great character.

I liked the first officer (pre-quadrant jump). It's a shame he was killed off instead of...well, I won't go there. :p

[​IMG]

I think it would have been great if the guy who played the first officer was actually the Captain initially and then sort of build up his character more in the beginning. His death would have more impact. Then Janeway, the first officer, would have to pick up the pieces and be tested to see if she's really ready to command a crew of mixed allegiance. But I'm sure the writers didn't want to insinuate that a woman wasn't already qualified to be captain, even if that was not the intent. Got to be PC and all of that. Still, I think it would have made a stronger story. The EMH is a treat. I remember loving his arc when I watched.

I also remember finding the array to be an annoying part of the pilot episode. All of the records on those ships and they create a hillbilly hoedown to make them feel at home? Ridiculous.

[​IMG]

And based on the sound she was making and the look on her face, I wasn't sure whether Janeway was experiencing pleasure or pain when she was injected with the giant needle!

[​IMG]

Neelix just makes me laugh. I'm sure he's one of those characters you either love or hate.

[​IMG]

And B'elanna...well, I had a huge crush on her the first time I watched this. And Mariah Carey. And my high school Spanish teacher.

[​IMG]

The trip to the surface of the Ocampa underground was way too long. I remember it being suspenseful the first time I watched, but this time it was just a drag.

People hate on Archer for being dumb, but Janeway has the ability to get the crew back home and she decides to allow the array to be destroyed? Whaaa??? Use those crazy "tri-cobalt devices" to destroy the remaining Kazon ships, give Neelix the Maquis ship, a lifetime supply of water and a couple of those tri-cobalt deals and ask him to destroy the array as soon as they leave, and for Pete's sake set the thing on the array to send them back home. Boom, all problems solved. I can understand the Maquis crew giving in and working with the Voyager crew, but wearing the uniforms? So quickly? Get real! Let's have more tension!

[​IMG]

I did enjoy Janeway's speech at the end. But I wanted the last shot to be the EMH in a dark sickbay saying, "is anybody going to turn me off?'

As I recall, watching VOY during its original run was when I really started to notice the "wallpaper music." I love some of Jay Chattaway's work (especially in ENT), but this episode doesn't rank very high for me.

All in all, a weak way to introduce the situation, but a nice intro for some of the characters. The climax and resolution were especially weak. The only visual tension we actually witnessed between the Kaizon and the Ocampa was a couple of bruises on Kes.

[​IMG]

I understand that the Ocampa are helpless and dependent on the Caretaker and the Kaizon have ships and weapons and are obviously presented as somewhat ruthless. But Janeway's decision at the end would have made more sense if the Kaizon had proven to be more of a tangible threat. Perhaps they managed to capture some Ocampa over the years and treated them as slaves, tortured them, kept them as hostages or something - anything to add more tension visually. Or perhaps the Ocampa could have been (or at least appeared to be) a far less advanced culture.

Out of a possible five emoticons, I give this episode three smilies, a scream and a wtf:

:techman::techman::techman::scream::wtf:

I really should just give it two smilies, but I think nostalgia kicked in.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Each individual series of the franchise has various episodes I do that with. It's the "If Only They'd..." moment.
    It was an attempt to reduce theft. Previously, the little jewel box cases on open display were easily slipped into a garment or bag. Same thing happened with audio cassette tapes.
    I never understood why Scott Jaeck didn't get on-screen credit as Mr. Cavit. But Cavit and the human doctor were both a couple of dicks to Paris, so I guess that doomed them. And Wil Wheaton's "Don't be a dick" motto is thereby justified. Jaeck had previously appeared as the visiting administrator in TNG's "The Inner Light".

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it explains why Chakotay quickly hushed up about Paris. He saw what happened to everyone else who mouthed off to him. :p

Also I like your smiley grading system!

4. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Except for one problem, you got no show. Voyager had to be stranded that was the premise from the beginning. So given that, how would you strand them? That has to happen for Voyager the series to exist.

And again here is the assumption that the Maquis were forced to wear the uniform. We are told that there was an "agreement" to wear the uniform. Don't see how you get forced from that. There could have been members that had to be "talked" into it, and by that implication "reasoning" but I don't see force.

I wrote a very short fic, using a pretty good reason for them to wear the uniform. It is here.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3480815&postcount=426

And it was all Chakotay's idea.

