The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Exactly. And although I don't think this is going to happen for a very long time if at all, they could still set future movies and TV series in the original Roddenberry/Berman timeline.

2. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Hence my assumption that at the time of the attack, the Kelvin was due to return home. But if Winona had actually gone into labour prior to the attack....uh oh :wtf: How can Kirk ever have said he was born in Iowa if he was always destined to be born on the Kelvin? BLOOPER ALERT!!

3. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Oh, indeed, so am I. If it were up to some of the fans on this forum, we would go back to this....

[​IMG]

Spare me unbounded nostalgia. I'll take change that adjusts with the moviegoing public, despite the apparent flaws in the writing. I'll be going to the movie tonight. Back with a grade when I see it.

4. The Habs Fan

This is the problem: BTTF. The writers of Star Trek chose the more scientific approach to time travel which involves quantum mechanics and alternate timelines, not slowly fading away from pictures.

5. Wesser

Wesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, I point I can offer is that TNG was never TOS. I was as jacked as any Trek fan when "we finally won" and TNG made it to the air. But it wasn't long, before I was bored with it.
    This show was/is about the characters, as far as I'm concerned. The big 3 of TOS hasn't been "copied" or improved upon no matter how many Picards and Rikers you create. And don't even get me going on the Sisco's, Janeways and Archers of the world.

6. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

So is Winona already in child labour when the Narada attacks the Kelvin?

7. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Glen Larson is in talks to create a BSG movie based on the original series rather than the superior reimagining, and they were going to do a Stargate sequel with Roland Emmerich which ignored the SG1 continuity, so they could theoretically do a series which carried on in the timeline that this movie branched off from. It might suit Paramount and CBS from a royalties sense to do this.

That said, I'm pretty much past caring...

With all the stuff going on around her it appears she's uninjured apart from giving birth, so I would say yes. There's not much indication she was forced into premature labour, so you could go with that interpretation.

8. The Habs Fan

And the funny thing is, both BSG and Stargate were rebooted or retconned, but the writers of Star Trek XI went out of their way to make this an alternative timeline where the original still exists.

9. Wesser

I 2nd this. Lets have some fun in the TOS era. They've skirted it for 15 years and 4 series.
    Hell, pick one of the other 11 constitution class ships of that era and set it during THEIR 5 year mission. Matt Decker was presented as a great StarShip Capt. until the DD machine. Or Ron Tracy. Oh wait. The young hero who falls into revenge and darkness has bee done already too.

10. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Doesn't The Deadly Years specifically state James Kirk to have been born in Iowa? What are we supposed to do now, mentally dub that line over with "USS Kelvin, sector wherever-the-heck-it's-supposed-to-be"?

And how the heck can there be two planets called Delta Vega?!

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given Trek's long history of time travel and dimension jumping even if you have a show set in the Abramsverse the crew can still have an adventure or two in the original timeline. Who knows saybe the MU will be replaced with the OT (Original Timeline) as the new hot spot for Starfleet crews to blunder into and have zany adventures with (slightly) different versions of themselves. Then after a few episodes we can then bitch about how lame the OT is and they should stop visiting it.

12. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Perhaps Narada's attack made Winona Kirk go into early labor and Jim was born before he would've been born in the original timeline.

The same way there can be Paris, France and Paris, Texas? :guffaw:

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

How many "Springfields" are in the U.S? For that matter, how many "New Yorks" are in the U.K? :lol:

Whatever was said in "The Deadly Years" isn't a problem for me, because I just don't care. I can watch the episode and listen to them say that Kirk was born in Iowa (if they do, I don't remember) and then watch this movie and enjoy both and just not give a fuck that they contradict one another.

14. Wesser

I think I just heard 32 fanboys gasp for air and crash to the floor. How dare you JUST ENJOY Star Trek!:lol:

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

But why use the name Delta Vega? Just use another one. That sort of thing just strikes me as inherent laziness and ineptitude on the writers behalf (not that that sort of error is alone to this movie in the Trek universe at all, but the point stands)

And was it even meant to be in the Vulcan system? How the hell did Spock see it in the sky looking bigger than our own moon does if not?

16. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Have to agree. Now, why didn't they maroon him on T'Kuht...

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a very silly weasel clause - because yes, most of the fannish critiques of the film so far come down to the kinds of details that they choose to forgive when they like a Trek episode and condemn when they don't.

And that's fine, as long as everyone understands that this means the "naive aesthetic response" of liking or disliking the film comes first and the reasons are invented after the fact.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/30/interview-roberto-orci-alex-kurtzman/

19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Or Rigels in Star Trek?

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

That just supports my own personal "not canon" view. Might as well slap in a Kazon at Starfleet Academy, or a planet called Bolarus full of Bajorans. That'd be a wink to the fans I suppose, and it would make as much sense.
    Kinda like "Admiral" Archer still being alive at the time. Just an illogical reference, that yes you can say "oh well there's just more than one Delta Vega, Archer's just the oldest man ever, there's more than one planet called Bolarus, Kazon just look the same as another Alpha Quadrant species..." but you shoudln't have to. It's just a crummy lazy reference

I do have a lot of wiggles and niggles about the timeline and aspects of the film, etc
    But what it came down to for me on a personal level was I just found it boring and not particular enjoyable to watch.

That's my two cents, think I'll leave it at that. Cheers