THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.5%
  2. A

28.2%
  3. A-

21.8%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

10.9%
  6. B-

8.2%
  7. C+

6.4%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonderful map. :bolian:

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Not too informed about the Norse gods here... are these 9 realms from the comic books, or do they exist in the actual mythology? And if they exist, are they ordered the same way along the tree?

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The maps are well drawn, but they seem to be depicting things a lot closer to the real Norse mythos than the films do. For one thing Jotunheim in the film was shown as a normal globe shaped planet, not a floating ring of extra-dimensional mountains around earth.

Pretty much. Notice how the home of gods and elves and the halls of the honoured dead are above, while the underworlds are...well...under.

You'd be surprised how much of what we generally consider Christian cosmology is actually Norse. Even the word "Hell". Not sure how much influence Greek & Roman mythology had on the Norse, but there appears to be a number of similarities there too.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. It's actually pretty surprising (to me at least) how close a lot of the Marvel Comics Asgard stuff actually is to the original mythology. Obviously a lot is different, but it is still closer than I expected.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Something that confused me about the mythos in the films is how could the Norse know about Thor and Loki if they infants around the time Odin defeated the frost giants on earth, after which he appeared to withdraw to Asgard forever. Sif is even more confusing since she became a warrior around the same time as Thor and yet IIRC according to myth those two already have a daughter.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It was implied in the first movie that Thor had been to Earth before--

Fandral-- "This isn't like a trip to Earth where you summon a little lightning and the mortals worship you as a god, this is Jotunheim!"

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

As for Thor and Sif having kids, that's just a myth.;):lol:

10. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone got any opinions about the deleted scenes that come with the dvd?

There are a couple that i believe should not have been cut.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I firmly think the Frigga/Thor scene should've stayed and possibly the Jane/Thor scene as well.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Looking forward to Sif popping up on SHIELD next week . . ..

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't know about the others but I'm pretty sure Galactus is out thanks to 20th Century Fox owning Fantastic Four. IIRC, there were some rumors a while back that Marvel was trying to work out a deal with 20th Century Fox where Marvel would get Galactus back, presumably for use in Guardians of the Galaxy, in exchange for extending 20th Century Fox's option on Daredevil. That didn't happen and Daredevil has now reverted back to Marvel.

I keep hoping that they'll make a reference to their mythological relationship in one of the movies. Like, Darcy asks Sif about it at some point and Sif gets really embarassed.
    Sif: "I can't believe people still remember that. We were very young and it was only for a couple of weeks."
    Darcy: "Must've been a pretty memorable couple weeks."

14. Guy Gardener

We were talking about Infinity Gems earlier.

Something just happened in the latest issue of Iron Man that had me think about Iron Man 4 and how it will tie into the Infinity Gauntlet and Avengers 3 which smarter people probably picked up on a couple years ago...

The Mandarin is real according to the mini movie released with Thor where the Mandarin sent henchmen to destroy Trevor.

How many of the Makluan Rings are Infinity Gems, or are they together one Gem?

The Reality Gem, perhaps?

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Don't they have some other source of power in the comics? There's no real reason they have to be an Infinity Stone in the movie, particularly since I don't think there's going to be an Iron Man 4 before Avengers 3. I also have doubts that they're going to have both fake Mandarin and real Mandarin. I think real Mandarin is a shoutout to the fans to explain the first film's Ten Rings connection.

16. Guy Gardener

Malekith (Christopher Eccleston from Thor II) in the comics, has taken the Rings to do dastardly things with in the latest issue of Iron Man. Seeing those two side by side, even though it wouldn't make sense in the comics universe would mean something very different in the movie universe.

In the comics, the rings were part of a star drive from a ship that crashed on Earth thousands of year ago, used by aliens that look like shapshifting dragons called from Maklua. One of the Aliens Dragons is Fin Fang Foom, but his origin and their origin are inconsistent.

Are you ignoring, unaware or denying the Marvel One Shot All Hail the King where the real Mandarin sent a kill squad to deal with Trevor Slattery Jarok?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_One-Shots#All_Hail_the_King_.282014.29

17. Alidar Jarok

I'm not ignoring the one shot, but I'm also not ignoring the fact that it was a one shot. I think having both the real and fake Mandarin as an extra is something fans would appreciate. I think having a movie that advertised the Mandarin as a villain followed by a movie that advertises the Mandarin as a villain would confuse the general audience.

I'm also:
    a) Skeptical there will be an Iron-Man 4. After all, Robert Downey Jr. is not under contract for it.
    b) Convinced that it won't involve the Infinity Stones, since that plotline will likely be resolved by Avengers 3 and Iron-Man 4, at a minimum, won't come before that movie.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well since:

The Guardians movie will involve a third, hinted as 'the green one' which probably means something to the rest of you.

It'll be the 10th movie in the overall series before we ever get a 3rd stone, so they'll have to work some of them into the other movies soon, probably other than Thor.

Ant-Man and SHIELD will likely not have them, since the idea is to keep them all on separate planets, the Aether was in a pocket dimension and Bor did not tell Odin about it. So it wasn't his fault really two of them ended up 'sort of' close together.

Thanos may well already have one, I doubt Loki's little glowstick of destiny was it though.

19. Alidar Jarok

I could see Ant-Man having one if it is indeed a heist movie.

20. Guy Gardener