La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Could it also have been a sound engineering issue? Perhaps at this point, they weren't able to dial out the sax as the track is now final? But back in the day, they were working with all the raw elements and could do what they wanted? I'm not sure how that works, but its a thought. It would be cool if FrontierTrek addressed this in the interview that's coming soon! ;)

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Usually soundtrack albums are assembled from those very raw elements. I think it was just a choice to let us hear the cue as McCarthy originally wrote it. After all, countless soundtrack albums have done the same. It's not some anomaly that needs to be explained; it's the normal practice.

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

i like it though i do agree it should've been (alternative)

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

My copy arrived yesterday, but I had a splitting headache so didn't open it until today. I haven't listened to any tracks yet, but I was very impressed by the artwork of Sisko, Jadzia, Ezri and Odo on the CDs; the booklet is also very informative.

5. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Almost forgot guys, I recorded a fantastic interview with Ford A. Thaxton who worked as producer on this soundtrack collection. It's a wonderful companion piece to the set.

Here is Part 1 - up today:
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/ds9-soundtrack-ford-a-thaxton-producer-interview-part-i/

Ford offers his insights into the background of this soundtrack project, the origins of a "Lost Album", cue names and the reasons behind the track choices for the set.

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

That's a great interview, FrontierTrek. Thanks for sharing!

7. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Finally got my copy today. Apparently Canada Post redirected it incorrectly :S. Just finished the Call to Arms music and gotta love it. I really think it was a mistake of the Berman era to downplay the music so much.

8. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I agree that listening to Bell's tracks he used the same chord progression over and over again, which when listening to it on a Soundtrack back to back you loose interest. That being said I still really like his music. I think it was much darker and the simple chord progression actually helped the music 'flow' better. Track 17 on Disc 3 Following Throw Pills/Makes Him More Dangerous is my favorite on Disc 3.

9. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the Chattaway disc is the biggest disappointment for me. Almost everything before "Call to Arms" isn't especially interesting (although the "By Inferno's Light" cues have their moments). They should have included more of his emotional cues to balance out the action.

The McCarthy disc is very surprising, in that I find the earlier material to be more interesting than the later, at least as presented here. Who knew that the score from "The Storyteller" was so interesting? Of course, it's virtually dialed out in the episode.

10. Muldfeld

Muldfeld Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks as well, FrontierTrek.

11. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too good a theme not to reuse, but since that was on Best Of Star Trek Vol 2, I've had that for years, and there are a few dfferences later on. Its funny because I remembered the DS9 cue for the Defiant's arrival, so listening to the Die track and I'm waiting and waiting and waiting...

I don't care for Enterprise in the slightest, not seen any for years, not bought on DVD or anything. But I did buy the soundtrack as it reminded me so much on Generations.

There's more from The Visitor on The Best Of Star Trek 30th Anniversary, in fact the one track on this set is a direct duplicat from there.

I think for my digital archive I'll add the WOTW and Visitor tracks where they belong. If I don't go the whole hog and sort everything into episode order.

I've already added the closing titles to my Emissary folder!

Interesting you say that, because I'm very much in agreement. I copied CD2 on to my phone and the track listings aren't (or weren't) up so it was just track 1-23, and there wasn't anything before Call To Arms I could place. It all just sounded like either his Descent or Caretaker tracks already on CD.

CD3 - Another 1 or 2 tracks from Sacrifice Of Angels and I'd have been so happy, still can't win em all.

13. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From trekcore.com and their interview with Ford A. Thaxton:

You got it, Mr. Thaxton!

Here it is in all its jazzy glory! I left the dialogue in the beginning, but I have the music louder since this video is about the music after all! :)

SD version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du7bqrl2a9g

Here it is upconverted and scaled up to 16:9 if anyone cares for that sort of thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY7lELcpfjs

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Mine arrived here in Australia beginning of last week.

15. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I might be in the minority, but I happen to enjoy all of the Chattaway disc. I think it's great that there is more of his Trek music on disc, following the initial TNG Vol. 4 from GNP Crescendo and disc 2 of the TNG set from La-La Land. His cues from "The Search" I really dig, along with the more moody, suspenseful work from "Broken Link". Admittedly, "Call to Arms" is the centerpiece and highlight of the disc, hard to argue against that one, but I personally find it a fun listen from start to finish.

Also, I really am enjoying the McCarthy disc, but I was already a fan of his work previously.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I just got done doing that yesterday! All the DS9 on CD I own in one folder in chronological order. (Emissary, Best Ofs, 4CD, James Darren album) ...137 tracks. :)

I actually much prefer it this way, as it breaks up some of the repetition people were talking about.

17. Muldfeld

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh God, this is infinitely better! Thanks for putting it up with the video! I think the sax works great with the images of Odo, Kira and Quark. So much more emotion and melancholy is evoked with the added sax. I have to say it especially suits Quark as a character. I don't know why.

19. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

I think they made a good call dialing out that sax. It sounds fine on the CD but it's kind of distracting when paired up with the footage.

20. Muldfeld