Spoilers Destiny: Mere Mortals by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Julio Angel Ortiz, Oct 24, 2008.

?

Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals"

1. Excellent

107 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. Above Average

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Well, the reaction of the Tholians makes a lot more sense when viewed in the context of the events that occur in the Star Trek Vanguard saga.

Glad you enjoyed the second book, and Captain Hernandez's tale in particular; that was my favorite part of the book to write — perhaps my favorite part of the entire trilogy.

2. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Your love of Captain Hernandez's tale shows. In my opinion it's what makes the Destiny trilogy the best Trek story I've ever read. While reading it I often asked myself what I would have done if I were in the situations she and her crew had been placed in all parts of the trilogy.

The Destiny series did so well, not because it was a great Star Trek story, or even a great science fiction story. But a great story. Period. It's the only three Trek books I've convinced non Trek fans to read and enjoy.

I'm glad it set the tone for the Trek stories to come.

3. Mizrach

Mizrach Lieutenant Red Shirt

This one is top notch.
    Beautifully written, characters are unforgettable, plot pacing is perfect. My body needs the final novel, so this comment is short.
    Just one thing that bother me: the paradox of the Caeliar. Some century from now (2381) doesn't the city of Axiom need to arrive at New Erigor, where the city of Axiom arrived in the novel? There will be two city of Axiom, and every 5-6 century a new city of Axiom will arrive there. Or I miss something?

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

You definitely mis-read it. There is no paradox, per se, just a self-consistent causal loop, which is completed when the Caeliar who are flung back to the beginning of the universe send the feedback pulse that triggers the Cataclysm on Erigol. Axion is not the city at the beginning of time.

5. Mizrach

Mizrach Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just a moment.
    For clarity sake let's define New Axion the city in the present, 2381, and Old Axion the city in the past, 2161.

In 2161 two things happens:
    1) Old Axion is catapulted in the past by the Cataclysm.
    2) New Axion observe on New Erigol the Cataclysm that take places in Old Axiom.

Old Axion begin the journey for New Erigol and presuming New Axion are still in the same place after Lost Soul (please don't spoiler!), Old Axion needs to arrive in New Erigol in some century and find New Axion, because this is the same universe for New Axion, Old Axion and the Caeliar at the end of the cosmos.

What I'm missing?

PS: forget everything I said. Time advance, so when Old Axion arrive on New Erigor, New Axion is 6 century in the future :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral