Star Trek video cassettes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mattuse, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Mattuse

Mattuse Guest

Hi all I was wondering if anyone can help me with a question. I have been passed down a heap of Star Trek videos and they are brand new never been played 1967 &1968 collector edition series videos and a few other things that are Star Trek original merchandise from the same era does anyone know what they would be worth or should I just keep them for myself but I don't want to play them because they never have been before. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Kind Regards.
    Mattuse.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Hate to disappoint you, but my understanding is that in the age of DVD and Blu Ray (TNG is available on DVD and is being released on Blu Ray) and digital and essentially longer-lasting media, tapes just aren't worth a heck of a lot to anyone.

3. Mattuse

Mattuse Guest

Thanks again for your input

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

You're about twenty years too late.

You might get a couple dollars a piece on Ebay if you're lucky.

5. Mattuse

Mattuse Guest

I hate to disappoint as well but you seem a little under the scope of the art of true collectivist ,I'm a collector of many rare and valued items so I am sorry to say but it's not the picture quality that a collector is looking for when purchasing it's the packaging and cleanliness of the item that is compared with other such items. Thanks for your time and quick response, it is much appreciated.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

But they aren't in any way "rare". Paramount pumped those things out by the tens of thousands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-...tion-/331032846608?pt=VHS&hash=item4d13186110

That person will never get $5 for that tape.

7. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

Then keep them for yourself. I'm sure they'll make nice bookends.

8. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I just packed up my old Trek tapes and donated them to a school that gets $$$ for items donated like books, CD's, video tapes, etc. I assume they just recycle them, but at least I know it's money for them and it's going to a good cause.

9. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, not to be snarky, but you could put them to use like Tom Hanks did in Cast Away.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Since you're in Australia, these are either the ghastly Hollywood House videos of random episodes (mid 80s), or the CIC-Taft series of videos that used the UK artwork and masters (late 80s)? They will probably be PAL and not compatible with VCRs in the US.

Collectors collect for many reasons. ;)