Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 11, 2012.

?

How do you feel about Zachary Quinto as the new Mr. Spock?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2013.
  1. GREAT Performance!!! I loved it. :)

70.7%
  2. He did okay. So far, so good.

22.0%
  3. Mmm, I'm not sure.

2.4%
  4. FAIL!!! Who hired that guy??? :o

4.9%
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Erm... would that be incest or masturbation?:ack:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

We'll have to ask the Admiral Janeway/Captain Janeway and Tom/Will Riker crowd.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

No, nothing's wrong with loving yourself. It's healthy. And of course I'm talking of friendship. :lol:

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

:lol:

5. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

So far, so good. I think Quinto's was the best performance of the new cast. He doesn't have the voice, but he does create a convincing version of Spock.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

I liked his performance the best too. People keep saying that he doesn't have "the voice," but I think his voice works out well for the part.

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Less than 'I loved it', but more than 'he did okay'. :shrug: Quinto obviously took pains to prove he cared about doing the character justice.

I was somewhat distracted by his [bigger than Nimoy's] nose.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Zachary was incredible in the role. That scene where he was narrating the captain's log after the destruction of Vulcan and the camera crept up on his face while he intones "I am now a member of an endangered species..." (paraphrasing) choked me up. The look on his face, the bleakness in his eyes...

He's a good actor, that kid. I wish him well. And I know he's got Nimoy in his corner so he'll be okay.

9. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I would say Zachary was perfect..although people seem to be concerned about his soft voice in comparison to Nimoy's authoritative voice.

May I also add that Zachary Quinto as Spock was one of the most beautiful men I have ever seen in my entire life

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. teacake

Yes.. yes you may add that.

Though I'll have to put him down as second most beautiful because of my Rodney McKay fixation. NuSpock is really a revelation of perfect.

11. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

This is my one niggling factor as well. Quinto's great, but he probably won't be on everyone's shortlist for documentary narration any time soon. Maybe that'll improve with age.

I'm that guy who still plays Civilization IV just for Nimoy's voice work.

12. teacake

Oh but HEY NuSpock is young, he's still going through the 20 year long Vulcan puberty. His voice will get deeper.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

He's on my short list. :D I think his voice will get a little bit deeper as he gets older, but for the most part, it is what it is.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, it just doesn't feel like the same character from TOS and the movies. Certainly Spock never struck me as an emo who roid rages every time a Yo mama joke gets told as he was portrayed in the movie. The other half of the time he was almost cocky which struck me as uncharacteristic too.

I found have found the Quinto Spock an interesting character in his own rights if he was playing someone else, but as Spock he just seems a watered down version at best.

15. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Leonard Nimoy as Spock Prime was one of the best parts of Star Trek XI. I'd say the torch passing was effective.

16. R. Star

It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Well there was a 130 year age gap there. I know 20 year old BillJ and the 40 year old one are two distinct people. :shrug:

18. R. Star

I just said it illustrated the difference between the two characters to have them both on screen together. ST09 and TOS weren't a 130 years apart in their years set. It would be what? 10 years at best. You can defend the differences between Shatner and Pike's versions of Kirk given the daddy issues growing up(even though dad was so important prime Kirk never once mentioned him), but by all accounts both Spocks should have had the same childhood.

20 year old R. Star and 30 year old R. Star while not exactly the same are still going to have the same core characteristics.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

And they are not exactly the same, but what they are reacting to is not exactly the same either. One Spock is reacting to the destruction of Vulcan that was caused, in part, by some of his actions, or inactions as it is. Since Nero chased him into the black hole he was pulled into, he literally brought him there to destroy a world in a reality that had nothing to do with what went down in his own. The other Spock is reacting to some crazed villain out of "nowhere" that just comes along and destroys everything, taking his mother along with. He's also reacting to a cheating, insubordinate, purposefully obnoxious and taunting Kirk right after all of that happened. I know that TOS Spock had it together and all, but you really can't say for sure how he would have responded if the tables had been turned. He probably would have lost it a little too, but then Kirk would have been supportive of him and not an ass, so, there might be your difference. All in all, it was for the good, though.

Yes, but you are comparing yourself to yourself in the same timeline; that's not the case with this film. Also, I think they do have some of the same core characteristics, but we didn't get to see them as much as I suspect we will because of the series of events were so out of the ordinary. TOS was about meeting strange new worlds, yes, but this movie was about twisting and mixing things into what became a strange new reality for a while. My guess is things will simmer down on that front so that the mission of exploration and possibly encountering threats indigenous to this new reality will take center stage in the next film.

It wasn't "every time" a "Yo mamma joke" was told, just the 35th time. And even then, you were dealing with a little boy who was being bullied by the Vulcan equivalent of a gang of thugs. Even a Vulcan can only take so much.

I don't think he was cocky, just slightly irritated with Kirk and his methods, which included a blatant disregard for authority and rules. Nimoy's Spock never had to deal with that to my knowledge. From what I can tell, TOS didn't bring up some of these scenarios for a true comparison, FWIW.

20. R. Star

^

First of all NuSpock and Spock Prime by all accounts should have lived nearly the same lives up until Kirk's academy days. There's no reason the Kelvin's destruction is going to effect his childhood and birth on Vulcan at all. Kirk definitely has a different childhood, the whole car theft thing seeming to be a daddy issue, but both Spocks grew up on Vulcan and by all accounts had similar careers until they met Kirk. So the new timeline really shouldn't have effected Spock's core behavior that much.

As I said, I was citing that example of how the two different characters demonstrate emotion as a relevant contrast being the occur 15 minutes apart in the movie. They're not the same situation, but can you honestly picture Nimoy's Spock raging like an emo teen like that? Or that cocky smirk and open irritation? They're not that far moved apart. It took NuKirk all of ten seconds to provoke Spock into attacking him. In TOS McCoy was baiting Spock for the whole series and never got a rise out of him.

As I said, if Quinto's potrayal of a half Vulcan was a different character, he would be interesting and compelling. But by all accounts he just doesn't act like Spock did in TOS. So I'm not really sold on the new character. If you enjoy him, that's your privilege but I really think it just takes something away from the original by pretending to be genuine when it isn't.