I bought a PS3...now what?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by RoJoHen, Sep 6, 2008.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I bought a PS3 primarily for the DVD/Blu-Ray feature, as I've heard that it's one of the best players on the market for the price. I'm not a huge gamer (I have played 2 video games in the last 3 years, one of which is Lego Star Wars, the other Lego Indiana Jones). I know it can do all sorts of stuff, but I'm not really sure what I want to use it for. So...what nifty features does my new purchase possess?

2. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I use my PS3 a lot to play DivX/Xvid files and to upscale standard DVDs. Thats pretty nifty.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

For casual gaming, Lego Batman comes out next month. And you might want to get the Rock Band 2 bundle when that comes out.

Otherwise, time to go Blu.

4. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

You can also use it to stream media from your PC to your television over WiFi or Ethernet. If you're feeling really adventurous you could try installing Linux. :lol:

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Is it next month already?! Kickass.

My friend has Lego Indiana Jones, and I've only gotten through the first 4 levels so far. I can justify buying my own copy because he only lives about 2 minutes away.

6. Aragorn

Oops. Yeah. Next month is this month. Sept. 23.

7. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

wait for Little Big Planet?

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well its a great media center, I'm sitting here with about 20 HD movies ripped from my bro's now defunct HD-DVD collection on the PS3 hard drive, plus the PS3 is very very cheap to upgrade, i replaced the 60gig hard drive with 320gig hard drive for the paltry sum of £55 delivered....and its can use almost any third party device via the usb port be it a usb mem stick or music device, and the DVD up-scaling is just fantastic.

For streaming media or just transferring it into the PS3 i find tversity the best of the bunch.

And when you get board with media you can go onto the store and download some demos as there are quite a few now, or you can browse the net, and its free online, and a line of platinum titles has just been released.

Game you really need to have.
    Motorstorm.
    Resistance Fall of Man.
    Burnout paradise.
    Oblivion.
    Drakes fortune.

9. PalmerEldritch

PalmerEldritch Lieutenant Red Shirt

i suggest logging in to the Playstation Network Store and downloading any and all demos, videos, or trailers that interest you.

i'd recommend the Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and The Force Unleashed demos.

Little Big Planet should be out soon too.

i've been using Netflix to get my hands on Blu-Ray movies. Crank (although completely ridiculous) looks AMAZING in Blu-Ray. :p

eventually, Home and Life with Playstation will be released.

oh. and the PSN Store has video and tv rental if you want to try that.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Return it.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh!!!...any reason why.?

12. Aragorn

You're asking why on a one-line post from bigdaddy? I'm just surprised it took him this long to post it!

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Yeah, then get a 360.

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Commodore Commodore

I generally don't get involved in the "console wars" debate, but the two responses above bother me in general as a consumer.

Tell me, dear fellows, why would I want to return a machine that not only plays decent games, but also has the best high-definition experience (1080p) built into it? Essentially, for $250 apiece, I'm getting a gaming machine *and* a pretty kick-butt Blu-ray player. (I purchased my 80GB PS3 in February for $499, before the recent price cut to $399.)

I want both, and the Xbox 360 doesn't offer *both.* It offers good games, but not Blu-ray quality movies. If I purchased a higher-end Xbox 360 model and a Blu-ray player separately, I'd probably be paying close to, or more than, what I originally paid, and I'd have *two* separate pieces of equipment (along with their tangle of cords) filling even more of the precious space w/i my rather small living quarters.

I'm a level-headed consumer. I weighed the pros and cons of the Xbox 360 and the PS3, and went with the latter. Live and let live, I say. If it ain't trying to kill or maim you, leave well enough alone.

Anyhow, just my two cents, FWIW.

Gatekeeper

15. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Great advice! :lol:

If you want a Blu-Ray player right now, the PS3 makes a great choice. And if that's your goal, everything else it can do is simply a bonus.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^Thank you for actually reading.

Yeah, I love it for the Blu-Ray player and that it upconverts my current DVDs. The picture has never looked better. I'm looking forward to what else it can do. I'm thinking I might use it to download the first season of "Chuck" before it starts back on the air.

My former roommate just bought a TiVo, and we have decided that TiVo and PS3 need to hook up and make babies.

17. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey!

What are you doing trying to inject some common sense into the fanboy console wars? Don't you know that's not allowed on the internet?

18. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the PS3's hard drive is replaceable, you could probably make that happen somehow. And by replaceable, meaning you could put in any size drive you want rather than be forced into paying for Microsoft's overpriced "options" and keep all kinds of video and music material right there.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I am surprised the amount of people who seem to use it for non gaming stuff, did Sony forget that they are in a gaming marker with the PS. I know all the extra stuff are good for some people but it amazes me that SONY didn't think that they would sit bottom behind Wii & 360 who mainly concentrated on gaming.

20. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sony's made no secret of its desire to make the Playstation much more than "just" a gaming console for YEARS. They really want it to be an entire media/entertainment center for the home.