Smallville#801 "Odyssey" - Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Sep 17, 2008.

?

Grade "Odyssey"

1. SUPER

10.2%
  2. Above Average

55.1%
  3. Average

26.5%
  4. Below Average

6.1%
  5. BIZARRO

2.0%
  1. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    Yeah, but when they get really close and look into each other's eyes, maybe they'll start making out.

2. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Okay, so we have to have ALL the major arcs change in the same episode? Jeez, talking about erasing your former bosses.

I'm leaving the farm.
    I'm working at the Planet as a reporter. No mailroom for ME.
    My powers have changed from healing to the Amazing Kreskin.
    I'm no longer the Martian Manhunter. Maybe I can work the Kent Farm now that Clark is leaving.
    I'm a really bad version of Lex in a skirt.
    Jor-El is gone. (Yeah, right)
    Two of our identities are out in the open.
    I'm retracting my proposal for a muddled reason. But I want to marry you. Okay, that's great. So we don't have to get married then. WTF?

And where the hell is Clark's dog, anyway?

But I agree with an earlier poster that the episode has a really good visual look.

--Ted

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Funniest show I've seen all week. You gotta love the way things move in the Smallville world. I'm surprised Clark didn't get a job as an astronaut or CEO or race car driver.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Good luck and best wishes to your brother and family.

5. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know it's funny when you think about. I've heard people be upset because Clark hasn't gone through college and then gotten hired to the Daily Planet, but Smallville exists in its own little reinvented world.

The thing I find funniest is that Tom Welling & Erica Durance are older then Dean Cain & Teri Hatcher were when they started Lois & Clark.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Or Vice Presidential Nominee of the Republican Party.

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he coulda been going to college this whole time, ya know... :lol:

Except for that four months or whatever he was in Russia.

8. Dick Whitman

You are right, actually.

It would have been the easiest thing in the world to mention here and there that Clark was still in College. They would not have needed to focus on it at all. Just a sign that he had a life out side of the events of the actual episodes. But the writers were too lazy.

This is kind of a random comparison but I have been watching Family Ties again on DVD. Once Alex Keaton went off to College they rarely did episodes focused on his actual courses. Just as often you saw him hanging around the house as in previous seasons. But references were made to his College life. Just basic character details. While Clark has usually had no life outside of the plots of the actual episodes. They could had with minor effort or screen time setup his eventual job at the Planet.

Still it would not bother me if they retroactively suggest he has been taking Journalism courses on the side. It would be a cheat but worth it. Plus as I said Clark had been so thinly developed there are plenty of off camera gaps that can be filled.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe he finished college at super speed?

Actually, between Martha's position, Ollie's money, and Chloe's new found hacking skills, it would be too hard for him to "find" a diploma.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Manhunter and Jimmy came literally out of nowhere.

We needed an obligatory AC half naked moment to appease the teens and crazy kryptonsite members>_>

Clark's jacket/cape

The fortress is destroyed so it will be rebuilt with improvements in the southeast wing.

The end of season 4's moment was great. To do a take two and rebuild it again loses its impact IMO

Lets see if this season can destroy assumptions it will be a glorious train wreck

11. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gave it an above average too. When Smallville entertains, it entertains! When I saw the opening credits, my geek-o-meter went off and I said "Wow. Vader's Secret Apprentice!". I know The Force Unleashed just came out, but the writers have to take advantage of that.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Quick question which may be a spoiler (to me as everyone else as I haven't watched it yet).

Does he get his powers back by the end of episode ?

13. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

Hermiod

Yep, Martian Manhunter flies Clark into the sun, regenerating his powers and taking away MM's. The entire process takes, oh, three and a half seconds...

14. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

I agree with you oin this assessment. You could look at the Luthors and unerstand their motives and what drove them so, even if you didn't agree with them, you could at least see where they were coming from. I don't see that happening with the new villians.

Now, like the above poster said, I do see definite promise to the new season. I'll just have to adjust to a different view. I amit I "marked out" at the end when Clark talked about his first day at the Daily Planet.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Thank you. I appreciate it. He's on his way now (the bus was significantly late though and didn't arrive until 0900). They were supposed to depart at 0500.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Thanks. :)

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well as I said re: Clark working at the planet, it's entirely possible he called in his favor with Perry White. When Clark met Perry White way back in Season (3? 4?) at the end Perry was impressed with Clark as a person and said he had read some of Clark's work on The Torch and although Clark tends to bury his lead his work showed promise. White went on to say that he still may of had some friends at The Daily Planet and could call in some favors if Clark wanted a job there.

It's entirely possible Clark cashed in on the favor.

I liked Michael McKean as Perry White (though he isn't an ideal White) but I'd like to see the character White show up now at The Planet as an Editor if not EiC even if it means recasting it.

Like I said earlier, this was an OK episode even though if it was light on "plot" (and it suffered from the usual Smallville Premature Climaxulation in that the climax of the episode was over in seconds and then in the next scene (after the commercial) we're on to wrapping the episode.

In this episode it was after Clark gets shot with the arrow and MM comes and helps him. MM flies off and then after the commercial Clark is in his barn re-powered. Huh?! Ok they explained his repowering but I guess we can just assume Ollie, Aquaman, Canary and Chloe left the prison/compound just... fine? And aren't being pursued?

I'm hoping this episode was just a "cleaning up the mess of the finale" in that it was trying to wrap things up and re-set them for where they want the characters to be for the season. Fingers crossed.

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

So I guess the Fortress is not entirely "gone" since Miss Teschmacher, err, I mean Miss Tess Mercier has the crystal now.

19. Dick Whitman

It would be nice if they would start treating Martian Manhunter as an actual character. As opposed to a last second "deus ex machina" who cleans up Clark's messes. Or simply a mouth piece for exposition about Krypton. Phil Morris is too good of an actor to be wasted like this.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  20. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I gave it an average. It just seemed like they were cramming old stuff into a new package.

Daddy took away his powers (YAWN!) Been there, done that.

Damsel in distress

Evil guy who disappears at the end

Evil head of a corporation who will try to find out about Clark.

Nothing really new.