After BSG, B5, Firefly & Ds9... what's left?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Danoz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Serious question...

I'm in the middle of this very short (and awesome) Firefly series (no spoilers). What could possible be next? I've seen all the treks. I still have Farscape, Stargate (all of them), Lost, Dr. Who... What's up the alley of a new BSG, b5, Firefly and DS9 fan?

What's left? :(

With my fiancee abroad, I have my work, my friends for happy hour, my books, my guitar, my gym, and my sci-fi shows. Need some advice here on what's next :)

2. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Farscape

3. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Farscape, The Prisoner, Carnivale and MillenniuM.

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

There's also:

Buck Rogers 1979 series
    Earth 2
    SeaQuest.

5. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Getting a life. :guffaw:

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Gundam 00 and the UC series of the same franchise, I also recommend Blake's 7. Blake's 7 is old and doesn't have flashy special effects, and Gundam is animated, but if you are picky about old or animated stuff you shouldn't be whining about running out of shows to watch, an open mind is paramount.

7. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Farscape and Lost. Probably Lost is better show overall, but Farscape is pretty unique Sci-Fi and very well done. That being said, Lost's main story may end up rivaling Bab5's amazing arc.

Stargate's are sort of mundane and nothing exceptional but they'll allow to pass the time reasonably well and may even occasionally throw in a surprise or two (though I wouldn't count on many)

Dr. Who I haven't seen.

"Heros" is pretty good.

Angel & Buffy are both excellent of course with Angel typically appealing to the Bab5/DS9 crowd more so than Buffy. Of course, if you watch Angel (and you really should), you need to watch Seasons 1-3 of Buffy first, then watch Buffy Season 4 and Angel Season 1 together, then finish one of the series straight out and then the other one.

Highlander the series is pretty good though not quite as good as your Firefly's and DS9's.

Dead Like Me is a nice short somewhat sci-fi'ish show (though those aspects aren't really the focus).

8. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No love for 'Jericho'? My favorite series that only had two seasons. :(

I also loved Season 1 of 'Heroes'. It's very addictive. Season 2, not so much.

9. Danoz

Certainly B5 would fall under that category, I think. Especially season one of B5.

10. Danoz

Hey bastard you try moving to a major city by yourself with a beautiful fiancee gone until April. I enjoy my sci-fi show at the end of the day like the best of us :).

11. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

You've already got the cream of the crop, everything is going to pale in comparison unfortunately. You might want to shift genres for awhile until some new Sci-fi comes along.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Deadwood.

What?

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Sci-Fi:
    Carnivale
    The X-Files but you may have already seen that.
    Twin Peaks

Non Sci-Fi:
    The Shield
    The Sopranos
    The West Wing

That should keep you busy. :techman:

14. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

If you keep an open mind like I suggest a person would never run out of sci-fi shows to follow, I've been watching sci-fi on TV for decades and never ran out because of being more open minded, I'm still critical and have my favorites however, but if a person is one of those "ugh this is old! this is animated that stuff is for kids!" yeah you are going to run out of stuff to watch.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Not Sci-Fi:
    The Wire

Sci-Fi
    The X-Files
    Millennium (kind of sci-fi)
    Farscape
    The Prisoner

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Farscape - not your Daddy's Star Trek. ;)

It's worth it alone just to find all of the Trek references the lead character uses in the series.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you haven't seen them, Lost and Dexter are highly recommended. Dexter's not sci fi but it doesn't matter when something's that good.

Farscape varies in quality but the characters are great and when it's good, it's really good.

Heroes is a lot of fun. S1 is great. It's a bit more boring in S2 and now in S3 it's back to being very fun but is getting really incoherent and the characters are dumber than ever. Check it out anyway, if the characters grab you, the flaws won't seem so important.

Delving into more non-sci-fi series - Big Love, Entourage and Deadwood are worth checking out. Entourage takes a a bit to get going, S1 isn't its best. The other two, either you'll like them from the first episode or don't bother with the rest.

18. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would say Stargate. Yes, there are valid complaints about the show, but it is something you can get into. The best way I can describe it is as kind of a guilty pleasure. It gets better as it goes, and is enjoyable. You know in the back of your head that it is not perfect, but it is fun and if you gel with the humor of the show, worth while.

19. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Space Above & Beyond. Twenty-two episodes, disappointing end because it was cancelled and there was a cliffhanger, but it had good military SF action, and interesting characters. It sometimes got too broody, war-is-hell, and the effects don't stand the test of time, but it's worth owning.

20. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Another vote for Doctor Who.