5. dub

My point is there was a way to destroy the array AND get home...which means the story was flawed (for me). Janeway gave up too easily. And so, yes, I think they could written a better story.

Well, I'm glad you asked! ;) I would have spent most of the pilot episode (or possibly several episodes) at home with these characters. Get a real sense of their relationships with folks at home or in their current roles, their problems, their flaws. That way we care about them and we truly feel their pain when they do end up getting stranded away from home. I would have had a flashback scene with Paris and Chakotay, for example. I would have had Tuvok get caught by the Maquis and held hostage by them (more tension for later). I would have had Janeway in an actual scene with her mate. I would have had a scene with Harry Kim and his proud mother. Like I said, I would have had that first officer guy be the actual captain and have some great scenes with him too so there is an emotional impact when his is killed. Things like that. Then getting to the Delta quadrant would have been a quick matter of perhaps the tri-cobalt device firing inside the briar patch causing a temporary "man-made" wormhole, sending them on a one-way trip to the Delta Quadrant. The unique elements of the briar patch combined with the tri-cobalt device somehow caused the wormhole, and it sent them at random to the delta quadrant, then collapsed. So even if they could find a similar briar patch along the way, there is no guarantee of where it would send them if they were lucky enough to recreate one of these wormholes. That's just off the top of my head, but the point is, get them over there with no immediate solution available, that way Janeway doesn't look like a fool for destroying their only immediate chance of getting back. Oh, I'd also have a Cardassian ship become stranded with them, and the Cardassians end up on board Voyager as well. Tension, baby!

I never said they were forced, perhaps others have. I just thought it was silly that they wore the uniforms so quickly since they were enemies, whether they were talked into it or not. It's part of my problem with this series early on -- they were setting this up to be a really tense situation, then they (the writers) immediately begin to water down the tension by having the Maquis wear Starfleet uniforms at the end of the pilot episode. It was just too early for me, that's all. As Melakon rightly said, you have these moments with various episodes in various series. So I can move past it, but it's just one of those :scream: moments.

6. Melakon

The dying Caretaker was insistent that the Array not fall into the hands of the Kazon, because then they would have used it to destroy the Ocampa, whom he was trying to protect. Janeway's sense of Starfleet morals wouldn't allow it either, so she destroys the Array at the expense of a way home. The Maquis thought she was crazy, and some of the Starfleet crew questioned it too.

The real problem with the story was suggesting that the Array could send them back in the first place, but then Janeway wouldn't have had to make a moral decision.

If the Caretaker had destroyed the Array himself with a countdown device, it would have removed the opportunity of returning home without Janeway being responsible for it.

7. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Since this is way too much to fit into a 2 hour premier, I am going to assume that you mean "story arcs" that span more than one episode. (and please feel free to correct me.) Now you just hit on the second problem. Voyager was a network show, the same as TOS which introduces a second layer of executive oversight, the same second layer that Enterprise had. And per UPN, said network, there was to be no story arcs, and that directive was in place from the beginning of Voyager through the first three seasons of Enterprise.

And Melakon, I agree totally, I can see the POV that destroying the Array was not only within the scope of the Prime Directive, the directive required that she destroy it.

8. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Agree.

Voyager was involved, so it became a lesser-of-two-evils choice. If Voyager used the array to get home & the Kazon took it over, then they'd destroy the Ocampa & also drastically change the balance of power in the region.

Voyager remaining in the Delta Quadrant also changes the balance of power, but to a lesser extent than the Kazon acquiring that technology would.

I view the Prime Directive the same way I view the Hippocratic Oath. It's absolute in principle, "do no harm," but unfortunately, sometimes the best you can do is "do the least harm."

9. dub

Yes, Janeway and Tuvok have that exact discussion. And I can certainly see the benefit of...wow, the Captain destroyed their only chance of getting home because she had to save a race from certain annihilation. That's potentially gripping if the story was well executed.

Here's where I'm assuming we part ways -- and this is solely my opinion -- but I just think they could have done a better job on the story, which I attempted to explain in my first post. If I were Janeway, I wouldn't have been so quick to throw up my hands and say, "well there's no choice. We must destroy the array instead of putting our heads together and quickly coming up with a way to make sure that array is destroyed after we use it to get home. That way everybody wins." Maybe set some detonators around the array with timers, set phasers to overload near the array's reactor, give some of those super-torpedoes to Neelix and leave him behind to destroy it or get help to destroy it, anything -- just try a little harder because there are possible solutions where everyone wins -- the array is destroyed AND they get home.

