Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Khan Harrison, Jul 8, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw Kate Mulgrew a couple years ago when she was in Melbourne and during the Q and A some idiot stood up and asked her in that rambling way people do at cons.. "so I've heard these rumors and I don't know if they are true or not, I really think they might just be rumors but I've read a lot of them and I don't know if they're true but I'm wondering is it true that you and Jeri Ryan had a huge conflict on the set and don't like each other?"

And boy was there a reaction. Mulgrew had been very lively and happy up to this point, seemed to be having a great time. At this question she lowered her microphone and her head and paced back and forth a couple times, then turned towards the guy that asked it and fixed him with the Janeway Death Glare. She said in the Janeway Death Glare Voice, "Oh I think you DO believe those rumors because I don't think you would have asked this question if you did not." Guy starts spluttering and she does that great Mulgrew hand held up thing where everything STOPS.

Then she told us that yes she resented that the first woman captain which she was very invested in being was going to be undermined by a sex symbol which is what all the publicity told them Jeri was going to be. Here she was, refusing a relationship for Janeway to not undermine her captaincy and now they were bringing on this person who was by all they had seen there to sex the whole thing up.

She then went on to say that the character became much more than that and that Jeri is a great professional actor etc.. but that initially it was taken very badly as a downgrade for the show.

I don't recall her mentioning Lien but I've read elsewhere she got on well with her, so I'd imagine that may have come into it too.

And that was it. I'd imagine she was probably a bitch but really this was years ago and she seems to want to get over it.

ewoodcourt likes this.
  2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

From Dragon Con 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Her face is priceless.

3. teacake

So, it was 100% slash. As I have always thought.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Judging from interviews alone, since I have not met them in person (YET!)...

I love Kate Mulgrew. I love her voice, her personality, and her humor. I've seen enough footage and heard enough interviews with her to make some sort of assessment and I just relate most to her. My favorite actor on the show to watch outside of Voyager would be Robert Picardo...however I love Kate. She didn't grow up in Hollywood, had a rather simple life before Voyager, and I think she probably tried pretty damn hard to get where she is.

I like Jeri Ryan and think she was kick ass as Seven, but something about her seems faker to me than Kate. However, I haven't seen as much footage with her, so forgive me if that seems like a premature assessment. Then there's that weird stuff with Jack Ryan about the sex clubs...and dating the show's producer RIGHT after. It's a little bit off-putting of her to expect everyone to just be fine with her dating the show's producer. Then she had to rub it in that she was treated better after? Also I am not a Republican, so we differ in that respect too. :P

Robert Beltran, judging from interviews, obviously doesn't like Star Trek at ALL...and was PISSED as all Hell about how his character was developed. I have to say I appreciate his honesty and candidness about how he feels. You can't say the dude is at all fake...however in most interviews he acts like a douche. He doesn't seem to care what the fans think of it either. I oddly respect this, but at the same time think it's rude. And apparently his favorite episode is "Tattoo" which is one of the worst VOY episodes, Chakotay or not Chakotay...and I love VOY. :ack:
    Beltran was okay in some of his more "serious interviews" and he seemed genuine. I'm sure he's an okay guy. But, I can never tell whether or not he's joking when he says negative things about his character and Star Trek. Because in other interviews, he acts differently. I would want to meet him just for the experience.

Just my opinion. Has no baring on this issue actually of Jeri/Kate. I just happened to watch some really whack Beltran videos on YouTube just now and wanted to post my feelings. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    ewoodcourt likes this.
  5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I don't think she was as concerned with her own character's popularity per se. Probably she just thought that a) it was uncalled for to throw Kes out (which didn't matter to me since I'm not a big Kes fan) but being on a show with someone for 3 years and then seeing them just get fired could be jarring, especially if they were close. b) I think she cared more about the show's integrity and quality than "her character". When they announced "we are bringing in someone sexy to boost ratings" she probably assumed that they were becoming less concerned with quality and more about ratings. However, Jeri Ryan did bring much needed quality to the show which Kate fully acknowledges in several quotes after the fact. I think she understood after a few episodes that the character and actress had a lot more potential than just 'hot chick'. She admits this many times over the years.

6. teacake

I'm uncomfortable with judging celebrities on how they come across from a patchwork of impressions. Now sure, sometimes a celebrity is know far and wide for kindness or nastiness, but otherwise I'm going to assume most are the usual mix of good and bad stuff we all are.

When I saw Jeri Ryan (god I seem to be crapping on about seeing people too much here.. we have LOTS of conventions in this city, some as cheap as 25 bucks, I could literally see Star Trek actors at 6 cons this year.. ) she was quite self contained, some would say aloof, and quiet. Direct contrast to Mulgrew who is on stage as a performer and obviously loves every minute of it. I certainly didn't think Jeri was at all fake, she was just not particularly extroverted. I know she didn't do cons for a long time because of the stalker, so maybe she's never quite relaxed since. I got to effusively thank her for 7 during the autographs and she seemed genuinely pleased with what I said.. 7 is my favorite character and I am thankful that Jeri portrayed her so wonderfully and put so much into it.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Huh? When did I blame Ryan for anything?

8. teacake

I'm wondering if Lynx has refused to read People ever since, even when waiting to see the dentist.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Urban legend has it that Mulgrew resented Jeri for Jennifer getting fired and would have taken out that resentment on anyone who was cast as "Seven of Nine". Urban legend is bigger than any of us.

10. teacake

Wouldn't the rest of them be freaking out that they could redshirt it since Lien hadn't been safe? Only the Captain was safe.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Urban legends aren't true. That's why they are called Urban legends.:p

12. teacake

Just because you don't have alligators in your sewers doesn't mean everyone escaped such menace.

13. Guy Gardener

Mulgrew was shitty to Jeri, that's not in question. Time was a variable. If it lasted longer than a week, Kate's got a problem with her anger.

Now reportedly the seed of all this is either because Jeri was young and pretty, or because Kate's buddy got fired to make room for Jeri.

Flip a coin but if it's the latter, Jeri being much older and matronly than Jennifer, really calls bullshit on young and pretty being an issue worth spitting over.

14. teacake

Matronly?!

wth am I reading here.

OH..

Right.

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Does 'matronly' mean big norks?

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

:bolian:

17. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I'm all for season four's older, more matronly casting.

18. Guy Gardener

Jeri was a woman.

She replaced a younger much woman who could pass for a child.

Matronly.

It's relative.

How many comments have been made so far about Jeri being a hot young thing compared to Kate?

Jeri is not a hot young thing compared to Jennifer when this happened.

Hot, yes.

Hot and young, no.

19. teacake

Kes is not hot, was never hot, could never be hot. She went from being like some Happy Days girl in a poodle skirt to looking like a jaded PTA mom and there was no hotness in between. And yes I believe there are hot versions of both the poodle skirt and the PTA mom but Kes was not one of them. Ever.

Every single person on that ship including Neelix was hotter than Kes.

20. Guy Gardener

I didn't say Kes was hot.

I said that she was younger than Jeri.

That's it.

The 27 year old was older than the 23 year old.