The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, that's really funny because when they had their takeout Chinese dinner, I commented that that's what Cliff used to always get. I forgot all about it though by the time of the big reveal though.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meanwhile what's this shit about how extras off camera found a cloud drive that saved the day but Bobby gets to be the hero becuase he paid their wages?

And fuck me, but JR giving a deposition would have been awesome.

"Excuse me, clear the room, my pappy always taught me that it's poughlight to diddle the stenography when yar finished for the day."

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Not by blood though.

Christopher's parents were Kristin Shephard (Sue Ellen's sister) and Jeff Faraday. Rebecca's are Cliff and some other woman. (Afton? Mandy Winger? Jamie Ewing?)

4. doubleohfive

Not true. In the final season of the show, one of the season long mysteries involved the murder of John "Johnny Dancer" Danziger. Carter McKay initially gets blamed, goes to court and then jail, but finds out later it was all Cliff, who we learn killed Danziger by accident and then fled the scene of the crime. Because the Justice Department botched it up so badly, they basically let Cliff off the hook, but he lost out on a chance to be the next federal energy czar.

I immediately thought of Cliff's proclivity for Chinese take-out, but didn't even think to make the connection that she was his daughter.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Got that. I did say "almost as bad..." :)

6. doubleohfive

If Rebecca does turn out to be Afton Cooper's daughter, it will muddy the family tree even further:

Afton's brother Mitch is/was? married to Lucy, so that would make Rebecca not only Christopher's cousin, but simultaneously make her Lucy's cousin and niece.

Of Lucy's three appearances this season, she's not once mentioned Mitch nor her own marital status, so it's entirely possible they got (another) divorce, but also just as likely they're still married.

I can't wait for season two!

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great ending, even if too much of the resolution was through the efforts of offscreen Ewing minions. I really hope this means Rebecca (or whatever her real name is, I'm voting for Afton Jr) is going to evolve from the boo hoo queen of the show into the scheming vixen that this show desperately needs. But I doubt the writers will rescind her love for Chris, so she'll be a vixen with a heart of gold. that works.

For those who remember the old show better than I do, what is the plausibility factor for Cliff having a daughter about the same age maybe a little younger than Christopher and John Ross, that nobody ever knew abou?

8. doubleohfive

Here's another possibility - Rebecca could be Cliff's daughter by Michelle Stevens (April's sister). Cliff tricked her into marrying him at the end of the original series in order to get control of Ewing Oil (which he succeeded in doing), and even though she wound up not going to jail for killing Hilary Taylor, nothing was done (at least, on screen) to indicate she divorced him.

The last time we saw Michelle, she was moving in to Carter McKay's house (which had previously been Ray and Jenna's house) built on the Southfork land Jock gave to Ray.

Is it possible Cliff somehow made amends with Michelle (who ended her run on the series spurned by James choosing Deborah Lynn over her) and thus getting back together with Cliff in order to help him finally screw over the Ewings?

Even more fun to consider: if Rebecca is Michelle's daughter, Chris would still have married someone who would have otherwise been his cousin! :lol:

9. Temis the Vorta

The original series ended about 20 years ago, but Faux-becca couldn't be that young so her childhood must overlap the show's run at the end. Did Cliff drop out of the picture towards the end? I really only watched a couple years in the 80s. I don't even remember the boys being children on the show.

Spoiler coded in case what I found is a recent update:

In desperation, I have turned to Wikipedia. :D
    Which lists a "Pamela Rebecca Cooper" as Cliff and Afton's daughter. Was that character previously established? and how messed up will Chris be to find out his ex wife was named after his mom! ugh! John Ross will never let him hear the end of that. :rommie:

10. doubleohfive

^^ Pamela Rebecca Cooper was Cliff's daughter, by Afton, in the first reunion movie, "J.R. Returns," and a wholly different character who was never seen again. Though (and I can't recall specifically at the moment) I have a feeling that when Afton came back to the series (briefly) in the late '80s, it was hinted at/established that she did have a daughter and that Cliff was the father. The reunion movie, I think wound up picking up that thread and resolving it.

Since the reunion movies have been disregarded, I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ But since Pamela Rebecca was a teenager in that first movie, she'd be old enough to have been born during the original series.

Afton left the series for quite a while, so who knows? Plus she's rumored to be returning.

That's if they decide to keep "Pamela Rebecca" as Cliff & Afton's daughter and not make the character Cliff's & someone else's, like others have speculated.

12. Temis the Vorta

If Pamela Rebecca were being reintroduced into the series, how old would she be? And has she ever met any of the Ewings as a teen or older? I could see the producers deciding to borrow selectively from the reunion movies even tho they seem to be roundly despised.

Star Trek movies and TV sometimes makes use of elements from books even though they are non canon, selectively choosing only the elements they want to retain.

If something similar is happening here, that means that if Chris has met Cousin Pam, and should recognize her later because they were in their teens, that element might be tossed out and the character name kept.

13. doubleohfive

Well, Christopher, John Ross, Bobby, Sue Ellen, and J.R. all met Pamela Rebecca Cooper in "J.R. Returns." Christopher and John Ross in particular spent most of their time in the film with her. They'd all remember her.

14. Temis the Vorta

15. doubleohfive

Well keep in mind also that Cliff, Pam and Katherine's mother's name was Rebecca. So either way if they pseudo-reference the reunion movie/keep that bit or not, it is still within perfectly acceptable reason that he would name his daughter (or Afton, if she's the mother) after Rebecca.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Cool. Sooner than I expected.

So what, 7 or 8 episodes, then a break?

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Sounds about right for cable seasons these days. Lets just hope we don't have to wait multiple years for a season three.

18. doubleohfive

Or it could just be a straight run of 15 episodes. Some shows do get orders like that, and honestly - I'd much prefer something like that. Then again, the old DALLAS was renowned for its jaw-dropping cliffhangers, so if they can come up with a really good one for Episode 206 I'd be happy.

19. Ar-Pharazon

^ "Who Did J.R. Shoot" ?

I'm a little surprised they showed us who got shot (Rebecca or Tommy). Unless they weren't sure about a second season when they were filming that episode.

The last 1st season episode seemed like more of a set-up for a potential next season.

20. doubleohfive

:lol: I know he's held various characters at gunpoint, most notably Clayton Farlow. Typically though, people point their guns at J.R. and some shoot him! (Kristin and Sue Ellen come to mind...)

Well, they finished shooting the first season last year; the show didn't get picked up for a second season until a few weeks ago, so its entirely possible that's the reason.

This early on, it only makes sense to wrap up your storyline (in case you get axed) but also plant as many seeds as possible to mine next season (if you get picked up.) :)