The Final Frontier With Decker On Board

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Suppose Will Decker were still aboard Enterprise with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy during the time of The Final Frontier. As he seemed to be a man of spirituality ("We all create God in our own image."), how do you think he'd have reacted to Sybok's proclamations about taking the Enterprise through the Great Barrier to find Sha Ka Ree? Would he have embraced the idea that God was waiting for the crew on the other side of the barrier, or would he have reacted with skepticism similar to Kirk's?

It's difficult know for sure. He wasn't there, and not enough of his character was fleshed out before he departed with V'Ger. But given what we know of Decker, what might he have done upon meeting Sybok?

--Sran

2. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

He would have had sex with that big floodlight at the end.

3. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think that Decker would have embraced the possibility that Sha Ka Ree/God was on the other side of that barrier. Just from the way he accepted V'Ger (even though it was probably because of Ilea) but still, V'Ger was like the ultimate unknown of that movie. God is the ultimate unknown of pretty much anything. So it's possible, but Decker wasn't my favorite person so I'm glad he was just in one movie.

4. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Same here. I never cared for the character much.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think he would be curious and to know for sure if God was at the center of the galaxy, but I also think he'd be the first one behind kirk wanting to know why God needed a starship.

Before or after having sex with Doctor Gillian?

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Good point! I can totally picture Decker and Kirk exchanging a WTF look after hearing the entity ask for the ship. More than that, I think Decker's reaction to the entity asking Kirk's identity would have been priceless.

--Sran

7. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

He would reccomend so much more simulations in the warp enginas that they wouldnt still have reached Numbus

8. Captain Clark Terrell

As annoying as that was, it might have prevented the Enterprise from flying into a wormhole.

--Sran

9. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What does God need with a starship?

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He really wanted to get those frequent flyer miles.

11. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

He would have made Kirk get those f@&king shields up before Khan could land a hit.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

I don't know...

Decker: "Recommend defensive posture, Captain. Screens and shields."

Kirk: "No, Mr. Decker. That could also be misinterpreted as hostile."

--Sran

13. austen_pierce

Good point. Maybe with both Decker AND Savik urging caution Kirk would have listened.

But back to TFF. I do wish the movies would have kept with the concept of an XO, but I guess the Shat never wanted to share the spotlight. He definitely would have given Kirk a reality check on going along with the whole God premise. I think his quote from TMP about making God in our own image was more anthropological than religious. He seemed too 'by the book' (sorry for the TWOK hook again) to buy in to Sybok's mantra.

14. Captain Clark Terrell

By the book or no, I don't think he'd have fallen for Sybok's nonsense. I do think he'd have been genuinely curious about the chance to find God and would have pursued the opportunity to cross the Great Barrier. But I don't think he'd have played along when Sybok wanted to explore his deepest pain. And like Kirk, I think we've already seen it play out on screen.

--Sran

15. austen_pierce

Decker WOULD have done better than Chekov at fooling Sybok into thinking he was captain.

16. Captain Clark Terrell

No doubt, since he actually was a captain and not just pretending to buy Kirk time. Better yet, Decker might have been leading the away team instead of Kirk, so Kirk could have talked to Sybok himself while Chekov stayed at the navigator station.

--Sran

17. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I can totally agree with this.

18. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Ah, Chekov. He wasn't exactly brilliant *before* the eel chewed his brain.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As lame as his attempt was... what's it say of Sybok that he was fooled by it?

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Honestly? Probably nothing. Sybok certainly knew of Starfleet, but it's not a given he'd have known how to recognize individual rank insignia. As a rule, Starfleet officers don't lie. He had no reason not to take Chekov at his word. As Sybok had been wandering the galaxy for several years, it's not surprising that he had no idea who Kirk was until the latter introduced himself (using his typical leadership by arrogance approach).

--Sran