Travel Pod - with a booster???

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Robert Comsol, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll say.

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Yeah! I always liked the pentagonal docking port.

--Alex

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good find, Bob!

12' diameter circular doors. That's a bigger ship! :)

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

According to Richard Taylor's anecdote it wasn't a bigger ship but bigger doors Gene Roddenberry originally insisted upon. ;)

Bob

6. Maurice

I do question the accuracy of some of Taylor's claims. He worked for the VFX house, so, for example why would he be consulted about things like the bridge set? That's not typically how it works in Hollywood in a union shop like Paramount.

7. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he's a DESIGNER, not strictly a builder. They were working to build Star Trek as a new TV series, which meant they needed to make sure their VFX would work out reasonably well without a lot of hickups.

8. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

He also seems to be mis-remembering the "twelve-foot doors" thing, which appears to be applicable only for the Phase II model.

9. Maurice

Taylor was working for RA&A on TMP, not Phase 2. Brick Price Movie Miniatures were doing the Phase 2 models.

I was saying Taylor's claims re some of the design decisions he said he influenced (seat restraints, etc.) don't match what a VFX design director would normally do. I suppose it's possible he toured the sets and questioned some of the design decisions, but he seems to overstate his involvement in the process outside the VFX. But by this time I'm used to various people who worked on Trek all claiming to have suggested or designed the same thing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  10. Marlonius

Marlonius Lieutenant Red Shirt

Bit of a stretch, but I'll throw it out there...the travel pod was fitted with a rear projection rig to throw up the image of the passengers such that they could be seen from front view. Could this "booster" be the remnant of part of that apparatus?

11. Maurice

It was used with rear projection in TMP without any such additions.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see the Pod being the command section of a spartan ringship Enterprise-type warpsled. It can detach after a transit