Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

My replacements discs arrived today

2. picard_2305

picard_2305 Lieutenant Red Shirt

ANyone in the UK hear anything from play.com?

THe guy at SonyDADC who handles the UK replacements said if I dont hear anything by Mon then to call him.

3. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, if someone were to buy the bluray set for the first time, from say, amazon, would it be safe to assume that they would receive the corrected version right off the bat? Or would it be a gamble? I really don't want to go through this whole exchanging faulty discs thing if it can be avoided.

4. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Anyone on the Eastcoast get the discs yet?

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Nope, Play's site still shows a delivery period of 3-5 weeks. I'm not that bothered as DD2.0 is good enough for me. I'm not bothered by the odd FX mistake as long as it's relatively unnoticeable. Perfection is an unobtainable goal.

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Got my discs today:bolian:

7. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a mail from Amazon UK on wednesday that they sent my replacement set but I have yet to receive it. I don't know how they've sent them but it's slower than usual.

8. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

My replacement discs came today. :)

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Discs were in the mail today, along with a neat little card of the drawing they used in the credits. :techman:

10. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

True, but six-sigma is attainable (99.9997%) -- the goal of most quality control.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Ugh! Two words I had hoped to never hear again once I left the corporate world.

12. Maxwell Everett

Sorry, meant it more in the purely mathematical sense, not the corporate doctrine (certainly not the trademark of Motorola). I'm not really talking about the manufacturing of the discs anyway... I was referring more to the proposal to crowd-source (i.e. using the fans) to spot any visual or auditory blunders that might slip through the cracks before disc replication even begins.

If the TrekCore DVD screencaps are a good representation of how many total shots there are in TNG (57,361 images), then 6 standard deviations is certainly overkill (1 defect in 506,797,346) -- 4.5 would be enough (1 defect in 147,160). :)

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

My replacements arrived to day. Just to be clear, discs 1,3,4 & 5, right?

And I hope nothing is wrong with any of these, I don't plan another re-watch for a while.

14. Maxwell Everett

A poster over at Blu-ray.com has noticed a new problem with the DD 2.0 audio on "Encounter at Farpoint."

I just checked my discs as well and I can essentially corroborate what he's saying. The DD 2.0 track of "Encounter at Farpoint" is stereo, but no longer encoded for Dolby Surround, and thus the various Dolby Pro Logic decode settings (PL, PLII, PLIIX, etc.) do not function. "The Naked Now" is also affected, but it appears that it NEVER WAS encoded for Dolby Surround, as "The Naked Now" on my original disc one also has non-existent surround information... or at least it is incredibly faint. When I disconnect my center channel speaker, I can just barely hear sound coming from the other speakers... but I have to put my ear directly against the speaker to hear it -- so as far as I'm concerned, it's non-existent.

"Farpoint" was fine on the original disc one (except for the delay issue!)... but now it seems after trying to correct the delay issues, they caused another problem. [​IMG]

So again, hang onto the Next Level sampler disc, as it still contains the definitive version of the pilot.

15. Andy_H

Andy_H Cadet Newbie

Confirmed. I e-mailed them about July 30 asking what I needed to do to get discs. On August 1 they e-mailed me telling me to send my name, address, and the code from the inner ring of the BD. I replied to their e-mail with the information on August 1.

Today is September 1 and my replacement discs came in the mail today. I live near Chicago, IL.

16. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Asking again since nobody answered. I guess maybe nobody knows. Has there not be any official word on this? Would I just have to e-mail whatever retailer I use ahead of time to make sure I get the corrected versions the first time?

17. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got mine today.

They sent me 2 disc ones, and a disc 3,4,5

-Chris

18. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rolleyes: I'm sorry but people are getting too nitpicky now. A DD2.0 track should be stereo, and you should only be using two speakers while listening to it. If the original poster wants surround sound,, he should switch to the 7.1 track.

19. Maxwell Everett

You can label it as nitpicky -- but the fact remains that the episode had matrix-encoded sound on the 2.0 track on the Next Level sampler AND the original (first release) disc one... and now it doesn't.

"Dolby Surround/Pro Logic is based on basic matrix technology. When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track. The centre channel is encoded by placing it equally in the left and right channels; the rear channel is encoded using phase shift techniques, typically an out of phase stereo mixdown. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range (7 kHz low-pass filtered[1]) mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard stereo."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

20. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

If you recall on the 2002 DVD releases Seasons 1-3 only had a 2.0 stereo mix for the original audio. It wasn't till Season 4 that the original audio started to get mixed for Dolby 2.0 Surround. And it makes sense, since in the 80's not too many stations were broadcasting in stereo, let alone stereo surround, and most TV sets of the time were mono, but then the early 90's saw a number of stations start to broadcast in stereo and stereo surround (which is the same as theatrical stereo).