Frank Miller completely loses the plot

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, yeah, it does. If you believe that corporations are too powerful, don't enrich corporations.

It's especially egregious in the case of giant corporations that are also media companies, insofar as corporate media are one of their major targets.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The fact that you're defending the pepper spray incident is fairly repugnant. You honestly think the police should be pepper spraying non-violent citizens? That's skirting a little too close to police state for my tastes.

3. the G-man

If the police overreact in any situation, they should be disciplined and/or prosecuted. However, according to the expert I cited (and a number of court cases), the use of pepper spray against protesters isn't, per se, excessive force.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Then that needs to be changed ASAP.

5. the G-man

Not if more people would ultimately be injured, which seems to be part of the point of the CBS story I cited.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a great way to rationalize actions. We're pepper spraying you in the face to protect you.

7. the G-man

Of course, there's also restoring order and protecting society. Remember: the occupiers are the ones breaking the law in the first place.

8. Mr. Adventure

Why is it conservatives only distrust the government when it comes to tax and business regulation?

9. the G-man

Why is it liberals trust them with everything but public safety?

10. Mr. Adventure

Well that game can probably go all night. I just wouldn't unquestioningly accept what they say about public safety and to be fair it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. It just seems like it would be an easy stand to abuse which is what I'd be wary of.

11. the G-man

Yep. Kind of makes you wish you hadn't started it, eh? ;)

But, seriously, I'm fully aware that there may be situations where the police have overreacted. At the same time, I'm not going to automatically assume the use of pepper spray was unwarranted.

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I can only agree with you here, i think spraying any dangerous chemical indiscriminately at anybody simply to move them alone is a step in the wrong direction for any law, i certainly would class the act as excessive, especially for people simply protesting peacefully.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, those kids sitting down on the ground are a real threat to public safety and order.

Yes. It's called nonviolent civil disobedience. That doesn't mean that any action taken in retaliation is therefore justified.

Or, tell me, would the police in Birmingham have been justified in pepper spraying Martin Luther King during his sit-ins? After all, MLK was committing a crime.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

There is no avoiding the enrichment of corporations. Every time I buy a book, newspaper, watch a movie etc, I'm doing so, directly or indirectly.

One doesn't have to be against corporations and capitalism to think that executives paying themselves bonusses at a time when other people's standars of living is failing is obscene; one can be a capitalist or even a conservative and still think that the fact that lobbyists have politicians in their pocket is an affront to decency and democracy, as is the fact that politicians can vote in legislation that personally enriches them and organisations in which they have shares, without disclosing same to the electorate. Do you want to live in a country run by the likes of Silvio Berlusconi?

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Depends, do I get an invite to the bunga-bunga parties?

Of course the amusing thing is that Berlusconi was at least actually democratically elected (God alone knows how!) where as now there isn't a single elected official in the Italian govt!

But yeah, I'm pro Capitalism and I'm not anti anyone making money but some of the bonusses flying around are just plain ridiculous, and I like the idea of splitting the banks into highstreet/investment arms...it gets somewhat scary when people are saying levels of inequality will soon reach Victorian levels.

That said no one was complaining about the banks when they were handing out cheap loans/mortgages, and as corrupt as the whole system is people were a lot more accepting four or five years ago, and I do think people have to accept some level of accountability for the mess we find oursevles in.

Re the V masks, what I find amusing is that Fawkes is being held up as some kind of freedom fighter when he was effectively just a religious extremist terrorist. Imagine in 500 years time a bunch of protestors in Osama Bin Laden masks? (And I know V in the film was fighting a cruel dictatorship but most people just think it's Guy Fawkes and that he must be cool because he wanted to blow up Parliament and all the MPs-idiots!)

16. the G-man

Hell, we already have all the morons in Che shirts and that was only about fifty years ago.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

More from Moore:

http://www.honestpublishing.com/new...he-occupy-movement-frank-miller-and-politics/

18. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Che is hardly an apt comparison with Bin Laden.

People peacefully sitting down on a university commons are not a threat to anybody's safety.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Knew there was a reason I always liked Watchmen more than The Dark Knight Returns. :bolian:

No, he really is. He may have started out as a man who cared about people and wanted to end economic inequality, but in the end, the guy was presiding over the executions of hundreds of political prisoners in Cuba.

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Apparantly yes. That surprises me for this forum.

Particularly since a lot of it is money that they didn't earn. If these businesses were truly allowed to succeed or fail on their own, then it would be one thing. However, so many of them have gotten government bailouts, OUR money, yet we don't see a dime of benefit from it. I'm far from a Marxist, but considering how much public money has gone into these private corporations, I would say it's only fair that the people seize a portion of their assets for compensation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.