I'm not saying the pilot episode should have ended with them returning to the Alpha quadrant. My point is because there are all of these possibilities that Janeway isn't considering, the story itself is weak. Instead of Janeway looking like someone who stood her moral ground by saving an entire race, she ends up (to me) looking like an inexperienced Captain who isn't considering or even asking for other options.

But that's okay, you know, it's just one story out 7 seasons. I'm not saying anybody is right or wrong, just trying to explain my thoughts after watching the episode. Peace, fellow fans! :cool:

Yes, I said the pilot episode or possibly several episodes (story arcs, yes). While I'm sure the ideas I spouted out are too much for one episode, I do believe they could have pulled off much more character development in those 2 hours if the balance of the show had been different. I could imagine, for example, the "getting stranded on the other side of the galaxy" bit happening in the last 5 to 10 minutes of the show, you see. I realize that would mean a completely different story. But in my opinion it would have been better.

I completely understand that there are people who have no business dictating stories or show direction getting involved and causing problems. It certainly explains a lot, and I sympathize with the writers and producers.

10. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

And I completely agree. I like that you had some basic ideas of what would have made the show better for you. Of course you know that is one step away from writing fan fiction LOL. Have you ever thought about it?

Jacqueline Lichtenberg wrote a blog over two years ago about Voyager and Kathryn Janeway. It was a professional writer's POV of what didn't work, she also advocated "story arcs", and relationship stories.

http://aliendjinnromances.blogspot.com/2010/10/star-trek-voyager-and-captain-janeway.htm

11. dub

Well, I'm not really into re-writing things that have already been written. I just like complaining about them. :rofl:

No, seriously though, anybody can play Monday morning quarterback and pick a story to pieces. I still have incredible respect for the writers, actors and everyone involved who did a much better job than I could ever hope to do. And I have memories of really enjoying much of what I saw of Voyager the first time which is why I stuck with it for so long, so I'm hoping to get to those episodes soon! I just can't remember which episodes they were. It's odd though, because back then I recorded everything on a VCR, so I must have watched VOY over and over because watching now for the first time in over 10 years I had some of those lines memorized! I do have problems with the way certain things happened and things that could have happened to spice things up, you know, but I realize it's subjective and I can get past them and still enjoy the ride. Sometimes I over-explain in a desire to be understood. Please forgive me.

Thanks for the link to that blog and your fanfic! I will definitely check them out! :techman:

12. Melakon

If you can find a copy, Stephen Edward Poe's A Vision of the Future-- Star Trek: Voyager gives a lot of information on the birth and development of the series, including the introduction of Seven of Nine. There are lot of backstage anecdotes, though the book tends to jump around a lot on events rather than a sequential chronology. It does not cover the entire run of the series.

Poe had also written the granddaddy of Star Trek reference books, The Making of Star Trek under the name Steven E. Whitfield.

13. dub

"Parallax"

A "type 4 quantum singularity?" So, there are at least 3 other types we might possibly encounter on our journey! Nooo...!

Thankfully, the singularity is the b-story in my book. This episode is really about the characters. We start with the results of O'Brien 2.0 getting clobbered by B'Elanna!

[​IMG]

This is a great way to set things up (just wish we actually got to see the fight)! This hot-head B'Elanna is going to be Chakotay's recommendation for Chief Engineer? Good luck with that one, right! But then, of course, we learn how truly smart this woman is, and she shares an interest with Janeway in...temporal mechanics.

[​IMG]

"Warp particles! That's the ticket!"

[​IMG]

Don't worry, Tommy boy, your line of thought made perfect sense to me. But the point is, we have some great bonding between nerd Janeway and nerd B'Elanna.

I love the scene between Janeway and Chakotay when they look at each other after a meeting, and then Janeway nods as if to say "you were right." Then we have that beautiful theme playing underneath the scene. Mulgrew was superb there. It's great.

[​IMG]

Neelix and Kes barging into the meeting...okay, that was a little bizarre. It looks like the writers are trying to figure out what to do with these characters before our eyes.

[​IMG]

I did enjoy the scene between Kes and the EMH. Her sympathy for him works well. They are both fish out of water so to speak, both kind of being ignored by the rest of the crew, so the two of them having a nice, albeit short moment together here worked well for me.

