GPS tries to kill Massachusetts woman

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ar-Pharazon, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Story

Just when I thought the only people this stupid were on TV.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unQJNB_8HiI[/YT]

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is what happens when people blindly follow machines, instead of using Common Sense.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

If you're that stupid, you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Especially with kids along for the ride.

I mean, if people want to thin themselves out of the herd via Darwinism, that's fine. But don't drag your kids into it.

5. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

what is this common sense you speak of/

i kid i kid, this is not the first instance of gps doing this sort of thing, it would seem stupid will always be stupid and ripe for the killing by Darwin.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the whole point of Darwinism would kind or require the kids to die as well on account of them carrying the 'derp' genes in question...

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

The article is a little unclear. Was it instructing her to cross the tracks and for some reason her car got stuck? There are plenty of railroad crossings that don't have the arms that come down, but it doesn't look like a proper crossing from the pictures. If it was a rural area it could be more difficult to tell, possibly.

She doesn't sound like a complete idiot. I mean, she realized her mistake, realized she was stuck, and got out of there with her kids. Making a mistake doesn't mean she deserves to die.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

cars have got stuck on normal rail crossings plenty of times without any gps involved.

and Darwinism? As she had the sense to get out does that make her DarWinning?

9. Yoda

The whole point is she turned onto the tracks.. The train hit the car head on. Presumably the GPS was telling her to take a right onto the road past the railroad tracks or something.

[​IMG]

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sat Navs are a driving aid nothing more, it's not the sat navs fault you turned onto a railway track. It's the drivers fault. The GPS might have have had you several metre's away from your actually location.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's not totally her fault. She ordered KITT, but they sent her KARR, the evil one, instead.

[​IMG]

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Maybe there was a problem with the AE-35 unit?

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Dave and Frank need to fix or replace the AE-35 unit then.

14. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

The fuck I need a GPS for? I got a map!

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    While that GPS made some poor decisions, lately, I'm sure it has the greatest enthusiasm for its mission.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I've used a sat-nav for when I was a field employee and I might be in a different location every day/week. It was a useful tool to find a specific location in a place I had never been. But I sill looked at road signs and checked if I could turn down a road, it might have changed since the sat-nav map I was using.

And I'm sure it enjoyed working with humans, and would continue to do so even if sperated by great distances. :p

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dave....my GPS is going. I can feel it. Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do...

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I have had several people get wrong directions to my place of work, then argue with me about what was there.

"Can't you see the sign, lady?"

Carto craft used to make such nice mapbooks too.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm with you on this. The article is unclear about a few things. Just because she followed the GPS's directions doesn't mean she's an idiot. The fact that she was using GPS at all suggests that she was unfamiliar with the area; how was she supposed to know that she was going to be crossing an uncrossable railroad track?

People calling her an idiot are acting like they've never made a wrong turn before. At least she had the sense to get everybody out of the car.

20. Yoda

What uncrossable track? :confused: It's a perfectly normal crossing. Where the tracks sink into the road... and there are arms and and lights and signs and everything. Look at the picture. A GI Joe toy could drive through it. She turned onto the tracks as if they were a road. That's why she got stuck.