ST XI badge??

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by hamudm, Jul 24, 2008.

1. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

It looks good. But we all know that TOS did not use those kind of badges for communication.

What really gets me is all the new movie props Paramount has released to people to place on eBay for them. Must be some kind of new viral marketing tool. ;)

3. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You joke now, but would you really put it past JJ? :lol:

4. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

No, I wouldn't. :lol:

5. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think its labeled as a communicator, but simply a badge much like a sheriff would wear - it also looks like what was on a gray jacket that we saw some months back.

Sharr

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would definitely prefer a badge to a gold piece of cloth sewn to their uniforms.

7. cbp44189

cbp44189 Commander Red Shirt

I prefer a patch. If you're crawling through a Jeffries tube, a pin could get snagged on something.

8. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I prefer a patch on the regular duty uniforms, with an ornamented metal pin on a dress jacket.

This is a good point.

The best insignia patch, IMO, was the WNMHGB/Series Concept Uniform patch, as seen here: [​IMG]

These logos are small, neatly designed, feel a bit more integrated into the uniform itself, and, overall, have a better proportion to them than any others used on the series.

Just my opinion, however.

Rob+

9. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The eBay badge looks like homemade junk.

Look at all the little hairs and dustbits that got caught in the paint spray.

[​IMG]

Then look at the top of the star. Whatever was used to tape it didn't quite work right, and some of the gold didn't cover what it should have. (Either that, or they painted the star and didn't do a very good job.)

As for the old picture, anyone notice Spock's "badge" has a star instead of the Science/Medicine emblem?

10. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, good eye. In my initial excitement, I didn't notice any of that. Thank you much for the heads' up there, for now I feel pretty foolish.

The top of the star is just too sloppy to be of much use. I think if I went and bought this thing, I'd have instant buyer's remorse.

11. GothTrek

GothTrek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's just a recast of the TOS command insignia from the Franklin Mint Insignia set they offered some years back. I have the entire set (both cases) hanging above my desk.

It's one thing to offer knock-offs of something. It's a whole other thing to lie about it.

12. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Check out my avatar. It is from the pictures that were posted a few months back that included a grey uniform and the transport shuttle.

13. cbp44189

cbp44189 Commander Red Shirt

Which brings up another question....Has any one figured out whether the insignia worn by the Enterprise crew is starfleet wide, or do most ships have distinctive ones, like the Constellation, Exeter, etc ?

14. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

The stripes on Kirk's shirt are the wrong material and rank. Maybe the insignia was adhered to the shirts; hers is sciences but on a gold shirt, the opposite of Spock's. I take it this was some publicity photo for TV Guide or similar. Is that correct?

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

So far as I'm aware, the delta insignia is the only one we've seen. Of course, we've seen very little, so there's not much there at this point to figure with.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The Shatner/Nimoy/Rand shots were the first wave of publicity stills for TOS.

Shatner is wearing Pike's shirt from "The Cage" (the wide stripes were supposedly gold-painted elastic bands from the Desilu mail room) and Grace is wearing Dr Dehner's uniform pants from WNMHGB.

Not long after this session, Grace and William Ware Theiss had their conversation about how to best show off Rand's femininity and Grace Lee Whitney's best attributes: her legs. And the Starfleet skant was born. (One thigh of the uniform was wrapped with material, to prevent the mini riding up.)

17. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Therin, I think you might be in error. I believe Kirk is wearing the uniform from the 2nd pilot. Pike had one stripe and everyone else had none or one as well, if I recall correctly. In the 2nd pilot, Kirk had two and other officers had a single gold band.

EDIT: Nevermind Therin, we are both incorrect. In looking at the picture again, the shirt has the black collar and correct 'command-track' color of the production uniforms. In neither pilot did the uniforms have the black collars. It is some darn hybrid uniform. I also love the velvety look of Spock's uniform. Looks like he 's big pimpin'!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm sure I remember Grace Lee Whitney mentioning it was Pike's shirt, but altered.

Spock's looks like velour. The velour turned out to shrink, not just with the first wash, but with every wash.

In any case, they are "screen test" uniforms, hastily cobbled together for the first series promo pics.

19. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info.

Spock's diggin' the velour he is rockin' ... check out the smirk on his face ...LOL.

I know he's thinking ..."Velour baby ... that's how this Vulcan rolls, bitches!!"

20. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

If they're going with the original velour, they're going to have a hard time with the material. The original uniforms were made of velour and they had problems with this shrinking, and they had to be altered a lot so they'd fit the actors.