[​IMG]

And the ever-shrinking EMH was funny.

[​IMG]

Love the excuse to get Janeway and B'Elanna on the shuttlepod together to seal the deal toward her becoming chief engineer. Like I said before, I wish this integration of the Maquis took a lot longer, but this is what we got. If the writers had to make it happen this quickly, at least they're doing a decent job of it in this episode.

[​IMG]

Now here's something that came flooding back to me during the scene near the end with Janeway and Chakotay...I always wished these two would get together. I can't remember if they ever did? Guess I'll find out! Anyway, I sensed the sexual tension between them starting right here. And we all know how I love me some tension!

[​IMG]

♫ "It's all coming back to me nowww..." ♫​

So overall, while the singularity plot "is what it is" as my old boss used to say, the character and relationship development in this episode was pretty good for me. So again out of five, I'll give this one 3 thumbs up, a heartsy face (for the sexual tension -- even if I am the only one who noticed) and a confused face (for the singularity plot).

:techman: :techman: :techman: :luvlove: :confused:

14. dub

"Time and (...oh boy, not) Again"​

Didn't we just recently have a temporal headache episode? And by "recently" I mean the previous episode. But at least that episode had some character development. This episode unfortunately didn't do much for me at all.

[​IMG]

It starts with Tommy trying to talk Harry into going on a double date with him and the Delaney sisters. So we're reminded here that Tom is a ladies' man and Harry is an uptight, though loyal guy who doesn't want to cheat on his girlfriend back home. "You need to run a self diagnostic," Tom says to Harry. By the way, where is Dick on this show? We've got Tom and Harry.

Anyway, there's this planet that apparently recently had a nuclear-like accident which wiped out every living being on the surface. While investigating, Tom and Janeway are pulled several hours into the past through a time fracture, apparently a random side effect of the accident. Turn the lights on suddenly for dramatic effect there, Sammy!

[​IMG]

Ohhh yeah, the classic "Janeway is shocked look." Work it, Captain! Then, they meet the most annoying boy in Trek history.

[​IMG]

You know, the kind of screaming kid you see while you're trying to relax and do some gift shopping and his mom is texting and carting, not disciplining him! NOT DISCIPLINING! Ahhhgggh!! :scream:

And so, then Janeway and Tom trade in their uniforms for some of the most rockin' attire in Trek history.

[​IMG]

Yeah! Giant colorful stripes! Oh baby. :rolleyes: Meanwhile on Voyager, Kes is crying because she's turning into a Betazoid.

[​IMG]

Then the doctor learns not only are there two new alien crew members (Kes and Neelix), but there's also a second crew of new passengers (the Maquis), and oh yes -- the Captain is missing.

[​IMG]

"It seems I've found myself on the voyage of the damned..." Or the voyage of the boooring. At least the doc's scene is somewhat humorous.

So Janeway and Tom decide it's a good idea to bust up in the middle of a demonstration that's obviously turning violent. Just wait a couple of minutes, it looks like it's clearing up and...

[​IMG]

...ouch. Nevermind. So they're captured. And Janeway tries to strategically let her hair fall ever so delicately down the front of her chest in an attempt to talk her captors into letting them go, or stopping whatever is about to happen that is going to wipe out all life on the planet.

[​IMG]

*sexy growl* ​

So the rest of the crew come up with a way to open a fracture to bring Janeway and Tom back. But they open the fracture too close to the big nuclearesque power source. And Janeway realizes that their rescue attempt is what actually caused/causes the disaster...though somehow she apparently didn't realize this the first time, even though absolutely nothing is different this time. Now I didn't take Temporal Mechanics 101 at the Academy, so correct me if I'm wrong -- but this makes no sense.

[​IMG]

Anyway, the timeline is fixed (because the writers say so), the planet is okay, and the crew has no memory of the events we just wasted an hour of our lives watching. But at least we get a beautiful smile from our lovely Captain at the end of the episode.

[​IMG]

So overall, I'm afraid I must give this episode one thumb up, a crying Kes, a bored Tuvok, a sigh and a shrug.

:techman: :wah: :vulcan: :sigh: :shrug:

15. R. Star

Yeah, this early in the series and Janeway's already routinely screwing up space and time. It's no wonder a few years down the road, Braxton goes nuts after having to clean up her messes full time.

Really the Doctor pretty much carries all of season one. Even in the bad episodes, he's a ray of sunshine in the garbage heap!

