Braga: "Archer was supposed to be Future Guy"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Michael, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Anyone could have thought it up or agreed wholeheartedly to it. The fact that you specifically brought up Ron Moore simply to bad-mouth him, shows that you have an unsubstantiated beef with him which has nothing to do with this topic.

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I want whatever you're smoking.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I pepper ground up children into my hookah.

4. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

The point of this post is that not everybody agrees with it and thinks he just pulled it out of his ass like recently too.
    I think it would have been great if developed right, but that's 20/20 hindsight.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you suppose Braga is kicking himself he didn't think this up in Season 1?

Imagine if WE knew all along and so did Daniels but not the NX-01 crew. Would have made Archer a lot more interesting, something to actually nut out. How did Mr. Water Polo end up there?!

6. Guy Gardener

You really don't pay attention.

Mr. Scot lost his doggy.

A litre of red matter later, and John has up ended the universe to add a couple months to the life expectancy of a creature that barely only lives for just 9 years.

(Something Kathryn Janeway did almost every week for three years.)

7. teacake

Hey at least Kes didn't pee on any trees.. at least not literally.

8. Guy Gardener

Neelix didn't mind when she marked her territory.

9. teacake

Oh I think he minded rather a lot when she started peeing experimentally on Tom..

10. Guy Gardener

Neelix covered Tom in his sauce and then they were even.

11. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Wouldn't surprise me. And then we'd have had another "B5 vs Trek" blood bath wherein folks would scream he *lifted* that from Cmdr. Sinclair's arc in Babyloony 5. So thank God for small favors in averting that from happening. :lol:

12. teacake

But now you've said it, so it's happened.

I'll start the rejection of your accusations of murderous plagiarism ball rolling..

Comparing Future Guy to the Prophet Valen is SO unfair! Future Guy is just some jerk, probably someone's puppet. Archer as Future Guy is a tragedy that season 5 must redeem Archer from. Something has gone wrong and has to be fixed.

Sinclair's story is one of destiny blah blah..

13. Guy Gardener

Predestiny.

14. teacake

I sit corrected.

15. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

To which the classic counter would simply be:

Well, Braga was obviously reversing the polarity of the standard neo-classical trapezoidal dramatic paradigm. Blah, blah, blah ...

That, I believe, is check-and-mate. :techman:

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

That's insane.

You know damn well Braga's the kind of guy who brings a laptop in there with him.

17. Guy Gardener

As with what they did with Admiral Janeway changing the past to make her personal universe better... Notice how the infinitely superior story is TNG Tapestry (Written by Ronald D Moore.)where Picard realises that he is who he is because he used to be an asshole and that to remove the ass from his character just leaves a hole...

I was working towards a fucking point. What the fuck was it?

Oh, that's right.

Here's the bitchy thing.

Young Archer confronts Old Archer and Young Archer outwits and out reasons old Archer into changing his mind and realizing that his choices were buthurt and wrong (Like how Janeway convinced Ransom he was wrong, or Captain Janeway convinced Admiral Janeway that he was wrong) and that he has to now reign in his master-plan after it's been revealed as balls by a complete and utter fucking child.

Or Young Archer kills old Archer like Picard did in Time Squared or how Picard ate the other other Picard trapped in that rock fall while waiting to be rescued in Generations... I mean, how is it possible that Future Guy can TEACH Young Archer to follow in his traditions and examples as destinies bitch if he has no consistency to follow through just because his plan is bunk a kid can poke holes through?

I asked Teacake the same question a month ago... "Is you from 20 years ago smart enough to give you from now advice on anything? Admit it, you from 20 years ago was a moron compared to you from now. Everyone from 20 years ago is a moron compared to themselves now."

This is almost happening in X-Men Comics.

Beast time travelled and he's brought the classic Original team form the 1960s into the present to stop (which was Marty McFly's fear) their older selves from being complete assholes who are propagating a new Mutant genocide.

Favourite lines so far... (Young Cyclops in a convenience store) "Why are you selling bottled water? Is there something wrong with the water? TELL ME! IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE WATER!?"

And... (the full team on Broadway in New York gawking at the signage) "So everything is an advertisement now?"

The Daleks accounted their constant losses to a lack of purity a few years back, and got some ancient DNA back from when they were awesome and replaced their entire species with a new civilization of conquerors based on a earlier genetic template and psyche profile that actually knew how to exterminate vermin and then strip mine a planet without tripping over their own plungers.

Barney Stinsen "NEW is always BETTER!"

How far down the line is Old Archer supposed to be?

And as soon as Daniels sees the connection will he take a phase pistol to Young Acher's face and unload a charge?

18. teacake

This is Braga we're talking about not Tarantino.

19. teacake

To answer Guy, I suspect old Archer would see in young Archer the idealism and moral certitude that he had left behind by making bad choices and all his pain and regret would overwhelm him as he came face to face with the pure goodness that was his (relative) youth. Then of course he would immediately do the right thing, whatever that was and it would all end with..

Old Archer: Just for once... let me look on you with my own eyes.

Old Archer steps out of the time stream and stares at into young Archer's face, his own face alight with recognition and wonder. And then, because he's removed himself from the time stream thingie he collapses and dies.

Free at last, free at last..

And young Archer would be full of feelings and stuff about the need to hold on to one's true purpose because none of us are safe from slippery slopes that could lead us into time manipulations for personal power. None of us.

20. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Future Guy is Fry...
    I like the idea of Chef being Future Guy!
    Worst idea for Future Guy: Neelix
    Best Idea for Future Guy: Q