Looks like Netflix is interested in making a New Star Trek Show

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Overlord, Jun 20, 2014.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

3. RunawayStarShip

RunawayStarShip Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, the Mstarz article uses that exact post on Mr. Nemecek's blog as its source:

Now, from CBS' perspective, the fact that existing Star Trek is a top draw on Netflix is probably more incentive to continue on to remastering Deep Space Nine and Voyager after the completion of TNG HD than to shell out even more money on a new show (in addition to their remastering efforts).

Even then, after the remastering effort is over, CBS could probably still keep making money by just licensing their existing stuff. There is almost no incentive for CBS to make a new series unless Netflix is willing to pay for it... which will probably never happen.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It seems like a remastering of DS9 is not on tap after TNG. At least, not immediately.

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Netflix does not even have TNG in HD, whereas Hulu has Season 1 and 2 in HD, and Amazon has seasons 1-5 in HD.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Netflix does pay for its original content (http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...s-netflix-paying-to-produce-original-sho.aspx). I'm unsure how they've handled new seasons of established shows (such as Arrested Development), but I'd imagine the costs would be split between Netflix and CBS, if Netflix were to ever create a new Trek show.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

An issue would likely be who would own the new show. I can't see CBS wanting to split ownership of it (and future licensing rights) with someone else. That doesn't mean a new show can't air on Netflix like previous ones, but they'd probably get far less out of producing a new one than CBS will, IMO...

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

CBS owns the show completely, there will never ever be in co-owning or any thing like that. Netflix would be paying for broadcast (streaming) rights. It a question of how much they can get from Netflix for those rights to help offset production costs.

This scenario does give CBS more of an incentive to make a Star Trek show for 2 reasons.

- Broadcast outlet, they can never have a Star Trek show on CBS it's self because the rating expectation is way to high and the show would get crushed, of there own networks the CW is an option and some possible cable networks.

- COST!!, as mentioned above getting licensing fees from a channel CBS does not own will help offset production costs.

9. C.E. Evans

Which is why I said "I can't see CBS wanting to split ownership of it..."
    Probably not enough to actually do so, IMO. Such a deal would benefit CBS more than Netflix. Netflix would be better off not being involved in the actual production of the show and simply be an outlet for it.
    :confused:

The CBS Television Network just doesn't need a new Trek series. That wasn't the case with the former Paramount Television back in the '80s and '90s, which is why we got TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT.

I think the odds of a new Trek series on the CW are kind of slim unless it can be made relatively inexpensively and can be targeted mostly towards teens/young adults, it's key demographic.

Cable is a viable option for a new Trek show, IMO, especially in a case of a cable network just having a broadcasting agreement to air it, but CBS Studios being the one that produces and fully owns it.

10. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Baffling that a new show doesnt come out. So many fans want this.

Someone needs to be broken off.

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fans that want it are a rounding error compared to what is needed to make the show profitable.

12. The Colonel

The Colonel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Good point about the difference between CBS/Paramount. UPN was a fledgling network that relied on Star Trek as its flagship series. Paramount kept pushing Berman and Co to make more Trek and they wanted to play it safe by trying to clone TNG which was a huge success. So we wound up with VOY which promptly dumped its premise and became TNG lite and ENT which did the same thing for 2 seasons until the threat of cancellation made them desperately change things up.

As for the odds of a new Trek series... It will happen eventually the franchise is too much of a cash cow to ignore forever. But, I think CBS is happy raking it in on Blu Ray sales and other merchandise right now and they probably don't want to compete or conflict with the new movies. Its hard to say what will happen after the next movie. Everything seems to point to it being the last in the series.

13. Mrcasio

Mrcasio Lieutenant Red Shirt

The fan made "Shows" on youtube are a lot better then anything a network or netflixs could make. someone should just throw some money at one of them and bring there casts and writers to Tv or netflixs

14. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Said show could be a Starfleet Academy show, or just a show with a young crew (captain late '20's, early '30's rest of crew following suit and being in their mid to late 20's, early 30's) much like the current Star Trek movies.

15. C.E. Evans

I think such show would more likely be a teenage drama probably closer in spirit to CTV's Degrassi, except set at Starfleet Academy rather than a high school.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Which would put a stake in the heart of the franchise. They need to go much younger in order to rebuild an aging fanbase.

17. C.E. Evans

I agree. Less young love & angst and more action & adventure (with some food for thought now and then).

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The same could be said about a lot of things, maybe most things, that "the fans want."

19. Pupp

Pupp Ensign Newbie

I'm collecting Star Trek:TNG blu-ray seasons. If Deep Space 9 comes out in Blu Ray, I'll collect those also, even if I do get Netflix. Same for Voyager if it's ever remastered.

Won't collect Star Trek:TOS or Star Trek Enterprise as blu ray's though. I loved watching TOS as reruns as a kid, but time isn't kind to a show that came out in the 60's.
    That being said, I do read books and novels set in the ToS universe. Last novel I read in fact was ToS: Spock Must Die!, which I thought was pretty damn good for something I found at a random garage sale for a dime.

In fact, I read Star Trek novels of all kinds. I hear there's over 600 Star Trek novels to date. Which means there's a story somewhere out there I just HAVE TO READ!!

Actually reading a Forgotten Realms novel at the moment though. :guffaw:

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I will never understand this kind of thinking. Part of the fun of watching TOS is the very fact it's a 60's show made with 60's production values and 60's sensibilities - even though it was ahead of its time in many ways. Time has made TOS a treasure IMHO.

I don't know how old you are, but what's your "cut-off" point? Are 70's/80's shows OK? You're watching TNG, but that's looking every bit as dated as TOS for different reasons to my eye.