16. Melakon

It was a big mistake putting those two episodes back to back. I actually liked the present-to-past lighting trick. It didn't require expensive effects, just make sure everyone hits their cues for lighting and crowd extras. I found myself wondering how many takes it took to go smoothly. I love simple technical stuff like that.

17. dub

"Phage"
    Season 1, Episode 5​

"Any sign of Neelix's lungs?" Now there's a sentence you don't hear everyday. That's right, folks, we're on a mission to find Neelix's missing lungs. As the episode begins, Janeway is having a discussion with her "Number One" when she says to him, "Are you sure you won't join me for breakfast [in my private dining room]?" Come on, Chakotay, ask yourself WWTD (What Would Tom Do), then SAY YES!

[​IMG]

Ah well. I guess it doesn't really matter because Neelix, now a chef, has apparently turned Janeway's GIGANTIC private dining room into a galley.

[​IMG]

This is a much better place for his character than to have him constantly popping up on the bridge as if he was--

[​IMG]

--oh. Hehe...nevermind. So what -- Neelix is allowed to go on away missions now because he read "Tricorders for Dummies?"

[​IMG]

I guess I shouldn't say that since Neelix can easily define a Type 4 Quantum Singularity at the drop of a hat as we learned a couple of episodes ago. He's a brilliant buzzard. So anyway, he goes down with the away team to find some dilithium.

[​IMG]

(oops...boom mic in the shot). ​

And then he's zapped by an unknown alien. When he's returned to the Voyager, we learn that these aliens have somehow removed his lungs in a split second. So Voyager goes off to hunt down the aliens. Meanwhile, the doctor cooks up this plan to put some holographic lungs in Neelix and at least keep him alive until they get his actual lungs back. By the way, we get some more great moments from the doctor in this episode. In an obvious nod to Bones, we get this quote from the EMH: "I'm a doctor, Mr. Neelix, not a decorator." Loved it! And then in a surprise moment, he slaps Tom, which is now easily my favorite moment of season 1 so far!

[​IMG]

Oh, and while we're talking about the doctor...what is the purpose of the water bubble wall? I always thought it looked cool, but in this shot the doctor is using it as some sort of monitor...although I can't think what he could possibly be looking at. Anybody have the answer to that one?

[​IMG]

And it looks like Neelix is showing some signs of jealousy. A lot of clean cut guys are on this ship that look a lot more like Kes than Neelix does. I can understand his concern and I can relate. "I'll be on the bridge if you need me -- If you need me." Those were good scenes for Neelix, Kes, the doctor and Tom.

So Voyager follows the alien ship into a manmade asteroid which has a cave that's basically a giant funhouse. They end up finding the ship and capturing the hideous aliens who suggest a lung transplant for Neelix. After scanning the doctor, one of the aliens says, "According to this, you're not here," to which the doctor quips, "Believe me, I wish I wasn't." Ha! So they end up transplanting one of Kes' lungs into Neelix. There you go, Neelix. She loves you. A nice way to cap off this episode.

I make fun of it here, but believe it or not I quite enjoyed this episode! There were some great one-liners. And the interaction between the characters was pretty good. I like that they're putting Neelix in the galley and Kes as an assistant for the doctor. It gives them a place on the ship that actually makes sense instead of having them awkwardly and randomly showing up in a staff meeting. Kes' pep talk to the doc was good. And the doctor showed some ingenuity by coming up with the idea for holographic lungs. Pretty good for a hologram! They could have made the organ harvesting more dramatic, but since these Vidians ended up having a bit of a conscience (or so it appears) I guess the writers didn't want to go over-the-top with it.

So, I'll give this episode three thumbs up and two Phaged-up Vidians (believe it or not, they're smiling, too).

:techman: :techman: :techman: :ack: :ouch:

18. R. Star

I would've found the Doctor's point more valid when Paris tried slapping him about him able to be non-substantive if he didn't physically touch a panel to bring himself back to normal after that.

Also Voyager probably went on the top of their harvesting priority list when those two found out all they have to worry about is a harsh lecture on why it's bad to steal people organ's from these people. Even the look on their face is incredulous about how dumb that is.

19. Melakon

If you liked "Any sign of Neelix's lungs?" you'll love Learning Curve's "Get the cheese to sickbay."

20. dub

Oh boy...did someone cut the cheese and cause a fracture in time?