STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It didn't seem to take the Borg very long to kick the Fleet's ass in The Best of Both Worlds. And we have absolutely no proof that it took them any longer in First Contact.

It seems to me that those that like a Trek movie will go out of their way to defend a 'goof'. Those that dislike a film will condemn it based on the same exact thing.

Hats off to Flake for at least admitting there is no rhyme or reason why it didn't bother him in one film but does in another. :techman:

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Yes. These writers have all these gizmos at their disposal and don't have a clue of how they should use them or the implications of altering them beyond all recognition to serve the plot.

3. BillJ

Because most who condemn these new movies based on a flaw will go out of their way to say the same exact thing never happened in the particular Trek they like.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those people are crazy.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

And these screenwriters are doing everything that the owners of Trek can ask for: they write hits.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not a "defense" - it's an attempt to make the complainers be honest, if that's possible.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're confusing what we're saying for some kind of attack on the old. What I think is being said is that we accept Trek for what it really was, not some idealized head canon. It didn't bother us before, why should it matter now?

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

We don't know how long the Enterprise was at Warp before the core malfunction dropped them out again. The civilian ship could have taken hours to travel to Kronos and hours back again, with the Enterprise right at the edge of Klingon space.

The Mudd ship actually could have taken the longest part of the journey, since we don't get to see the vast majority of the outbound or return journeys for it, which are implied to take quite a while.

9. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enterprise has been lampooned mercilessly for its mistakes, which is on par with nuTrek.

I'm the first to acknowledge old Trek's many flaws but they didn't have the Internet to cross reference things and nobody knew Trek would become such a phenomenon back then let alone one with such a rich wealth of lore. The end result was silly but the mistake was excusable.

Less so today.

And that goes triple for the negligent sexism.

And quadruple for abusing known laws of physics (and I'm talking supernovas, black holes, and freefalling objects hitting a planet's atmosphere.

10. BillJ

Star Trek has been abusing the laws of physics for a really long time now.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

"Cold antimatter implosion = time travelz" for a start.

12. Flake

I *might* be wrong, but the Enterprise fell out of warp a few hundred thousand km from Kronos. We can see it from where the Enterprise is. Again the warp core malfunction conveniently occurred nanoseconds before they would've dropped out of warp anyway yet it appears to occur in the middle of the trip because no one is prepared for arrival. Surely the Enterprise warping into orbit of Kronos is suicidal but it seems that was the plan? I thought they were going to the neutral zone? Need to see it again (and I will be but not today!! :p )

13. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Just seen the film plenty of nods to TOS that made me smile a lot got sucked into this the 1st hour then it flips it on its head brilliant plenty action all the way makes the film fly by and hopefully a bad guy ready for his revenge can't wait for the next instalment !!!

But please next film more McCoy Chekov and Klingons !!!!

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Kirk's orders where to park at the edge of Klingon space and aim the torpedoes at the planet, that they could travel at warp themselves and go the rest of the way.

In the film they imply they're in dangerous territory, that Klingons do patrol that far out, but it would take hours, even a couple of days before they were found.

They were never meant to go anyway deep into Klingon space, I know Kirk changed his mind about bringing Khan back alive, but he still wanted the Enterprise kept mostly out of harms way, making sure the Klingons never detected any Starfleet presence.

So the Mudd ship could have been at Warp for a couple of hours all the way to the planet, then the same back taking up most of the distance.

Then as I said above, the much faster return could have been the Vengeance pulling the Enterprise along in her much faster more powerful warp field, overriding the Enterprise's.

15. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

I am so happy they used section thirty one and they mention ketha?! Martoks birthplace! Love that ds9 is getting respected more here than in all 4 tng movies

16. Flake

Park on the edge of Klingon space yes but I'm sure they end up a few hundred thousand kilometres from Kronos and thats after they are forced out of warp. It doesn't make sense. Like I said I've only seen it once and I am not 100% certain of anything but this is what I remember.

17. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

The ideal time that it mattered was when the reboot initially started. That was when they could have decided to make a change, but they just didn't want to (nor would many creative teams want to). Bitching about it two movies in is just not accepting that fact from the first movie. I'm not sure what people were really expecting in that regard.

18. F. King Daniel

Interesting tidbits and backstory on Joseph Gatt's character GATT2000/5000/Science Officer 0718

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

20. F. King Daniel

After seeimg the movie I was wondering if he was a jacked-up Bynar:lol: