sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, um, are you writing the next Space Vixens book? Because I'd totally buy that.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I completely agree with both points. Ambiguous terms obfuscate rather than illuminate. And, more often than not, both the producers and the audience confuse success with quality-- in visual media, at least, the reverse is more likely to be true. :rommie:

3. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It sounds like the Cowboys and Aliens fiasco. Space Vixens? Talk about a common denominator. They loved Salieri too. Who knows what's going to sell as that is no indication of quality. The last TOS book by that new guy sounds horrible. I think it is becoming purposeful. spoil the water so the audience will beg for anything better. No offense, Greg, but your stories haven't sent me over the moon either. So political clout and style kicks the ass of quality and artistic and moral merit every time, huh? This is why I don't buy books or go to the movies anymore.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, I once wrote an Alias novel set at a Space Vixens convention. Does that count?

(It's been my default title for a hypothetical TV series ever since!)

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Karl Urban Set To Star In Fox’s J.H. Wyman/ J.J. Abrams Futuristic Drama Pilot

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^ In short if you're an actor it's good to know JJ because he's got a lot of gigs going right now. I wonder if any Trek actors will get any work in Wars?

7. Enterprise is Great

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great news about Urban! He'll play off Michael Ealy very well. That's definitely my favorite pilot of this skimpy season. JJ Abrams has a good track record having pilots go to series, so here's hoping it survives.

As for Billingsley, my condolences that he's stuck on some dumbass CBS cop series, although the job security is good. ;) CBS doesn't need many new shows this season, but that one looks like it has the star power to be a front-runner,

9. Enterprise is Great

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not sure if serious... no, scratch that. Not sure what you're talking about.

11. xortex

In this particular case, I'm not sure what I'm talking about either. I don't even own a tv and just listen to classical music on the radio. But,what was that line from 'The American President'? by Aaron Sorkin, 'They drink the sand because they don't know the difference'.
    There is one new Trek book by someone new that did sound interesting and I would/will buy it when I see it as it didn't sound derivative but rather crazily metaphysical like I like my Star Trek to be.

12. Temis the Vorta

Glen Mazzara is cooking up...something genre.

My dream series - The Shield set in outer space - may be coming closer to reality. :D I'd even go for a supernatural cop show with that kind of edge.

13. xortex

The Shield set in space is Riddick.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

:confused: I don't get that at all, what am I missing, assuming it's not a joke?

EDIT: Or does that have to do with the upcoming movie?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll admit I've never watched The Sheild, but I know about and based on that I have no idea what The Sheild has in common with the Riddick movies, both of which I have seen.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, they both center on tough bald guys of questionable morality. Beyond that, I dunno either.

17. xortex

Except that one is in space. It's true that Riddick doesn't work for anyone other than his own sense of justice but he's like a one man A-team in space, whereas the shield guy supposedly works for the good guys but is bad. The same just reversed slightly. Which means I guess it's not the same but close.

18. Temis the Vorta

The Shield isn't just about tough guys, it's also a twisty-turny show with a lot of terrific actors and fascinating characterization, plus it's outlandish, outrageous, over the top and sometimes funny...oh wait I just realized, I'm describing Farscape. Well okay I want another Farscape except you could do that with nothing but hew-mon characters in outer space.

Riddick and Vic Mackey are very different types, below that bald dome. Riddick is a sardonic loner while Vic is all about the pack.

I envision him as the alpha male of a wolf pack. Without his pack, he'd be utterly lost. He goes to insane lengths to keep his pack together, whether it's his family, the Strike Team or even trying to salvage the hellhole that is Farmington. Of the two types, Vic would be the more interesting as the lead character for a gritty space opera series.

Let's see, there was a reason I came back, oh yeah...John Cho has a guest role in Sleepy Hollow.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still don't see where they are even close.

20. xortex

Well then Firefly is similar enough then isn't it if you're looking for likable antiheroes. It's still a rip off of Blake's Seven though.