"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Bond's wife Tracy was alluded also alluded to in The Spy Who Loved Me and Bond visited her grave in the opening sequnce of For Your Eyes Only.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Something I forgot to ask... Bane hooked up that scientist for some sort of blood transfusion while they were in the plane. What was that all about?

3. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

I think it was so that the recovery crew would find the fake corpse, take a blood sample and conclude that it was the scientist who died.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What exactly is it about this trilogy that you want to be continued? You replace Bale and Nolan, and highly probably Freeman, Caine and Oldman. So what's left of the Nolan trilogy that would make it still better than a fresh reboot?

Not sure if that would actually work, but yes, that was the point of the scene.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not having to sit through yet another origin story?

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Leaving aside the fact that you don't have to sit through anything, we apparently don't need origin stories for James Bond or Sherlock Holmes, so I'm sure we don't need one for Batman.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I'm guessing that WB will be looking at the reception The Amazing Spider-man has received. While it's done well (if not amazingly well) commercially and critically, the main gripe with it has been 'another origin story so soon?' So while I do expect the next Batman movie to be a reboot, I'm guessing that they'll bypass the origin, perhaps showing it in flashback like, well, Batman (1989).

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

You'd still get another origin story even if you kept this thing going, you'd just get a Nightwing origin story...

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was a Nightwing origin.

The Dark Knight from the title of the movie is not Bruce.

It's Blake.

Bruce fell.

Blake rose.

Rised?

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman 89 did just fine without doing an origin--other than the brief dream flashback to the Wayne's murder.

And The Incredible Hulk dealt with the origin during the opening credits.

11. sojourner

Yet that's just what we got with the last pair of Sherlock Holmes and 2 Bond movies.

They're not the best examples anyway. Origin stories seem to be much more common when dealing with superhero movies than other genres.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's probably because filmmakers feel a need to explain why the heroes can fly or walk through walls. :)

With a spy or detective, less explanation is required since spies and detectives exist in real life.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

While it's not going to lose any money it's going to finish WW below even the lowest Rami film with inflation and 3-D. It's not yet to $700m WW and it's already seriously tapering off domestically at just over it's production budget.
    I'm not prone to call that successful reboot when looking at the ledger balance in perspective.

The origin from the '89 film, which I still love as a Batman film over the Nolan films, should be the way they go next time. Batman is just such a backseat secondary character in his own films with Nolan that I'll be glad to get back to having Batman as the star of a Batman film.

14. sojourner

This is funny considering at the time that one of the biggest complaints about the Burton films was that Batman took a backseat in the movies to the villains.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I take another view. We see just enough of Bruce as Batman to really appreciate it as opposed to seeing him too much where it's just more of same-old-same-old.

16. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The RDJ Sherlock Holmes movies aren't an origin. The first film opens with Holmes and Watson an established duo and Watson contemplating retirement.
    I don't know how you could argue that. The Burton films were totally about the villains. Nolan's first movie was so revolutionary because Bruce was actually the centre of the movie; the later two had larger casts, but were still far more about Bruce than any of the previous Batman movies.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I really honestly think that if they made a new Batman film in a new universe with a new actor and just start out with him as Batman doing the usual thing people would understand. Batman is a part of the public consciousness.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Also, seeing Bruce in a Batman costume is cool for a little while but after a bit it starts to look dumb because it's a man running around in a bat suit. You can get away with that in a comic but not as much in a film.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course they would, people are not stupid.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Agreed. But Hollywood suits on the other hand, well...

Next year we'll get Man Of Steel and guaranteed another origin story even though practically everyone on the planet knows Superman's story.