Generations was...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Johnny, May 17, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Poor OP!

I enjoyed Generations, and I always praise the score any chance I get.

2. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Understood!

Would really like to know what you think about scores like that from Apollo 13. Btw by James Horner, who did the music for the third Trek movie. Lot of melody, epic themes and some variyng arrangments with a lot of "exploration"-feel ... then dreamy-nostalgic notes and choires, in the soft parts...

3. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I'm afraid it has been too long since I saw Apollo 13. I don't remember what the score sounded like.

4. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

5. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Was,... Garbage

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sure Generations had a decent sound track, and some of it's cinematography was nice. Shame about the plot.

I'm not against the Ent-D being destroyed, but by an obsolete BoP it should have been a curb stomp battle a full spread of torpedeos and phaser should have beaten it.

The death of Kirk, once again not opposed to Kirk dying but like the Ent-D it was poorly handled. The first death of Kirk onboard the Ent-B was done better.

And the biggest gapping plot hole, the nexus can take you to any point in time and space apparently, they could have goe back to say the Armagosa Array and stopped Soran there.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think what makes the BoP battle so lame is the way it was done. Rigging Geordi's VISOR up with a pinhole camera and reading the Enterprise's shield frequencies is just such a stupid plot device, not least because the actual destruction of the ship almost happens as a random afterthought when Riker has already blown the BoP out of existence.

Far more satisfying (although possibly overegging the plot) would be to have focused a bit more on integrating the Duras sisters into the framework of the movie more. Have their attack on Armagosa be because they're trying to build some Big Ass Top Secret Muthaf**king Super Weapon for which they need copious amounts of Trilithium, and while Soran is using them to his own means by co-operating with their plot, they do manage to get the weapon operational. And said weapon is capable of punching through the Enterprise shields.

Or maybe, I dunno, eliminate the Duras sisters from the plot altogether. Isn't it enough for Soran's supernova causing missile to destroy the ship? Instead of having it blow up on the planet's surface, have it miss the Veridian sun and hit the Enterprise instead. Although they could potentially make Picard look like a douchebag.

I give up. Generations is unfixable. :lol:

8. Dantrek

Dantrek Ensign Red Shirt

The score was good but the movie sucked. It was too rushed, they should have waited 2 years after the show went off the air to make a motion picture. It would have given the writers more time to some up with a decent movie. The death of Kirk was totally unnecessary. Kirks death should have been way more epic. I didn't see the point of killing him to begin with. I hated seeing the Enterprise D destroyed. It should have just been refitted. I think ships are better when they have some age and history and the Enterprise D did. It may not have been the best design but it was familiar.

9. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

Here here! :bolian:

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

They should have eliminated Kirk from the plot altogether.

11. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

...full of holes.

12. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

This was my five minute idea for a better movie.

13. Lance

I don't disagree. :)

The video game adaptation actually had two endings: one which follows the events of the movie, complete with Veridian III, Captain Kirk's death and the destruction of the Enterprise. But there's also a second ending to the game, where Soran is located before getting to Veridian III. In the later ending the Enterprise engages Soran's ship in battle, and if you win the battle then Soran chooses to set his ship to self-destruct. Naturally this does eliminate Kirk from the plot entirely (in this version he obviously never did leave the Nexus). This alternate ending also saves the Enterprise D.

14. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

Haha! So Kirk comes out of the ribbon, there's a lot of talking and scanning and very little doing, knocks everyone out, then re-enters the ribbon.... That's the next voyager episode sorted then! :p

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

As bad as "Generations" was, it could have been worse. We could have had holodeck James Kirk save the ship with Maury Hurley's screenplay.

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though I initially liked seeing the Duras sisters again, on subsequent viewings I felt they shouldn't have been used at all. Generations wasted them. I wish they had not used the Duras sisters and made them exclusive to DS9. I think their political machinations during the Federation-Klingon War and with the Dominion would've made for some interesting viewing.

I wish Generations had used the Ferengi instead, perhaps DaiMon Bok. To me it would've been a nice homage to TNG's first villains and I would've gotten to see a Ferengi Marauder on the big screen. I do think a Marauder is a more credible threat than an old Bird of Prey.

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Bite your tongue. The Enterprise-D was the best design of all the various Enterprises, and destroying it was the worst part of GENERATIONS. Even Kirk's death wasn't as stupid. I'm still dissapointed that Starfleet didn't give Picard an identical replacement the way they did with Kirk we he lost his first Enterprise. The Enterprise-E is easily the ugliest ship ever seen in Star Trek (with Voyager running a close second).

18. Lance

Agreed, Randy. And about the Enterprise E too. Interally and externally, I've never understood why people champion it. The Enterprise-D was a superior design in nearly every quantifiable way.

19. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

The Enterprise-E design would be OK-ish (well, tolerable) if it was meant to be a big sister of the Intrepid class or something like that. As an Enterprise... No. It's just a very mid '90s 'badass' design that isn't right for a peaceful exploration starship that the Enterprise lineage represents.

20. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. The TNG crew needed:
    1. Their own movie without any TOS interference. The TOS stuff felt shoehorned in and Kirk later in the film dying the way he did was a waste.
    2. At least a year or two between the show and film. Braga and Moore were trying to write both All Good Things and Generations at the same time. Had they been given more time, I'm pretty sure AGT would have been an even better series finale and Generations wouldn't have sucked.

I have to agree/disagree with you guys on the D/E.

Enterprise-D:
    Exterior: Looked ungainly and misshapen from too many angles.
    Interior: Looked too much like an 80's hotel lobby.

Enterprise-E:
    Exterior: Looked fast and scary from many angles.
    Interior: Here is where you get my agreement. E was too dark inside.